New drivers and car insurance dilemma.

I had me as main driver and daughter as named on her first car policy. Did this for a few years and she racked up no claims bonus. Went on her own eventually (23) and had me as named driver which brings down cost dramatically. It was direct line.

the underwriters rate it on the main driver so highly unlikley sadly - as I say it stinks - I am in the industry ffs - but thems the rules
Not too sure that's correct. My eldest has her mum on her ins and they both work in the industry. I was quoted as a main driver £215 on an SLK and with the present Mrs TRB on it dropped to £190.

19 year old lad I work next to has a new golf on the company car scheme, was quoted £4k for insurance, with same company by adding his dad as a 2nd driver he pays £1600

19 year old lad I work next to has a new golf on the company car scheme, was quoted £4k for insurance, with same company by adding his dad as a 2nd driver he pays £1600
I'm not disputing this, but can anyone explain the logic to me as it doesn't seem to make much sense from the insurer's point of view. How has their level of risk reduced?

Not sure if same applies in UK ( I'm in Ireland) but my Uncle took out an 'other cars policy' with his insurance company and put my cousins name on it, this policy allowed my cousin to drive any car so he could drive his own starter car under his Dad's 'other car policy'. It cost a bit extra (which my cousin stumped up) than a normal fully comp policy but nowhere near the extortionate prices he was being quoted to have his own policy.

I hope I've explained that clearly.

Not sure if same applies in UK ( I'm in Ireland) but my Uncle took out an 'other cars policy' with his insurance company and put my cousins name on it, this policy allowed my cousin to drive any car so he could drive his own starter car under his Dad's 'other car policy'. It cost a bit extra (which my cousin stumped up) than a normal fully comp policy but nowhere near the extortionate prices he was being quoted to have his own policy.

I hope I've explained that clearly.
Over here would require other car to have its own policy in place

sorry mate there is no way round it than fiddling the system and the consequences of that are not worth it - the best thing to do is buy an older car and insure in her name and take the hit and build up some NCB for a year or two - sucks but the alternative is you insure it and declare yourself the main user she is has an accident and you get found out..... the costs and consequences make the dilemma you face now look like a no-brainer

Yer can't really avoid this if she is to establish herself in the rip-off car insurance market.

As the title really.
My youngest daughter 24 has passed her test first time following in the footsteps of her incredibly talented older sisters.
But her older sisters are 34 and 30 and now enjoying motoring for peanuts.
Full no claims and fully comprehensive for the £350-400 mark.

I am going to get her a car and do not want to pay a supplement to the insurance reapers for colour shape or desire.
Obviously she has a deposit of nil and I would rather the majority of the hit go on the car than to insurance companies out to tan the arse of all new starters.

I do appreciate that some lads under 21 think a big bore exhaust and bucket seat on corsa makes it a racer but a 24 year old lady as sensible as sensible can be ? Really.

Anything considered including the black box to reduce the anti.
I inderstand If I put my name on the insurance as a driver this could reduce costings.
All cars are reliable now so I am more concerned in keeping down the first year premium to stop it eating into her allowance.

I did research with marmalade on free insurance for the first year with new sales but they are taking the mick as they want 9.9 % and above on finance which can be aquired for 2.9%.Go figure and not a free lunch after all as it negates the anti.
Prefer not to finance but will to a certain extent if a genuine free insurance comes up on the new.

Up to 2 year old considered so what model do the insurance bods froth over and how can I lower this undesirable cost.
Someone non industry mentioned at least £2.000.Sweet baby Jesus !
Anyone in the industry or knowlegable advise ? Do they rate just on group alone ? Appreciated.
Here is some more Sprout whilst I wait for help:

Cars and girls..

Haven't read all the replies so this might have been suggested. Our daughter 19 was getting quoted about £1200, in the end we went with direct line, having a black box fitted brought it down to about £750, putting my wife on as a named driver brought it down, and then added myself and brought it down again to about £680. Third party as car only worth about £600 hopefully she'll have no claims in a couple of years.

I'm not disputing this, but can anyone explain the logic to me as it doesn't seem to make much sense from the insurer's point of view. How has their level of risk reduced?

The car will be being driven for a percentage of its time on the road by that safer second driver. I don't think it's legal to add a named driver who has no possibility of driving the car.

I brought my sister's down by a lot so she didn't have to have a black box fitted, which could have really hampered her with curfews.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.