VAR (PL introduction 2019)

I had originally been all for it, but post Calvert-Lewin dawned the realisation that it will just constitute an additional tier of bias to the management of games, as the man in front of the screen will be under the same pressures as the referee is now, in terms of which teams have the most clout and will use their friends in the media to make the most fuss if punished. If Kyle Walker wafts an arm anywhere near an opponent, the expectation will be that the full draconian letter of the law will be applied. If Hair Bear does it, discretion will be exercised. In short the VAR system will be whatever the FA wants it to be. Just think of an X Factor 'sing off'. If the contestant Cowell wants to go through sings well, the criteria will be who has sung best on the night, but if the contestant Cowell wants to go through sings badly, he'll change the criteria to who has the greater overall potential. I have no confidence that it'll be anything other than a total farce

Thought it would be good myself but have similar doubts now.

Forget about the ref what if the video observer has a bias and pulls the game back to reverse a previous good decision by the ref..
As you say if enough commercial bias is there it gives a second opportunity for their personal choice to be shall we say rewarded.

Having seen Howard Webb say that Jesus Navas was fouled in the penalty area but it was a good decision not to give a penalty because he fell funny I'm going to have to say no.

We'll still get ripped off and it will be even more frustrating.

Think it can work provided it's limited to what it assists on.
The Stones header against Napoli was a good example as the decision was given within a couple of seconds.

football is all about opinions, this var will take some of that away which imo makes the game worse, i don't want a sterile game,we already have sterile stadiums and nobody likes it ,yet people want sterile football, footballs done alright without it for over a hundred years,

Football will be the only sport which arrives at a different conclusion to what actually happened AFTER looking at said incident from every single angle on a 360deg shoot! It will be used to maintain whatever status quo Richard Scudamore thinks will develop the PL brand.

Football will be the only sport which arrives at a different conclusion to what actually happened AFTER looking at said incident from every single angle on a 360deg shoot! It will be used to maintain whatever status quo Richard Scudamore thinks will develop the PL brand.
quite honestly I think developing the PL brand includes City being winners under Pep and the style of football we play, jeez it sells well, neutrals in this country love it already. I expect any bias (And I dont believe in all of that tripe) to go towards us in future

Does anyone else watch the A-League for an early morning football fix?
This season has been interesting (for me anyway) with the use of video to "help" the officials get a decision eventually correct (or not).
This morning's game had the baĺl in play for about 2 minutes while the video ref watched replays, then another minute+ before a dubious penalty and red card resulted.
Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
I wished for a talking shark that can walk on land and breathe air once.

I can't see any potential problems with that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.