What is there new and worthwhile to do in Manchester?

We’re on the train up to Edinburgh with anytime tickets and will be visiting York and—despite my protestations—Newcastle on the way up.

The Castle is definitely on our list, as well.

I forgot to mention that a mate will be taking us to the Celtic v Motherwell match now, too. Not a supporter but can’t turn it down, especially as the missus was not opposed to it.

Just a heads up mate. There is no pub at the top of Arthurs seat.

Don’t tell me you were once convinced there was?

No, but by the time I got to the top I wished somebody would have told me when I was half way up.
I made it a point of telling everyone that I passed on my way back down.
Thankfully there was a nice pub not far from the bottom.
We stayed at the Radisson Blu, perfect location and a nice pub right across the road called the Mitre.
Pop around the corner to the City Cafe for a killer breakfast.

No, but by the time I got to the top I wished somebody would have told me when I was half way up.
I made it a point of telling everyone that I passed on my way back down.
Thankfully there was a nice pub not far from the bottom.
We stayed at the Radisson Blu, perfect location and a nice pub right across the road called the Mitre.
Pop around the corner to the City Cafe for a killer breakfast.
Fair enough.

The Mitre and City Cafe aren’t too far from where we are staying (it’ll be a nice stroll by Regent Road Park and the Abbey) so we’ll give them a try.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Edinburgh has a good Modern Art Gallery.
A very good National Gallery and National museum.
The Royal yacht Britannia and Holyrood Palace.
Rosslyn Chapel and of course the Castle.

Edinburgh has a good Modern Art Gallery.
A very good National Gallery and National museum.
The Royal yacht Britannia and Holyrood Palace.
Rosslyn Chapel and of course the Castle.
All good shouts—we’ll likely be going to the Modern Gallery, as that is the missus’ primary expertise, and will definitely see the Castle. Based on @Barcon’s pub and cafe suggestions will meander by Holyrood at least once, as well.

Are the ocean view / shops worth the trek out to the Britannia?

Football Museum near Shambles Square?

I’ve already been, and the missus feels we’ve already planned enough football-related activities between watching the Huddersfield match in Dublin (12 hour stayover trip), going to the Soton match, attending the Celtic v Motherwell match, and yet again viewing the West Ham match in Edinburgh. ;-)

That actually brings up another question for the forum-at-large, though:

What is the best place to watch City in Edinburgh?

We’re on the train up to Edinburgh with anytime tickets and will be visiting York and—despite my protestations—Newcastle on the way up.

The Castle is definitely on our list, as well.

I forgot to mention that a mate will be taking us to the Celtic v Motherwell match now, too. Not a supporter but can’t turn it down, especially as the missus was not opposed to it.
How long are you in Edinburgh mate?

All good shouts—we’ll likely be going to the Modern Gallery, as that is the missus’ primary expertise, and will definitely see the Castle. Based on @Barcon’s pub and cafe suggestions will meander by Holyrood at least once, as well.

Are the ocean view / shops worth the trek out to the Britannia?

I’ve already been, and the missus feels we’ve already planned enough football-related activities between watching the Huddersfield match in Dublin (12 hour stayover trip), going to the Soton match, attending the Celtic v Motherwell match, and yet again viewing the West Ham match in Edinburgh. ;-)

That actually brings up another question for the forum-at-large, though:

What is the best place to watch City in Edinburgh?
Britannia is in Leith and it is worth spending some time in. Good vibe and more Michelin stars than you can shake a stick at. If you want something a little more homely try the Kings Warke. Depending on how long you stay, the old town round the royal mile is a must. Every type of pub from bright and shiny to v traditional. Avoid princes street other than Christmas market which has some good stuff in amongst the tat. If you have a day, I would spilt between old town and Leith. More than that, new town + galleries. Modern art is very good but is a good walk/Taxi out of centre. It’s worth a visit as is the portrait gallery. Have a look what’s on at the Kings/Festival although might be Panto season! If you like authentic French food cafe st honaire is v good. Fishers in the city or preferably Leith good for seafood. The chop house in town and in Leith also good. For gastromy Martin Wishart but you would have to book in advance as it is booked up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.