Smacking to be outlawed in Scotland

I'm shocked that anyone could consider showing an errant child a picture of Phil Jones.
Never mind the smacking, that would traumatise the poor little fucker for life.

As long as kids have boundaries and are brought up to have respect and manners that's the main thing and you don't need to smack them for that. Parents who stand there and ignore bad behaviour are the problem, not the kids.

I’ve a 10yr old boy and a 7 year old daughter. I’ve smacked my boy twice. Once, when he was 3, he put his fingers in the plug socket and I admonished him w ith a slapped wrist to try and deter him from doing it again. The second time, fairly recently, he hurt his sister by smacking her and so, to show him that I considered that wrong, I smacked him on the hand to show how that felt. Both times I immediately regretted it. Both times I acted in haste. Both times there were alternative actions I wish I’d taken. But, I recognise my fallibility as a parent and as a human. I’ll make mistakes, as do millions of parents every day. We act in haste. And sometimes, children will push every single button and a smack can seem the only way to stop them. I was hit as a kid. And I mean properly hit. My dad gave me a few cracks on the head that, at the time, I probably thought I deserved. And which he “reserved” for the very worst behaviour. I love my dad to bits but he now knows I considered what he did then as wrong. He was hit by his dad and my grandad was probably hit by his dad. But I think smacking, hitting, can be avoided, there are better ways. I teach and I’ve never ever once thought I wish I could have hit a child by way of punishment. I teach in a very tough area, but the kids react far better and behave much better when they know they’re loved and cared for - I never have a problem with pupils. Ever.

Do we need a law to prevent smacking? No. We need parents who look after their children properly, who set boundaries and who take the time to actively engage with their children. Get that right, and there will very rarely be a need to use physical power to “punish” a child. And, as I’ve said, we will always make mistakes as parents. No law can change that.

I’ve a 10yr old boy and a 7 year old daughter. I’ve smacked my boy twice. Once, when he was 3, he put his fingers in the plug socket and I admonished him w ith a slapped wrist to try and deter him from doing it again. The second time, fairly recently, he hurt his sister by smacking her and so, to show him that I considered that wrong, I smacked him on the hand to show how that felt. Both times I immediately regretted it. Both times I acted in haste. Both times there were alternative actions I wish I’d taken. But, I recognise my fallibility as a parent and as a human. I’ll make mistakes, as do millions of parents every day. We act in haste. And sometimes, children will push every single button and a smack can seem the only way to stop them. I was hit as a kid. And I mean properly hit. My dad gave me a few cracks on the head that, at the time, I probably thought I deserved. And which he “reserved” for the very worst behaviour. I love my dad to bits but he now knows I considered what he did then as wrong. He was hit by his dad and my grandad was probably hit by his dad. But I think smacking, hitting, can be avoided, there are better ways. I teach and I’ve never ever once thought I wish I could have hit a child by way of punishment. I teach in a very tough area, but the kids react far better and behave much better when they know they’re loved and cared for - I never have a problem with pupils. Ever.

Do we need a law to prevent smacking? No. We need parents who look after their children properly, who set boundaries and who take the time to actively engage with their children. Get that right, and there will very rarely be a need to use physical power to “punish” a child. And, as I’ve said, we will always make mistakes as parents. No law can change that.

Excellent post. We all know it's not ideal, and we're all fallible, but thank fcuk for a bit of perspective.

My line in the sand and always has been is a gentle smack on the bottom through clothing to shock and not hurt.

Is smacking a child on the head acceptable? No it isnt its abuse and its assault.

Is leathering a child with a belt or other implement ok? No it isnt, see above.

Are those two examples i've given acceptable if seen in public? No and would it be right to contact the police and possibly social services about it? Yes.

The issue here is lumping anything and everything under the one blanket and demonising millions of loving parents who do believe in and use a smacked bum now and then with the vast minority who go too far and who should be punished.

Its also practically unenforceable so as a piece of legislation it will do nothing imo to alter behaviour or protect any child that is being seriously abused.

Go after the bullies and abusers and i fully support that but parents dont need or want the government telling them how to look after or discipline their kids imo.
Well said mate.

That's a good post. At least you have admitted you have regretted it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.