Dublin

Chev Chelios

Going for the first time in December for a couple of days (Derby Weekend) what’s the city like,Things to do/visit etc And most importantly bit of a long shot,A bar for the derby which won’t be over run with Rags.

Going for the first time in December for a couple of days (Derby Weekend) what’s the city like,Things to do/visit etc And most importantly bit of a long shot,A bar for the derby which won’t be over run with Rags.

It's a nice place. Guinness tour is a must just to say you have done it, and the view from the bar at the end is nice, The Dingle Whiskey Bar is great, Trinity College for the book of Kells, loads of church type stuff if that's your bag, Phoenix Park with the Zoo in it, Temple Bar area if you want a tourist craic and the tram reconstruction might have just been finished!

Expensive

Only if you go in the tourist traps like any city. If you go across the river and explore the streets you'll find proper Irish bars, the ones that don't have an "Irish Bar" sign. I watched City in Frank Ryan's bar on the other side of the Liffey. Lovely little proper boozer at decent prices. The Brazen Head is Dublin's oldest pub. Doesn't look much outside but nice inside and they have music on most days.

As Bimbo said the Guinness tour is good. I liked Kilmain gaol tour, really interesting and eerie. Best bet is to get the open top bus and go round, stops at all the tourist bits. Try and have a pint at every stop :).

My Brother in-law went to Dublin with a golf society and one of the lads is called Dave Sergeant,,,, top tip, don't shout across the pub and ask "what you drinking Sarge"

They had to leave sharpish afterwards.....

Spent a total of 3 hours in Ireland recently myself when I flew in to update a vehicle aligner (5 minute job) and and flew out on the next flight.. I plan to go back

I went for the first time last weekend. The green DODublin hop on hop off bus is a good way to see the city and get your bearings. We did it on our last day but in hindsight it would have been better to go on it on day one and then choose which attractions you want to see on day two.

Being a Dub plenty of places to see and do. Dont worry about watching the game any pub you go into will be showing the pub. The hardest thing is finding a pub with little to no rags in it and thats the hardest part of the city. Its jammed with Rags.

Avoid Temple Bar crazy prices and once it goes past 12 midnight prices go up again. Get a leap card when your over top it up with 20 euro and if your based in the City you will be covered.

Eatting I would highly recommend Dame Street they will have food everything you wish and more. I love Bobos , Crackbird and Smokin Bones on that street all good prices for food and you wont be starving.

If you want to go do the tourist things all of the museums are free. IF you like your whiskey a new whiskey place opened down the road from Guinnesses called Teelings its only recently opened but i have heard good things about it on James Street.

IF you want advice on where your staying let me know and i be able to give you a rough idea how to get around there or whats close to your hotel.

It's a nice place. Guinness tour is a must just to say you have done it, and the view from the bar at the end is nice, The Dingle Whiskey Bar is great, Trinity College for the book of Kells, loads of church type stuff if that's your bag, Phoenix Park with the Zoo in it, Temple Bar area if you want a tourist craic and the tram reconstruction might have just been finished!
Sorry but as a Guinness drinker myself,there is absolutely no way I would pay 25 fucking euros,just to get one pint back.Thats the entrance cost nowadays to the Guinness site,a fat bastard big rip off.
I was only there 2 weeks ago but I agree with the rest of your post and we will certainly be going back again.
The open top bus tour (Hop on hop off) is brilliant and well worth the money with the drivers giving some wonderful and amusing insight to Dublins history.

A pub that you must visit on the northside of the City give or take a 10 minute drive from O Connell street is the Gravediggers pub now you wont be able to watch the match in that pub on the day as they dont have any tvs in the place a beautiful pub beside Glassnevin Graveyard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.