City 10 Huddersfield 1

Haha great!
I was in GEF stationed at home (N.Luffenham). Train to the game, sat in the main stand, loved it, 1 man pitch invasion at the end which is still on YouTube.
Anyone remember typical City?
I came home for the away league game too.
We had gone to pieces by then, late in the season and we embarrassed ourselves with a 1-0 defeat. And for anyone who remembers, not many Blues there either, only 2-3000.
By the way only 7,800 away at Huddersfield,and we now live at N.Luffenham.

By the way only 7,800 away at Huddersfield,and we now live at N.Luffenham.
Played them 5 times that season. 10-1 at The Mecca, then 2-2 in FA cup at theirs (Gidman) then 0-0 replay then 3-0 win in 2nd replay followed by dismal 0-1 away loss at end of season. I was at the 10-1, the 2-2 and the 0-1. I remember the 3-0 because I was away at polytechnic at the time in Portsmouth) and couldn't get radio 2 on my radio so didn't know the score. Rang my folks and my mum said, "your dad drove to Huddrsfield. he's not home yet. I think they won." Only found out through the papers the next day we'd won. Next round was Blackpool IIRC then Plymouth? It was so different then. And I miss it.

Played them 5 times that season. 10-1 at The Mecca, then 2-2 in FA cup at theirs (Gidman) then 0-0 replay then 3-0 win in 2nd replay followed by dismal 0-1 away loss at end of season. I was at the 10-1, the 2-2 and the 0-1. I remember the 3-0 because I was away at polytechnic at the time in Portsmouth) and couldn't get radio 2 on my radio so didn't know the score. Rang my folks and my mum said, "your dad drove to Huddrsfield. he's not home yet. I think they won." Only found out through the papers the next day we'd won. Next round was Blackpool IIRC then Plymouth? It was so different then. And I miss it.
I miss it too
I did exactly the same as you that season and saw 4 out of 5 Udders games,missing ,like u,the 0-0 fa cup replay
Football was so different back then.Huddersfield away in the FA cup 3rd round,was my first ever fa cup match,back in the days when the cup was everything,to every team,and every single fan.i cant tell u how excited i was that day,still remember being pissed on west yorkshire Cider,stood on the open away terrace (City had a huge following that day) had a meat pie,still the best pie ive ever tasted at a football ground .,and the atmosphere just before kick off was banging,electric.Really glad i got to Leeds rd before it closed..i can remember feeling completely underwhelmed when i first visited the new udders ground years later...it felt plastic and new,not raw and traditional. Huddersfield Town ,with the 10-1 and the cup matches,will always hold fond memories for me.
And of course Denis started his career at Leeds rd.

I miss it too
I did exactly the same as you that season and saw 4 out of 5 Udders games,missing ,like u,the 0-0 fa cup replay
Football was so different back then.Huddersfield away in the FA cup 3rd round,was my first ever fa cup match,back in the days when the cup was everything,to every team,and every single fan.i cant tell u how excited i was that day,still remember being pissed on west yorkshire Cider,stood on the open away terrace (City had a huge following that day) had a meat pie,still the best pie ive ever tasted at a football ground .,and the atmosphere just before kick off was banging,electric.Really glad i got to Leeds rd before it closed..i can remember feeling completely underwhelmed when i first visited the new udders ground years later...it felt plastic and new,not raw and traditional. Huddersfield Town ,with the 10-1 and the cup matches,will always hold fond memories for me.

Neither of you missed anything in the 0-0
It was a dreadful game that Huddersfield should have won, as they missed an absolute sitter at the death
We were a totally different side in the second replay

I miss it too
The following we had that day was one of the biggest I’ve seen us have. And I’ve done eighty odd grounds with City. The coaches and buses just seemed to never end as blues arrived for the game. All behind the net and about a quarter of the side - they too had a kippax like ours. Gidman’s goal is my 3rd all time fave behind Serge and Dickov. Went utterly fucking ballistic when it went in. The whole game was electric. The sight of a set of crutches being thrown on the pitch too! My dad drove to the 2nd replay on a whom, paid on the night at the gate. Can you imagine doing that now?

The following we had that day was one of the biggest I’ve seen us have. And I’ve done eighty odd grounds with City. The coaches and buses just seemed to never end as blues arrived for the game. All behind the net and about a quarter of the side - they too had a kippax like ours. Gidman’s goal is my 3rd all time fave behind Serge and Dickov. Went utterly fucking ballistic when it went in. The whole game was electric. The sight of a set of crutches being thrown on the pitch too! My dad drove to the 2nd replay on a whom, paid on the night at the gate. Can you imagine doing that now?
I didn't think the atmosphere was all that tbh, due to there being no roof. I remember going pretty mental for Brightwell's opener and fucking mental for Gidman's equalizer, but I didn't think the atmosphere was otherwise anything special.

I didn't think the atmosphere was all that tbh, due to there being no roof. I remember going pretty mental for Brightwell's opener and fucking mental for Gidman's equalizer, but I didn't think the atmosphere was otherwise anything special.
I was in the bit they gave us next to the home fans down the side. And there was a roof there - the atmosphere was intense the whole game where I was - loads of 10-1 goading, then they came from 1-0 down to 2-1 then the last-ditch goal from Gidman. The 0-1 reverse we suffered in the league game was very sparsely attended by City for such a “local” game. They’d already been relegated I think, we’d cruised to a non-threatening position in the league and we’d been royally hammered by Liverpool in the QFs and lost to Everton in League Cup QFs too I think, so everything was a bit “after the Lord Mayor’s show”. But I digress - the atmosphere was crackling that day - for those of us under the roof!

23172766_10155619393850428_3660675886699330936_n.jpg

23167620_10155619393855428_1539930737714297207_n.jpg

23231256_10155619393925428_4701206567979132130_n.jpg

23172595_10155619393940428_7194484993549978243_n.jpg

A few of my items from the 10-1 - Still on the look out for a match ticket if anyone has one available for sale.

TBF GDM, i have thought about your comment....and i think you may be right.
This was my first ever fa cup match...i was excited;the following was huge....but..maybe my own recollections are embellished because it was a big match for me...I can understand that any regular City fan who went home and away for the years before that wouldnt have thought it was owt special...so maybe your right.
Edit.but i do recall ,same as you going mental on the terraces for both goals,esp Gidmans last min equaliser...How we used to celebrate goals back then,Wow!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.