Greggs replace Jesus with sausage roll

The calcified remains of a heel bone with a nail driven through it has been discovered, the victim is unknown.
Crucifixion was intended as a humiliation, as well as an agonising, prolonged death, the victims were usually
agitators against Roman authority, rather than common criminals.

Indeed. But without any actual evidence, apart from one bone, it's very hard to prove they were doing this on a mass scale in the Holy Lands around this time. As with anything to do with the bible. No proof.

Indeed. But without any actual evidence, apart from one bone, it's very hard to prove they were doing this on a mass scale in the Holy Lands around this time. As with anything to do with the bible. No proof.

The history of the era should not be dismissed because of the bible which is a work of fiction.

Roman were crucifying people from 3rd century BC until constantine outlawed it.

Most schollars attest the lack of evidence to the fact that those executed were political prisoners or criminals and would be throw. into rivers or ditches so the bones would be scattered, the nails would be valuable as a metal and reused and that most crucifictions would habe been on trees or walls and those on closes the would would have rotted by now.

Spartacus and his uprising were crucified, crucifixtion were used in the roman civil wars so it is not unexpected that it was used in judea.

Flavia Jesephus is attested by historians to have documented john the baptist baptising a man named jesus who was a wise teacher.
It also claims in the wriitngs of titus 70AD that a man called the wise king who was a political prisoner and teacher was executed by pilot.

Most historia. agree both reference the man then used in the bible.

I don't believe the bible tales, but I can believe a man may have exsited who was probably a political activist who protested the corruption of the then roman controled jewish state and was executed for it.

2000+ years ago people were more open to supestion and a myth was formed, that became a religion, poor sod probably just wanted better working conditions and equal rights, not a load of people using his name for 2000 years to do excuse their actions be them good or bad.

Plenty of history that has little physical evidence is speculted without fact to fill the dots.

Last edited:
Things that are widely considered historically true about a man called Jesus at the time
There was a man called Jesus who was a Galilean Jew with known activities confined to Galilee and Judea.
He was baptized by John the Baptist.
He called disciples.
He had a controversy at the Temple andwas crucified by the Romans near Jerusalem.
After his death his disciples continued.
Some of his disciples were persecuted.

No proof exits he was born in a barn, so no reason to get upset over such a thing.

Though it is an important part of 2 gospels out of 4 (and countless others unrecognised)

Lasty as the nativity is considered idolatry in strict christian reality only catholics should be showing it so that's 4 million people to offend in the UK, though if like me they are lapsed I expect most have better things to worry about

I am such a lapsed Catholic that I have been a member of the @bad Catholic" club for many years now.

I have to disagree with your assertion that, " Things that are widely co side red historically true about Jesus".

There is absolutely zero historical evidence about the Jesus Character in the bible. The only source of reference to him.

As a catholic, finding out that over 20 other deity's have the same back story, most pre dating Jesus, leaves you with one choice of opinion.

It's not possible or reasonable to think God would pick the same story as previous gods.

The fact that a man could cut about attracting thousands, raisin the dead, walking on water etc and no reference to the potential threat he could lose is farcical if you study how Rome dealt with threats.

No evidence he existed, contradicting evidence in abundance means you take it on faith.

Faith is not a virtue. Faith is an abandonment of your critical
faculties. Because people want it to be true, doesn't make it so. Neither does 2billion people buying it.

If you have evidence I would gladly look at it. Apart from a mention by Josephus nearly 80 years after he died, which was primarily about the cult that had grown up, not proof he even existed.

If you haven't looked into the other gods whose story is the same you can start with this.

Yeah, agreed, there is no evidence it was common in this region, it was used all over the Roman empire, but wasn't
the most common form of execution, apparently. The crucifixion of Jesus, if it happened, has brought it into the public
consciousness.

The history of the era should not be dismissed because of the bible which is a work of fiction.

Roman were crucifying people from 3rd century BC until constantine outlawed it.

Most schollars attest the lack of evidence to the fact that those executed were political prisoners or criminals and would be throw. into rivers or ditches so the bones would be scattered, the nails would be valuable as a metal and reused and that most crucifictions would habe been on trees or walls and those on closes the would would have rotted by now.

Spartacus and his uprising were crucified, crucifixtion were used in the roman civil wars so it is not unexpected that it was used in judea.

Flavia Jesephus is attested by historians to have documented john the baptist baptising a man named jesus who was a wise teacher.
It also claims in the wriitngs of titus 70AD that a man called the wise king who was a political prisoner and teacher was executed by pilot.

Most historia. agree both reference the man then used in the bible.

I don't believe the bible tales, but I can believe a man may have exsited who was probably a political activist who protested the corruption of the then roman controled jewish state and was executed for it.

2000+ years ago people were more open to supestion and a myth was formed, that became a religion, poor sod probably just wanted better worming conditions and equal rights, not a load of people using his name for 2000 years to do excuse their actions be them good or bad.

Plenty of history that has little physical evidence is speculted without fact to fill the dots.

About sums it up.

About the bones. We have found thousands of bones from that time period in all manner of places in that area and yet only one that we can certainly say was the result of crucifixion. Which is a little weird. Still, as you say, it was a known form of Roman torture/ killing so the likelihood of it being used is high.

One note on Spartacus. Died in battle. Not crucified.

About sums it up.

About the bones. We have found thousands of bones from that time period in all manner of places in that area and yet only one that we can certainly say was the result of crucifixion. Which is a little weird. Still, as you say, it was a known form of Roman torture/ killing so the likelihood of it being used is high.

One note on Spartacus. Died in battle. Not crucified.

I never knew that, I knew his uprising memebers. were crucified though and like Ancient Citizen believed he was too because of the film.

Just googled died in battle but the body was never found.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.