Wolves post match

It's a fact not an excuse
+1

Moreover, Pep was at pains to explain that he would not have mentioned the ball at all if he'd lost - since City won, Pep felt justified in lodging objections.

That said - the ball is probably "inferior" because the players aren't used to it.

If the Mitre ball were used in P/L and C/L games, then a change to another, non-Miter, characteristically different ball in some other competition, would almost certainly be met with complaint, as the new ball wouldn't behave in the manner expected of the accustomed ball.

Last edited:
Any reason why out game was the only one that started last night at 8.00 , and is there a case for matches that have the chance of going into extra time and penalties start at 7.45 whenever possible, I missed the last train home last night , thankfully I saw a mate who offered me a lift home , if I hadn’t seen him and might of had to miss the penalties just so I got back to Piccadilly in time for my train

Agreed (Real Madrid aside) - but I didn't selectively pick out players - I said that any injury to a defensive player - bar perhaps our goalie - would result in, at the very least, an experimental side - and likely in a side markedly weaker than prior to the hypothetical injury.

City is in its second season under Pep, and it's the first season with Pep in full control. Of course our team won't be completely optimal.

That said, we're not nearly deep enough in defense - that'll be sorted out next season.

Take two first choice defenders out through injury and any team is going to be a bit thin in terms of cover from then on. City have coped well enough with two out, if a third or a fourth was out, they'd start to struggle. That's true of anyone.

Well we are through now :)
Hope to get another home draw tonight

On another note Bravo got 9/10 in Evening news
You save 3 one on ones and 2 penalties, what do you need to do to get a 10 :)

Mixture of weakened side, in a cup competition, where normal rules don't apply ( hence such and such's "Cup final") a flyaway ball, and hey presto, a thrilling cup tie!

Yaya Touré on the Carabao Cup ball: "They can do better than that. It’s too light. Even in my country, they can’t use those kind of balls."

Yaya: "They have to be better than that because the ball was too soft. It’s rubbish, but that’s fine. The 2010 World Cup one was better."

Take two first choice defenders out through injury and any team is going to be a bit thin in terms of cover from then on. City have coped well enough with two out, if a third or a fourth was out, they'd start to struggle. That's true of anyone.
I don't follow enough teams to argue with this.

I will say, though, that Real Madrid's depth is unmatched - 3 or 4 defensive injuries wouldn't set them back at least if not all to the same position.

But no team in world football can match Madrid's depth, at least at present.

And our depth - as I've pointed out - isn't at all in defense - it's on offense. We have some backup on defense - and we've been fortunate that Delph unexpectedly is coping so well at left back (I didn't foresee this).

Two injuries to fullbacks, or two at center back (well, actually maybe just one b/c Kompany is permanently injured), or one injury at pivot - leaves us in trouble. And Delph hasn't been anywhere near injury free - we may be living on borrowed time there.

Are we a team that's deep enough to challenge for the P/L and C/L? - I hope so - but we're an injury away on defense from putting that to a real test.
======
Finally, our ambition under Pep isn't to win the P/L - we've already done that in the recent past - and should wrap up the P/L this year and in most years to come under Pep.

Rather, our ambition is to be the best team in world football - to win the C/L. It would help big time if we could sustain 2 injuries to any defensive position bar goalie. The key to this is having versatile players in our squad, capable of filling in at multiple positions without a huge drop in team performance.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.