Breaking records/stats thread

If the sequence of games was unbeaten rather than consecutive wins, and Wolves had won the penalty shootout. Would anyone argue that we were still unbeaten?
That's a good point. I would argue that City had drawn aet but lost on penalties and for sequence purposes the run was over (any team trying to claim an unbeaten run continued in that case would be laughed at and rightly so)>

This City sequence will always have an asterisk against it though. On Blue Moon in 2082, there'll be argument about whether it should have counted or not.

And that's always been normal practice (and the nature of Blue Moon that arguments can appear over the oddest things). Dig out the original stats books and you'll see lots of these. In Ray Goble and Andy Ward's 1987 MCFC Complete Record the FMC Northern semi-final was recorded as: Sunderland (h) 0-0 (City won 5-4 on penalties). Standard practice, drawn game at end of play but won on penalties. The same is true for the Rothmans/Sky Sports yearbooks, for example 2016-2017 edition MCFC pages: Capital One Cup: Final Liverpool (Wembley) 1-1 (aet; Manchester City won 3-1 on penalties).

Many spreadsheets shown on internet web pages can't handle this but it's the way football games won on penalties have been recorded ever since the start of penalty shoot outs.

As will City and all others reporting it I'm sure. It's standard practice to qualify it when it's won in that way.
Record keepers must have a convention? I sent an enquiry to the Guinness Book of records asking them how they would deal with the scenario. They will get back to me within 2 weeks.

Actually, I'm not an official source. I'm not employed by MCFC (or anyone at the moment actually) but MCFC are the official source in this case. It is City's club record and therefore they decide what is and isn't an acceptable record for the club. Please take it up with those who decide, not me. Thanks

(Note: if it becomes a national record then the FA - and ultimately IFAB if it escalates - will decide, not me, City, Sky, BBC, Opta, the local bookie or anyone else. This is a winning sequence record, and in the simplest of terms that game had to have a winner, the team that scored most in the penalty shoot out was the winning team, so why is it so hard to accept that a winning sequence has continued? If the FL are happy to say City won the game and City say their sequence continues then I'm happy to agree with them both as it is a club record, not a Fred Done record or anyone else for that matter).
Gary, don't take offence that I disagree with you. The reason I believe you are the official source is because City have said they were told by the city historian it counted as a win despite much debate in their offices, I assume that historian is You. You then said it was united precedent, a precedent that actually seems to show it as a draw. Then it was IFAB who actually say the match is drawn. So it's pretty clear that it's a grey area.

As for why it's so hard to accept that a sequence is is going? That's surely obvious, Stats are pointless if they are wrong and different teams class a result differently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.