What is the oldest song or chant that City fans sing?

I also remember a re- vamped version of the US Marine Corps Hymn - The Halls of Montezuma.
We will fight fight fight for City until we win the football league
To hell with Man United,to hell with Liverpool
We will fight fight fight for City until we win the football league
Also an 18 60s song adopted to become a 19 60s terrace song.

The earliest known MCFC specific song I've tracked down is 'Who Said City Couldn't Play". It was sung in 1930s (film of fans singing it at 1934 homecoming exists) and lasted into 1940s.

Pre-1930s fans sang local folk songs or popular music hall songs like Lassie From Lancashire. They also sang along with the band to whatever tunes they played.

1950s the Bless 'Em All adapted song was created for the 50s team.

Of songs still being sung: Never Felt More like Singing The Blues goes back to late 50s/early 60s (my guess is that it was sung at some of the derbies in mid-50s but older fans may know).

'We've got an M an A.... we come from Maine Road, Manchester...." - goes back about 60 years too.

Of course, "You'll Never Walk Alone" was definitely being sung by City fans in the 1960s (and 70s) too!
Unless my memory is playing tricks (and it could well be at my age) Singing the Blues was regulary sung in the 50s.
The Guy Mitchell version was released in Oct 56, when we were FA cup holders. Don' remember any adapted words, tho.
Edit. I certainly sang it to rag schoolmates on the way home.

Hello Hello we are the City boys
Hello Hello we are the City boys
And if you are a United fan surrender or you die
We all follow the City.

Which is a 19 60s adoption of a Union Army marching song -We are Marching through Georgia. Written in the 1860s
There was another version of this in the 60s.
Hello hello we are the Mercer boys
Hello hello we are the Mercer boys
With Bell and Lee and Summerbee
And something something ...... (help me out boys !)
We will follow Man City.

The earliest known MCFC specific song I've tracked down is 'Who Said City Couldn't Play". It was sung in 1930s (film of fans singing it at 1934 homecoming exists) and lasted into 1940s.

Pre-1930s fans sang local folk songs or popular music hall songs like Lassie From Lancashire. They also sang along with the band to whatever tunes they played.

1950s the Bless 'Em All adapted song was created for the 50s team.

Of songs still being sung: Never Felt More like Singing The Blues goes back to late 50s/early 60s (my guess is that it was sung at some of the derbies in mid-50s but older fans may know).

'We've got an M an A.... we come from Maine Road, Manchester...." - goes back about 60 years too.

Of course, "You'll Never Walk Alone" was definitely being sung by City fans in the 1960s (and 70s) too!
Daisy Daisy Give me your Answer do

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.