The Worlds biggest Bands

No, it was more the six I'd want to see. Plus The Doors.

Ah, well if we’re doing bands we’d like to see I’d go The Beatles, Led Zep, ABBA, The Clash, Bowie and, yeh, the Doors is a good shout. My most fervent wish that is in theory still do-able though would be a one off reunion gig by The Jam. I’d sell my granny for a ticket to that. Alas Weller has pretty much said that hell would have to freeze over.......

If we're going for the Who and Genesis then what about Sabbath and Purple. Cant think of to many yank bands, to poodley
Sabbath have toured recently and Purple are,touring now so they wont have anything like the appeal of a band that hasnt toured for a while or years. Bands like Zepplin, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, Eagles and not at the moment but if a few years went by and we are talking original line ups at their peak then AC/ DC, Stones,

Ah, well if we’re doing bands we’d like to see I’d go The Beatles, Led Zep, ABBA, The Clash, Bowie and, yeh, the Doors is a good shout. My most fervent wish that is in theory still do-able though would be a one off reunion gig by The Jam. I’d sell my granny for a ticket to that. Alas Weller has pretty much said that hell would have to freeze over.......

Honestly, I'm not sure The Beatles would outsell Zeppelin on a tour. Bit of an unknown as The Beatles didn't tour that much, which does mean lots of people would want to see them, but Zep are a stadium band with a huge live reputation. Also, Zep are so popular in the States. Someone above claimed they are still the most played band on US Radio and they certainly are on classic rock stations.

Led Zeppelin.
Queen
Abba
Rolling Stones.
U2
Beatles.

Thats the multitudes taken care of and now for my ticket choice.

Led Zep
Hawkwind
Yes
Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Collins sat back on his drum kit with Chester.
Queen
Who

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen- assuming Freddie wasn't dead
Oasis - already shown how many people they can attract at gigs
The Smiths - demand would be huge for this.
The Beatles - young people would want to see what the fuss was about and oldies would love it.
Abba- again demand would be huge if they got back together.
Elvis

I'm sure people won't agree....especially with no 3!
I should just lock the thread now......

Honestly, I'm not sure The Beatles would outsell Zeppelin on a tour. Bit of an unknown as The Beatles didn't tour that much, which does mean lots of people would want to see them, but Zep are a stadium band with a huge live reputation. Also, Zep are so popular in the States. Someone above claimed they are still the most played band on US Radio and they certainly are on classic rock stations.

I think you grossly underestimate the Beatles ongoing global appeal, and I don't know about Led Zep's popularity in the States, but the Beatles were venerated there in a manner that strangely they never were in Britain......or at least not to the same degree. And they did nothing but play live, pretty much from 1959 through to 1966. They tend to get overlooked as a live act, partly because the studio albums were so critically acclaimed, and partly because their live shows in the early days barely lasted 40 minutes as they raced through 15 songs or so with no encores. Their back catalogue however is so utterly vast and the canonisation of Lennon (rightly or wrongly) since his death, so high profile, that I honestly think they would outstrip all comers were it to come to a fantasy tour.
I never really thought of the Beatles of a live act myself particularly until I watched Ron Howard's documentary last year, but even as a self confessed Beatles zealot I was blown away by how tight they were.......famously to the point that they couldn't hear each other in Shea Stadium where Ringo drummed by watching Paul's arse wiggle in time with what he was playing, yet were still collectively on the money from start to finish.
It goes without saying that I'd love to see Led Zep too and it'd certainly be a close run thing. If individual albums are any arbiter then Zep have the edge on the best sellers list with Led Zep IV at no.4 with global sales of 23,000,000. The White Album is the Beatles highest at no.10 with sales of £19,000,000. My contention would be that the Beatles weren't just an albums band, as they had 20 US no.1 singles and 17 more in the UK, of which 2 were double 'A' sides, where each side would have unquestionably reached no.1 in its own right. And over half of those singles were not then on any of their albums (From me to you, She loves you, I want to hold your hand, I feel fine, We can work it out, Day Tripper, Paperback Writer, Lady Madonna, Hey Jude and The Ballad of John & Yoko)

Last edited:
Biggest Bands By Decade (or so I would think.)

60s. The Beatles
70's. The Rolling Stones
80's. U2
90's. Metallica
00's. Foo Fighters
10's. I have no idea.

It's hard to tell because official record sales tracking has been dodgy in certain eras due to 'creative accounting practices.. But I bet each bands is near the top of the list of each of those decades.
Think many more albums were sold in 70’s and 80’s. If you are talking
Biggest Bands By Decade (or so I would think.)

60s. The Beatles
70's. The Rolling Stones
80's. U2
90's. Metallica
00's. Foo Fighters
10's. I have no idea.

It's hard to tell because official record sales tracking has been dodgy in certain eras due to 'creative accounting practices.. But I bet each bands is near the top of the list of each of those decades.
the 60’s we’re dominated by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and believe it or not the Monkees for album sales
The 70’s led zeppelin outsold the Stones massively

In terms of live draw, I believe that Zeppelin would still be the largest draw on the planet if they reformed. Floyd would be pretty massive. The Beatles obviously. Elvis. The biggest draws would be those that left an unsated appetite so for me The Who, Elton John, Sabbath, Purple, Yes, Genesis, th3 Stones, U2, probably ran their race and their popularity is on a down rather than upslope.

It would be all the oldie bands, Beatles,doors,led Zeppelin,etc,because only the old and retired could afford the tickets to fill the venues,the young couldn't afford it,fuck them anyway youth is wasted on the young

It's not so much a question of the biggest, and more about the rarest and most unlikely. A Zeppelin or Floyd tour would be enormous because it's so damn unlikely to happen, and if it did, there'd be a stampede for tickets because it probably would be the only chance. That's not really true of the regular touring bands - though oddly enough the likes of the Who have become a hotter ticket in the last few years, partly because they're still an extraordinary live act, but more because of an awareness that time to see them is running out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.