MCFC U-18's

Thing is, I don't blame Pep, but I also don't blame the young lads either. The culture we've created over here is a very damaging one for young talent and there's no easy fix unless someone actually has the balls to do something bold. Cos what you've said there is basically 'if the time is right for the club, and everything is rosy, then maybe they'll get a chance'....they've got every right to be thinking 'but what about when it's right for me? Not just the club?' It's their careers after all. If the time isn't right for the club, they could never get that chance despite scoring 40 goals a season for the EDS, and that has happened for many young footballers across the u23s in the PL.

It's a head-scratcher, but many people have been saying for 3 years now that if we don't show signs of a real pathway into the first team, we'll start to lose some young lads....and it's now happened with two of the most promising young lads in England. Sancho and Duncan. It happened with Campbell too who is also excellent. We have to sort this. There's only way really - prove it with Foden, Brahim, maybe Muric, Nmecha or Smith. Anyone.
The thing is, other than Pep’s Barca that was stocked with La Masia players, there aren’t a lot of youth players that debuted for their home club (top clubs) and become top players. Thomas Muller and Saul came to mind, but players like them are few and far in between. Top players like Pique and Carvajal had to go out first before coming back to their home club. Take a look at Barcelona, Madrid, Juventus, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Monaco - home grown ‘Top’ players aren’t that many. It’d be very good for us to have homegrown players in our rotation but I consider having even 1 like Foden for us to be very lucky.

Silly thing is that if we'd bought Sancho from Dormund rather than brought him through our system he'd probably be more likely to get a first team game.

Don't know what the answer is but, we need to find one as more & more very good in fact potentiality world class players are going to come through the Academy probably even now too many that need proper game time are ready.

Silly thing is that if we'd bought Sancho from Dormund rather than brought him through our system he'd probably be more likely to get a first team game.

Don't know what the answer is but, we need to find one as more & more very good in fact potentiality world class players are going to come through the Academy probably even now too many that need proper game time are ready.

Patrick Roberts springs to mind when you say that about buying Sancho from Dortmund. I think we're reluctant to play anyone unless they have proved themselves in a top league like De Bruyne (or all the players we've bought and play for the first team). The problem is, teams in the top leagues don't want to play our loan players for the same reason, I think the selling on with a buy back is the only real option because the other club wants to profit if they are taking the risk.

I think the recent realisation from the club that having our academy teams rampaging over all around them isn’t productive in the long term. I think the new plan of pushing youngsters up against older/better players will help considerably. I'm sure I read our Checkatrade team against Bradford were all 19 or under? I also agree with putting the players out on loans into Spain and Holland is a great idea, playing high level competitive games, we could do with striking up partnerships with German and French outfits as well!

This still doesn’t guarantee a young player will be good enough to get in our side though; they are going to need to be something special to do that at a young age. Kieran Trippier came through our academy, and everyone agrees he did well for England last night, and has been damn good at Spurs, but he is 27, and it’s taken him this long to get that level! He'd never have got the opportunities he's had if he'd stayed at City.

The only thing that Worried me about a Pep is what he said about Delph saying he was sorry for not giving him more game time last season especially at fullback position where did struggle. Will this mean he will hold of giving Foden or Diaz starts or game time? Just a thought really about what Pep himself said after Delph playing really Well this season.

Patrick Roberts springs to mind when you say that about buying Sancho from Dortmund. I think we're reluctant to play anyone unless they have proved themselves in a top league like De Bruyne (or all the players we've bought and play for the first team). The problem is, teams in the top leagues don't want to play our loan players for the same reason, I think the selling on with a buy back is the only real option because the other club wants to profit if they are taking the risk.

We bought Jesus and threw him straight in and same with Ederson to an extent. Selling with a buy back is a better option than loaning IMO as the clubs have an incentive to develop (or at least play) the players.

I think @twosips is spot on with his promotion analogy in general. I don't blame kids at all for becoming world class U18s at City and then moving onto to a club who'll give them a go in the coming years in their first team. Until we show younger players that there are examples of kids forging a path to the first team, they'll leave.

If Foden doesn’t make it at City I don’t know who will. The issue will be when/if we decide not to sign players and instead promote young players. I can imagine an outcry on here and in the media by the lack of summer activity.
It’s also about opportunity and making those chances count.
When Foden/Diaz get a shot at the first team they really need to make it count. I don’t particularly rate Rashford but what he has done is score both for Utd and England in key matches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.