Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said 10, said in the middle. Aguero off, Bernardo on...in the middle. Even when Jesus came on (CF!), Bernardo stayed in the middle and Jesus went out left.

Regardless, he is a quality player who was unlucky with two first time shots.....from the CF position! ;-)

You said "He is an AM, in the mould of David Silva, and should be used as David’s relief valve"

Bernardo coming on as a false 9 isn't Pep playing him in Silva's position. We didn't learn anything new either, he's come on as a false 9 several times before, and then gone on to start wide right.

You said "He is an AM, in the mould of David Silva, and should be used as David’s relief valve"

Bernardo coming on as a false 9 isn't Pep playing him in Silva's position. We didn't learn anything new either, he's come on as a false 9 several times before, and then gone on to start wide right.
This is the Sterling thread mate,Bernardo and and Silva both have their own,cheers.

That was a coming of age performance last night. That is what I have wanted to see from him since we signed him. He took the game by the scruff of the neck and was like "Yeah, I belong on this field with all these big names". If he carries on like this, he will bag 25 goals this season.

So is that your way of saying you missed something?? (:

He's had this level in his game since he arrived, what's happened is pep has developed his consistency and calmed his anxiousness..

I think it was you Ninj who was extremely critical of his shooting last year and didn't think at '21' it could improve, we have to remember who is coaching him here..

This isn't a pop by the way, we've all done it, myself over silva 18 months ago, however on this one I will gloat (:

Going Arsenal, isn't he?

Peps management of him and sane alone should highlight we have the best coach in world football.... said it countless times but pep is from the same stock as bacon face, he turns the potential into consistency, the good becoming very good, the very good world class... the ceiling for sterling is anyone's guess but it's certainly only going to get better...

It's interesting as previously off days from our 'go to guys' can be accommodated due to the level of sterling, sane et al!!!

Hard to know just how good Raz is going to be but quite clearly he has proved doubters about his technique wrong, his pace is undeniable, but it is the intelligence of his play that I suspect has caught a lot of people out. He's a bright kid and appears to be a sponge sucking up all the coaching that Pep is giving him. On his goal last night he made a lovely little move just before Kev passed to him to both stay onside and give himself a bit more room to work.

So is that your way of saying you missed something?? (:

He's had this level in his game since he arrived, what's happened is pep has developed his consistency and calmed his anxiousness..

I think it was you Ninj who was extremely critical of his shooting last year and didn't think at '21' it could improve, we have to remember who is coaching him here..

This isn't a pop by the way, we've all done it, myself over silva 18 months ago, however on this one I will gloat (:

If this is correct then I feel I have been vindicated in my criticism of him. He may have had it in him but we sure as hell haven't seen it, nothing like on a regular basis anyway. That last night is his level now, not "hes got 15 assists blah blah" but hes gone missing for most of the games.

As for his shooting, has there been a major improvement? What has undoubtedly improved is the positions he gets himself into. He is never going to strike a ball like Messi or Ronaldo on a consistent basis but to accommodate he is getting himself into a lot of 'cant miss' situations (not including last night by the way, that was a nice finish). Whether this is Pep/Sterling or a mixture of both, long may it continue.

If we are agreed that last night was one of, if not his best ever performance in a City shirt then maybe we were both correct/incorrect last season?

I don't believe he was playing at the required level, you did. Last night says you were wrong.
I didn't believe he had a performance like last night in him, you did. Last night says I was wrong. :-)

I want the lad to succeed, if he does and I have to eat some humble pie along the way, nothing would make me happier.

That was a coming of age performance last night. That is what I have wanted to see from him since we signed him. He took the game by the scruff of the neck and was like "Yeah, I belong on this field with all these big names". If he carries on like this, he will bag 25 goals this season.

Definitely but it underscores what Pep had said pre-match too, that most of the squad really don't have much CL experience and perhaps it showed a bit against Monaco last season. To win against a formidable opponent, away and at a difficult ground - well, that's a sign of not just maturity but the winning mentality all fans, coaches & players look to acquire

I ask again, would the pursuit of Alexis in winter be the best idea atm? They have something really special now and still can get better, you throw in a new variable and you have to recalibrate all over the pitch. Most teams would relish these sort of 'problems'

Definitely but it underscores what Pep had said pre-match too, that most of the squad really don't have much CL experience and perhaps it showed a bit against Monaco last season. To win against a formidable opponent, away and at a difficult ground - well, that's a sign of not just maturity but the winning mentality all fans, coaches & players look to acquire

I ask again, would the pursuit of Alexis in winter be the best idea atm? They have something really special now and still can get better, you throw in a new variable and you have to recalibrate all over the pitch. Most teams would relish these sort of 'problems'

Its a tough one because if we go back to last season we had wide forwards who put simply, didn't score enough goals. Our pursuit of Sanchez was surely to change that. What has transpired so far this season, is that all of a sudden we have wide forwards who are scoring at top striker levels and clearly the need for Sanchez has weakened. What does worry me, is players getting burned out and/or picking up injuries and us struggling to replace them e.g. If Sterling gets injured tomorrow, do we have any faith that Bernardo can step in and score at the same rate? I don't. If he was replaced by Sanchez however maybe he wouldn't be missed as much? I would like us to still sign Sanchez but only if he is rotated like the rest of them. I don't want to see him become 1st choice and the likes of Sane benched all the time.

If this is correct then I feel I have been vindicated in my criticism of him. He may have had it in him but we sure as hell haven't seen it, nothing like on a regular basis anyway. That last night is his level now, not "hes got 15 assists blah blah" but hes gone missing for most of the games.

As for his shooting, has there been a major improvement? What has undoubtedly improved is the positions he gets himself into. He is never going to strike a ball like Messi or Ronaldo on a consistent basis but to accommodate he is getting himself into a lot of 'cant miss' situations (not including last night by the way, that was a nice finish). Whether this is Pep/Sterling or a mixture of both, long may it continue.

If we are agreed that last night was one of, if not his best ever performance in a City shirt then maybe we were both correct/incorrect last season?

I don't believe he was playing at the required level, you did. Last night says you were wrong.
I didn't believe he had a performance like last night in him, you did. Last night says I was wrong. :-)

I want the lad to succeed, if he does and I have to eat some humble pie along the way, nothing would make me happier.

Read why I said 'consistency', something you argued shouldn't be a problem due to his age being a factor. It was reinforced that regardless of how many games he's played that his age was indeed a factor, it's just others were able to see that having a peak period isn't worth one iota unless it's developed consistently, something he is now doing... you weren't critical, you were dismissive, a lot like above, in that you couldn't see the improvement ever becoming consistent because of his 'flaws', it was shortsighted then and its shortsighted now..... simply watch his composure and how he is now striking the ball, it's called a maturing...

Anyway, who gives a fuck, we're winning, all is good in the world!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.