General Videogame Thread

Borrowed Zelda Breath of the Wild from my mate.
First impressions is that it's good, better than I expected really.
The open world is big but isn't really filled with much to justify the size so I find myself just fast travelling really, kind of what my problem was with Skyrim as well.
The most annoying thing really in the game is the weapon durability, there is no indication of how durable a weapon is, and all you rely on is an on screen message telling you your weapon is about to break.
Weapon durability in games is probably the least most interesting/fun thing, and it should be scrapped.

Borrowed Zelda Breath of the Wild from my mate.
First impressions is that it's good, better than I expected really.
The open world is big but isn't really filled with much to justify the size so I find myself just fast travelling really, kind of what my problem was with Skyrim as well.
The most annoying thing really in the game is the weapon durability, there is no indication of how durable a weapon is, and all you rely on is an on screen message telling you your weapon is about to break.
Weapon durability in games is probably the least most interesting/fun thing, and it should be scrapped.
I thought the weapon durability was shit at first but I soon understood the reasoning behind it as it adds another level of difficulty to the game instead of just getting really good weapons and smashing everything in seconds. You have to think about attacking gangs of enemies using a strategy and other items like bombs and magic. You do eventually get the master sword from previous Zelda games but that has energy which depletes and recharges as well - again it doesn’t make it too easy to defeat hordes of enemies. Stick with it as this Zelda is a very good game which will take the franchise in a new fresh direction. It has borrowed some elements from games like monster hunter, assassin’s creed but those games definitely borrowed off previous Zelda releases. There is lots of things to do in the beautiful vast open world and some of the puzzles/temples will keep you engaged if only you let yourself go with it. Enjoy.

I thought the weapon durability was shit at first but I soon understood the reasoning behind it as it adds another level of difficulty to the game instead of just getting really good weapons and smashing everything in seconds. You have to think about attacking gangs of enemies using a strategy and other items like bombs and magic. You do eventually get the master sword from previous Zelda games but that has energy which depletes and recharges as well - again it doesn’t make it too easy to defeat hordes of enemies. Stick with it as this Zelda is a very good game which will take the franchise in a new fresh direction. It has borrowed some elements from games like monster hunter, assassin’s creed but those games definitely borrowed off previous Zelda releases. There is lots of things to do in the beautiful vast open world and some of the puzzles/temples will keep you engaged if only you let yourself go with it. Enjoy.

Finding the controls really unintuitive at the moment, especially when riding horses.... the camera and horse controls are terrible, and I'm not liking the camera shake when trying to tag shrines using links scope. Is this an issue that's been brought up before as I've never heard anyone mention this problem before?
These are things I can easily bypass/get use to, but seems strange that I've heard no one mention it before.

I like the puzzles, temples aspect of games. Loved Rise of the Tomb Raider temples on my Xb1 but there weren't enough. I'm tempted to buy a switch for Zelda and the new Mario. Not bothered about all this 4k stuff, I just want good addictive and challenging gameplay.

Is there plenty of temples puzzles in Zelda ? Also are the framerate issues when playing on TV as bad as I read ?

Finding the controls really unintuitive at the moment, especially when riding horses.... the camera and horse controls are terrible, and I'm not liking the camera shake when trying to tag shrines using links scope. Is this an issue that's been brought up before as I've never heard anyone mention this problem before?
These are things I can easily bypass/get use to, but seems strange that I've heard no one mention it before.
The horses have different ability stats some of them are harder to ride.
epona-stats-zelda-botw.jpg

I’ve not had any trouble tagging shrines tbh.
I haven’t played the game on the Switch, I downloaded it for free on the release date for my hacked WiiU including all the DLC. I haven’t put it on for a while as I’m in the middle of getting my house ready for sale. I will be going back in when I’ve moved. I found the game to be good but it didn’t grab me as much as I anticipated, saying that no game has done that for a while, even PS4 games.

The horses have different ability stats some of them are harder to ride.
epona-stats-zelda-botw.jpg

I’ve not had any trouble tagging shrines tbh.
I haven’t played the game on the Switch, I downloaded it for free on the release date for my hacked WiiU including all the DLC. I haven’t put it on for a while as I’m in the middle of getting my house ready for sale. I will be going back in when I’ve moved. I found the game to be good but it didn’t grab me as much as I anticipated, saying that no game has done that for a while, even PS4 games.

Found out why it was.... the motion control was enabled in the settings menu, so it was causing my aim to shake, I thought it was an in game feature to make it look like tension was causing Link to shake... was well pissing me off haha!!

Yeah my horse has decent stats but I find the riding pretty clunky controls, kind of like Witcher 3... It's as if they've tried to make it too realistic (if that makes sense)

I like the puzzles, temples aspect of games. Loved Rise of the Tomb Raider temples on my Xb1 but there weren't enough. I'm tempted to buy a switch for Zelda and the new Mario. Not bothered about all this 4k stuff, I just want good addictive and challenging gameplay.

Is there plenty of temples puzzles in Zelda ? Also are the framerate issues when playing on TV as bad as I read ?

I've had a few framrate drops when near tall grass... I'll be honest though, It's so much more fun playing it as a handheld... sounds strange but it just feels so much better!! Zelda kills the battery though, but you can charge and play anyway.

As posted I haven’t actually got a Switch yet (in the middle of getting ready to move) on my wiiU it is fine with the various updates. I can’t say I even noticed any prior to the updates though. I too aren’t bothered about 60fps blah blah. It’s a game not a film. I’ve played Zelda and Mario briefly on a mates switch and found them to be great if you’re a fan of the franchises. The puzzles in the temples are innovative, however they’re not like previous temples/dungeons in Zelda games, some of them are just one puzzle and the temple is completed, some are multiple rooms/puzzles which get harder as you progress through the game. If you like previous Zelda games this will satisfy @twosips is a Zelda/Nintendo fan of many years and an owner of a Switch he may know more about the frame rate drop out but I haven’t seen any myself.

I've had a few framrate drops when near tall grass... I'll be honest though, It's so much more fun playing it as a handheld... sounds strange but it just feels so much better!! Zelda kills the battery though, but you can charge and play anyway.

Thanks for that. That's whats put me off. I wanna play on my TV. Guess I'll stick to my XB1 for now.

As posted I haven’t actually got a Switch yet (in the middle of getting ready to move) on my wiiU it is fine with the various updates. I can’t say I even noticed any prior to the updates though. I too aren’t bothered about 60fps blah blah. It’s a game not a film. I’ve played Zelda and Mario briefly on a mates switch and found them to be great if you’re a fan of the franchises. The puzzles in the temples are innovative, however they’re not like previous temples/dungeons in Zelda games, some of them are just one puzzle and the temple is completed, some are multiple rooms/puzzles which get harder as you progress through the game. If you like previous Zelda games this will satisfy @twosips is a Zelda/Nintendo fan of many years and an owner of a Switch he may know more about the frame rate drop out but I haven’t seen any myself.

Thanks matey. I will play it eventually. Probably wait another 12 months when prices drop. Used to be an "early adopter" in my younger days but got over that now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.