Is Netflix the official depository of every terrible film ever made?

We're not all on a pilots wage fella :-)
I wasn’t always, either! ;-)

For context, I gave up my 20’s and early 30’s to get there, then when I got the job it was during a period of 26.7% cuts to actually do an employee buyout of 55% of the Company...which then declared bankruptcy, liquidated my shares for a few quid, gave me a 50% pay cut and took my pension, then demoted me due to layoffs at the bottom end. That was all happening while we had two kids aged 2 and 4 and had just bought our first house.

In 22 years as an airline pilot, I’ve been on actual normal contractual wages (as in, the normal collective bargaining agreement says this much $) for 3 yrs from April 2000 to May 2003, and then since 2012....or about 1/4 of the time. As these are “the good old days” of tomorrow, I’m saving every penny I can to try to replace the pension taken by the bankruptcy, as I will reach my mandatory retirement in 11 years. Here’s hoping the next 11 years don’t involve an aviation terrorist event, significant recession, or any of the other myriad events that might easily fuck up what, to most outsiders, often looks like a cushy number.

I’m not complaining, as I chose to give up being a Financial Analyst at a Fortune 500 Company to do this. However, the notion that we all drive new Porsche’s and have 22 yr old buxom blonde flight attendants dripping off us, as we throw around £50 bills around the layover hotel bars for fun is a slight misrepresentation. I drive a 10 yr old Subaru, have had a wife for 31 yrs, and am currently trying to pay the $56k annual cost of Uni for those two kids who grew up, in the hope they will be educated and productive members of society in the near future.

And, tbh, I pay for 4 Netflix accounts for us, and my son has the Amazon Prime & Hulu accounts at Uni.

Again, ABSOLUTELY NOT COMPLAINING, just providing some context for the insinuation that as a pilot, life is all wine and roses. It can be for those with exquisitely good timing, but isn’t always, for those of us who missed a beat.

I know...cry me a river...but I also tried not to steal content back in the day, too!

Last edited:
I wasn’t always, either! ;-)

For context, I gave up my 20’s and early 30’s to get there, then when I got the job it was during a period of 26.7% cuts to actually do an employee buyout of 55% of the Company...which then declared bankruptcy, liquidated my shares for a few quid, gave me a 50% payout and took my pension, then demoted me due to layoffs at the bottom end. That was all happening while we had two kids aged 2 and 4 and had just bought our first house. In 22 years as an airline pilot, I’ve been on actual normal contractual wages (as in, the normal collective bargaining agreement says this much) for 3 yrs from April 2000 to May 2003, and then since 2012....or about 1/4 of the time. As these are “the good old days” of tomorrow, I’m saving every penny I can to try to replace the pension taken by the bankruptcy, as I will reach my mandatory retirement in 11 years. Here’s hoping the next 11 years don’t involve an aviation terrorist event, significant recession, or any of the other myriad events that might easily fuck up what, to the outsiders, often looks like a cushy number.

I’m not complaining, as I chose to give up being a Financial Analyst at a Fortune 500 Company to do this. However, the notion that we all drive new Porsche’s and have 22 yr old buxom blonde flight attendants dripping off us, as we throw around £50 bills around the layover hotel bars for fun is a slight misrepresentation. I drive a 10 yr old Subaru, have had a wife for 31 yrs, and am currently trying to pay the $56k annual cost of Uni for those two kids who grew up, in the hope they will be educated and productive members of society in the near future.

And, tbh, I pay for 4 Netflix accounts for us, and my son has the Amazon Prime & Hulu accounts at Uni.

Again, ABSOLUTELY NOT COMPLAINING, just providing some context for the insinuation that as a pilot, life is all wine and roses. It can be for those with exquisitely good timing, but isn’t always, for those of us who missed a beat.

I know...cry me a river...but I also tried not to steal content back in the day, too!

Cool story Bro

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.