Attack by Napoli fans.

Just back in hotel in head green, that was horrendous, Napoli is a dump and their "fans" are animals. I won't be back there again. Will post an account of what happened when i get a chance.

Great night! Still here in Naples,great city but it's such a shame it has it's fair share of cowardly scumbags! Must admit I was glad to get in the hotel as Naples isn't a nice place at 2am,Sergio Aguero I fucking love you!!!!!!

They have bad unemployment i think right? A lot of bored men with to much time on their hands is never a good thing. Get them all working hard and they will soon be to knackered to even think about going out causing hassle.
That's a big part of the problem, for sure. I used to spend a lot of time in Naples and the surrounding area when I was a teenager - would stay with a family and live there for a month or so at a time - and it is a very impoverished city (I think it is still one of the poorest cities in all of Europe).

One of the main issues there is that it is mafia run. There is no proper local authority running things. Amenities, even things as basic as bin collecting, are managed by the mafia. I remember one time seeing a bin at the end of a street (they don't have individual wheelie bins like we do, but big shared trash cans) that had caught fire because of the heat, and it burned all day without anyone coming to put it out - and it was implied to me by my friends that this was likely because a fee hadn't been paid to the local mob, or they simply had their hands full elsewhere.

I'd say that 1/3 young lads I met in my time there were involved or part of the network - everything from legit tradesmen to drug dealing. The north-south divide is strong in Italy, particularly in the early 2000s, and Naples was in pretty much abandoned by the northern-centric government.

I really enjoyed my times there - food was amazing, locals were good to me and parts of Naples are really beautiful - but there are aspects that are just horrendous (namely where the football stadium is, and for Christ's sake don't go anywhere near the bus station!). It's not an away fixture that I would go to!

That's a big part of the problem, for sure. I used to spend a lot of time in Naples and the surrounding area when I was a teenager - would stay with a family and live there for a month or so at a time - and it is a very impoverished city (I think it is still one of the poorest cities in all of Europe).

One of the main issues there is that it is mafia run. There is no proper local authority running things. Amenities, even things as basic as bin collecting, are managed by the mafia. I remember one time seeing a bin at the end of a street (they don't have individual wheelie bins like we do, but big shared trash cans) that had caught fire because of the heat, and it burned all day without anyone coming to put it out - and it was implied to me by my friends that this was likely because a fee hadn't been paid to the local mob, or they simply had their hands full elsewhere.

I'd say that 1/3 young lads I met in my time there were involved or part of the network - everything from legit tradesmen to drug dealing. The north-south divide is strong in Italy, particularly in the early 2000s, and Naples was in pretty much abandoned by the northern-centric government.

I really enjoyed my times there - food was amazing, locals were good to me and parts of Naples are really beautiful - but there are aspects that are just horrendous (namely where the football stadium is, and for Christ's sake don't go anywhere near the bus station!). It's not an away fixture that I would go to!

That is pretty mad, mafia run the local amenities haha. I did hear once Italians do not care about politics because it is just one corrupt bunch after the next. I was aware the mob had a big footprint but no idea they ran waste management and stuff, badly to it seems. The north south divide is interesting, in fact now i think about it i have next to 0 knowledge about Italian politics proper. The only stuff i do know is Berlusconi is a pimp and was head honcho for a while, dodgy as they come he is.

Cheers for that reply, informative posts on bm are something to cherish haha.

Brilliant result, lots of hanging around after the final whistle, as usual, and no trouble walking back from the drop off to the hotel.
The worst bit was having to get up at 6am to catch the train back to Rome.
At the airport now so all' good.

That is pretty mad, mafia run the local amenities haha. I did hear once Italians do not care about politics because it is just one corrupt bunch after the next. I was aware the mob had a big footprint but no idea they ran waste management and stuff, badly to it seems. The north south divide is interesting, in fact now i think about it i have next to 0 knowledge about Italian politics proper. The only stuff i do know is Berlusconi is a pimp and was head honcho for a while, dodgy as they come he is.

Cheers for that reply, informative posts on bm are something to cherish haha.
Haha, you're welcome. It's not a period of my life I get to talk about that often! Was a great experience, though, and I have some very fond memories of my stays there. The thing is, the mafia in the south of Italy - but particularly in Naples - infiltrated everything. So the people in positions of local authority making decisions, even seemingly trivial ones, will most likely be 'connected'. From what I gather reading about it all and the odd catch up with old friends is that since the national government crackdown on the mob things have kind of gotten worse, as the old power structures that kept the city working and running have been eroded and left a void - hence all the bored youths and idiot Ultras causing mayhem, for example.

Another little story to show what it felt like there. When I was about 17 my mates and I went out to buy some weed and ended up buying it from some Turkish guys at a beach near to where we were staying (yeah, I know, but we were young and stupid). Smoked it that night and a couple of the lads got really, really ill. We told someone who I guess then told the owner of the beach (big hairy guy we called 'Mitch' because he looked like the Hasselhoff Baywatch character). In the early hours of the morning I was asleep and was awoken by some popping sounds. Turns out that Mitch and his posse had gone to 'deal' with the Turks and got into a gun fight, with the Turks escaping on a speedboat. I wasn't around for it but my friend said one of Mitch's group contacted him with words to the effect of "You buy from us, and only us, got it?". Really shook me up.

Lucky enough to have not seen any trouble.
Tip of a place good trip spoiled by after game lock in.
Great cafe for a few drinks pre match just over the road from the bus pick up point.
Met some good Blues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.