Minimum Alcohol Pricing in Scotland

Can someone pop around to check on @Magicpole

I am actually in favour of this. I can buy a case of lager cheaper than I could when I was 18 and tragically that wasn't yesterday.

As everyone knows we have a fondness for the drink, this aligned to a tetchy national disposition can and does cause mayhem at times.

The health, police, cops and social costs of alcohol are massive.

Let's see how it goes. The situation is everyone believes something needs to be done, but when it us tackled people go mad.

It will work.

As for me? I anticipated this and have been stockpiling.

I'm drunk now. :)

I am actually in favour of this. I can buy a case of lager cheaper than I could when I was 18 and tragically that wasn't yesterday.

As everyone knows we have a fondness for the drink, this aligned to a tetchy national disposition can and does cause mayhem at times.

The health, police, cops and social costs of alcohol are massive.

Let's see how it goes. The situation is everyone believes something needs to be done, but when it us tackled people go mad.

It will work.

As for me? I anticipated this and have been stockpiling.

I'm drunk now. :)
Good man yersell. ;0)

To go back to my OP and after reading the posts on here I can see how this idea is shot full of holes. First massive problem is only a short drive away is the English border over which is booze nirvana. The Tesco just off the M6 at Carlisle and the Morrisons outside Berwick will do a roaring trade from booze cruisers - they will become the largest holders of Scottish currency outside Scotland !!

Then there's my reference to the Jam's lyrics. Proper dependency will mean some do make that sort of choice and history shows how people with addiction routinely overlook the obvious need and spend on their addiction instead.

The impact will probably be minimal but the effect widespread.

Irn Bru sales will suffer too.

To go back to my OP and after reading the posts on here I can see how this idea is shot full of holes. First massive problem is only a short drive away is the English border over which is booze nirvana. The Tesco just off the M6 at Carlisle and the Morrisons outside Berwick will do a roaring trade from booze cruisers - they will become the largest holders of Scottish currency outside Scotland !!

Then there's my reference to the Jam's lyrics. Proper dependency will mean some do make that sort of choice and history shows how people with addiction routinely overlook the obvious need and spend on their addiction instead.

The impact will probably be minimal but the effect widespread.

Irn Bru sales will suffer too.
If you don't live on the border the target group here won't be driving down, that's not going to happen.

Irn Bru sales won't be affected. It is rarely used as a mixer.

Another howler by the wee poisonous bass...! Wont change a thing with regards to stopping people drinking and will only hit the people living on the breadline who like a few ales, nobody else will give a fuck...!

If you don't live on the border the target group here won't be driving down, that's not going to happen.

Irn Bru sales won't be affected. It is rarely used as a mixer.

no but its a good way of getting over a hangover and cheaper than Lucozade - fewer hangovers = fewer hangover cures needed. Asprin, paracetemol etc sales could suffer too

And plenty of people who lived way away from the channel hired vans and took a ferry to get cheaper booze in the past mate - you can pay for the fuel used by selling to friends - not legal but hey it does happen

People binge drink and get addicted to alcohol because they enjoy it. There ain't no cure for that.

They enjoy it because it provides an escapism from their lives and makes them feel good.

Not always, but usually, this is because they want to escape something in their lives or they lack other ways of getting high. Or they confuse happiness and the feeling of getting high as the same thing.

Normal people can go out, get a bit buzzed then go home. That's normal and healthy. Obviously sometimes you misjudge it and get too drunk. No big deal. Having a couple of pints or glasses of wine after a long day is fun and perfectly fine. That's not really who we're alking about.

Getting smashed off your tits like any excessive, repeated behaviour, isn't.

And worst of all, people who do anything to excess tend to befriend and hang around with other people who do that thing to excess and it normalises the consumption and gives them poor measuring sticks.

Addiction and binge drinking is a mental health issue in most cases. Our mental health acceptance and services are just not yet developed enough to mount Early Interventions before the problems escalate. Not to mention the social problems that often rise the probabilities of addiction in whole communities that we don't fund well enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.