Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Are we going for Yaya/Weigl/Savic/Jorginho technician or more tenacious Fernandinho/Fabinho type of player next year? The question is still open. With each game it becomes clearer that Pep is building a team more resembling of his Bayern and Enrique's Barca, than his Barcelona and Sarri's Napoli. Good in possession, but not to the extremes, more focused on fast vertical transitions after build-up from deep. That's the way we defeated Pool, Shakhtar and Napoli - the latter two are better in possession in 'high' areas than City, still we've turned it into our advantage.

I was sure that 1-st type is the answer, but Dinho shows that both types can work if integrated well (my MOTM vs Napoli). Now the rumours on Emre Can have surfaced.
Wonder if Guardiola has already made up his mind about it.

I don't think there's as clear a divide as you think. Milinkovic-Savic is certainly not just technical, he's a massive lump and fast and big tackler. A very physical player who's technically brilliant.

Diawara too is mobile and can carry the ball forward.

I don't think we'll get Weigl who is really the only one we've been linked with whos not got a physical presence or dynamic game, otherwise everyone we're linked with has the combination of technical skill, physicality and forward thinking.

I don't think there's as clear a divide as you think. Milinkovic-Savic is certainly not just technical, he's a massive lump and fast and big tackler.

Diawara too is mobile and can carry the ball forward too.

I don't think we'll get Weigl who is really the only one we've been linked with whos not got a physical presence or dynamic game.
Savic is extremely powerful but fairly slow from what I've seen. Not as athletic as Dinho, that's why I've put him into 'Busquets' category.

Savic is extremely powerful but fairly slow from what I've seen. Not as athletic as Dinho, that's why I've put him into 'Busquets' category.

Wouldn’t really put him in the Busquets category. Does he have the potential to play there? Yes.

But he often gets forward and rarely is he sitting back in front of the back 4 like Busquets. That what Lucas Leiva does for Lazio. He sits back and it allows Milinkovic-Savic to get forward. You should know this after following Serie A!!!

Wouldn’t really put him in the Busquets category. Does he have the potential to play there? Yes.

But he often gets forward and rarely is he sitting back in front of the back 4 like Busquets. That what Lucas Leiva does for Lazio. He sits back and it allows Milinkovic-Savic to get forward. You should know this after following Serie A!!!
He's playing as deep-lying 8 for Lazio, often makes runs forward. But it's not difficult to imagine how's he going to play as a pivot.

I've divided DMs into 2 categories just for the sake of simplicity, in reality different qualities form unique skillsets for every player.
@domalino Diawara combines both traits, spot on. Saw his stats from Genoa game - he's covered 12km+, incredible athleticism.

Nah, M-Savic is no slouch, he's looks a bit lumbering because he's just so big, but he's deceptively fast over 5-10m and then with lots of open ground he's got the long stride length that's a bit like a young Yaya where he just moves away from people. He'd run circles around Busquets!

I think Delph would do nicely in this roll next season. Has been fairly good defensively and excellent in those midfield positions. Don't think we need to buy a dm as long as we buy a left back. I also think Maffeo could play this role as well.

I think Delph would do nicely in this roll next season. Has been fairly good defensively and excellent in those midfield positions. Don't think we need to buy a dm as long as we buy a left back. I also think Maffeo could play this role as well.

I am wondering if we will allow fernandihno to leave when his contract expires will Delph become the back up DM? I doubt he will get much game time at LB if we buy another LB.

Fernandinho, Delph, Danilo, Gundogan, Douglas Luiz or Maffeo.

I am sure all of them well do well there, but I am not sure about Danilo he might fail.

Fernandinho, Delph, Danilo, Gundogan, Douglas Luiz or Maffeo.

I am sure all of them well do well there, but I am not sure about Danilo he might fail.
Pep has to try Danilo first! I am surprised he Pep hasn't played him there since his liverpool cameo

How abot emre can guys? He is a good player and only 23 with premier league experience. Pep will improve him.
Next season we could be doing our business for free. Maffeo, sanchez, ghoulam, can and roberts. We should buy evans this january and if possible sanchez. But 0 million in summer is not bad isnt it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.