Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the shit that was flung at him last season was outrageous and there are plenty who should be ashamed.

I think several things have happened to Raheem over the last 12/18 months.

Firstly he has probably grown up us a person as well as a footballer. Its a process we all have to go through, not always successfully and some later than others. In Raheems case I would say his age is about average for this to happen.

Pep, clearly needed time to work with him and the rest of the squad, and lets not forget that the players would need quite sometime to get familiar with and comfortable with Peps ways. Raheem no different than the rest.

The arrival of Leroy Sane is perhaps an overlooked factor in all of this, as he and Sterling apparently hit it off straight away and became close mates. Sane perhaps had a better attitude and general outlook than Sterling and some of that may well have rubbed off, not to mention nobody likes to be beat, bettered, or in anyway out done by their mates adding a little friendly edge to things.

Whatever the reasons this lad has really started to show the potential many have believed he had. Last nights performance was his best, it was world class but then so were a few others.

What level he can reach time will tell, but whilst he is involved with the manager and players he currently is, I can see nothing other than further and probably significant improvement.

If this is correct then I feel I have been vindicated in my criticism of him. He may have had it in him but we sure as hell haven't seen it, nothing like on a regular basis anyway. That last night is his level now, not "hes got 15 assists blah blah" but hes gone missing for most of the games.

As for his shooting, has there been a major improvement? What has undoubtedly improved is the positions he gets himself into. He is never going to strike a ball like Messi or Ronaldo on a consistent basis but to accommodate he is getting himself into a lot of 'cant miss' situations (not including last night by the way, that was a nice finish). Whether this is Pep/Sterling or a mixture of both, long may it continue.

If we are agreed that last night was one of, if not his best ever performance in a City shirt then maybe we were both correct/incorrect last season?

I don't believe he was playing at the required level, you did. Last night says you were wrong.
I didn't believe he had a performance like last night in him, you did. Last night says I was wrong. :-)

I want the lad to succeed, if he does and I have to eat some humble pie along the way, nothing would make me happier.

What a ****ing weapon.

Some utter utter divs amongst our support.

He just can't win can he? Just shows how powerful 2 years worth of media propaganda is.

What a ****ing weapon.

He just can't win can he? Just shows how powerful 2 years worth of media propaganda is.

The problem is that certain posters dug themselves massive holes last season. Not content with just criticising his current play when he was having a dip in form, they wrote him off completely, he'd never be good enough, he had no technique, no mental strength, no intelligence, and was just a pace merchant.

Now that they're being made to look like complete fools, it's hard to climb down and just say, "yeah I was completely and utterly wrong". So now they'll look for reasons to justify their criticism or convoluted ways about how they were right anyway.

What a ****ing weapon.

What the frig you on about?

His performance last night was top-notch and better than anything he produced all last season. Last season he had numbers but for me not the performances and I wanted more. Last night he gave that, take away his goal in the dying minutes and it would have still been his best performance.

What that has to do with media propaganda is beyond me.

The problem is that certain posters dug themselves massive holes last season. Not content with just criticising his current play when he was having a dip in form, they wrote him off completely, he'd never be good enough, he had no technique, no mental strength, no intelligence, and was just a pace merchant.

Now that they're being made to look like complete fools, it's hard to climb down and just say, "yeah I was completely and utterly wrong". So now they'll look for reasons to justify their criticism or convoluted ways about how they were right anyway.

I have already stated I made errors of judgement.

I am not going to get into a discussion/argument with you, we have done that already, as you have with approx 90% of other posters on here. I cant be bothered again but I will ask you one very simple question................

Is Raheem Sterling playing significantly better this season than last?

I have already stated I made errors of judgement.

I am not going to get into a discussion/argument with you, we have done that already, as you have with approx 90% of other posters on here. I cant be bothered again but I will ask you one very simple question................

Is Raheem Sterling playing significantly better this season than last?

No, not significantly. He was excellent in the first couple of months last season, he didn't keep it up, granted, his good performances were more sporadic after that. In line with how the whole team performed really.

Never doubted him myself, but i agree that Sane's presence helps him aswell. Both of them are really fast and then it's good to have some space in front of them, and having one of them on each flank will usually push the defenders to play more wide often creating more space for the other. Also the cross passing in our team is pretty good so we can easily switch flank where space asks for it.

Youre fucked as an opposing team trying to defend against all of our dangers. You can't leave wingers like Sane or Raz to play their game or they are going to punish you, but otoh if you cover those flanks better you just create more opportunity's for the danger that we emit from the middle allowing more trough balls for our forwards to run on. I think a big part of our current succes is simply that all our players are really effective at the tactical function they have so to create space for others, our team has too many dangers comming from all side's for any defense to easily hold back. It's not like you can easily double mark one or 2 key players and hope to shut down our offense like that.

Raz has the right stuff what we need on our flank, especially since his finishing has improved so much. Just another very dangerous player that you couldn't ignore.

Last edited:
No, not significantly. He was excellent in the first couple of months last season, he didn't keep it up, granted, his good performances were more sporadic after that. In line with how the whole team performed really.

Exactly. Yet if anyone dared criticize him at the time it was met with "He has 20 assists blah blah". Yeah he did have plenty of assists, you know who else gets loads of assists? Ozil, his team don't win titles either.

I questioned last season whether or not Sterling had the ability/mentality to play like a champion. It had nothing to do with media propaganda or any other outside influences. This season he is making me look foolish and I am delighted to admit it. However, nobody will convince me I was wrong about the majority of his performances last season, his current level only reinforces my belief that he wasnt 'that' good last year. He was good but the sucking of his cock on here was quite incredible. Zin alluded to it being age-related and players getting better as they get older and ok in a lot of cases that is a valid argument but my counter to that is I wasn't seeing any progression year on year. For me, his breakout season for Liverpool was better than anything we had seen from him in a City shirt up until this season. There hasn't been a steady progression, more like a lull and then all of a sudden an explosion this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.