New drivers and car insurance dilemma.

The car will be being driven for a percentage of its time on the road by that safer second driver. I don't think it's legal to add a named driver who has no possibility of driving the car.

I brought my sister's down by a lot so she didn't have to have a black box fitted, which could have really hampered her with curfews.
Cheers, I suspected that's what it would be. But without knowing the exact split between the two drivers, it still doesn't make much sense to me. I'm surprised they bother, but it's good news that they do!

sorry mate there is no way round it than fiddling the system and the consequences of that are not worth it - the best thing to do is buy an older car and insure in her name and take the hit and build up some NCB for a year or two - sucks but the alternative is you insure it and declare yourself the main user she is has an accident and you get found out..... the costs and consequences make the dilemma you face now look like a no-brainer
^^ Agree with this, My lad paid ~£3000 for fully comp when the 1.6 Astra in his first year only cost him ~£3500 to buy,... one year later the premium fell away.. a couple of years later he was paying around £300 a year fully comp for a 14 plate Astra GTC VXR weapon less than a year old..

He is 25 now and waiting for a new Leon Cupra and expects to pay the same, around £300 for the year...

It's a huge rip off but you have to bite the bullet and get some NCD in their name sadly

^^ Agree with this, My lad paid ~£3000 for fully comp when the 1.6 Astra in his first year only cost him ~£3500 to buy,... one year later the premium fell away.. a couple of years later he was paying around £300 a year fully comp for a 14 plate Astra GTC VXR weapon less than a year old..

He is 25 now and waiting for a new Leon Cupra and expects to pay the same, around £300 for the year...

It's a huge rip off but you have to bite the bullet and get some NCD in their name sadly

and what he has done is show he is a young driver that can be trusted hence the NCD. Seems unfair but thems the rules

vintage-bycycle-basket-near-old-house-37910717.jpg

Not sure what his daughters sex life has to do with car insurance quotes.

My 18 year old passed her test last year and I bought her a first runaround, a 2003 Fiesta for £700
Fully comp insurance with Hastings Direct, that had to have a black box fitted, was about £1500 (which included the black box fitting fee)

One year later, the insurance had dropped to £600 for the same policy, however we've now moved onto a 2007 Corsa that's insured at a cost of £700

Thank you for all your helpful feedback with some very good information tendered.
I have now managed to get a better understanding of how the car insurance market works and have secured enough online tools to assist in this quest.It took me the best part of an afternoon so you have to put the legwork in to secure some reasonable quotes.

After reading Martin Lewis's site and reading back on this thread we both selected a final choice of two cars based on up to date insurance groupings. A simple procedure that catagarorises risk from 1 - 50 and being set set by a panel of experts from Thatchams after taking in all the variables. Obviously the cars in the highest group are mainly high performance models likely to cost insurers the most in claims.

Insurers may use the panel's recommendations in their calculation of car insurance premiums or they may choose to use their own groupings.
And this is where the subtilties lie. Individual insurance houses do not nessasaraly follow thatchams to the letter utilising their own data gathered by their own market statistics.Groupings are weighted heavily on repair costs and many other overiding factors.

So now I have a few cars suitable for the task and coming in at group 2 to 4 so it's time to dance the dance.
The big three comparison sites cover most of the market so after a quick quote from the big independant Direct Line we rolled the dice.
The good thing about these sites is you can log back into your account later to edit data and manipulate price.

After 2 hours we came to the conclusion that there was more chance of platting fog then obtaining lower quotes without having a box fitted.
The boxes monitor driving habits acceleration speed etc encouraging good driving habits.
There are many companies in the market place using them with some being self fit into the cars 12 volt cigarette lighter.

The quotations received were incredible diverse with some wanting in excess of £3500
The majority of results bottomed at £2k to 2.5k
The lowest quotes were with the co-op and a company called Wise box who had a high defacto insurance rating of 4 stars so all good there then.
The price was £1390 with just herself to drive or £1270 with her elder sister as a nominated driver.
So sometimes adding a nominated driver can have marginal results and at the end of the day a penny saved is a penny earned.
However all that glitters is not gold and when I added myself as a nominee they wanted £2500.
I have not had an at fault accident in 36 years but my job description vexted them immensly.
To conclude some insurers offer discount for named drivers and some do not.

Data input was a 24 year old female on first years insurance driving a 2016 plate kia Rio 1249cc 5 door hatchback.
Annual mileage of 8,000 and no previous convictions.
Next year when she is 25 and has a years NCD I would guess she ill be looking at around the £700 mark.

I also input a fiesta 5 door style 2 year old coming in at £1480.I think the Kia will fit her criteria and carries a 7 year warranty as standard.
The lowest quote with no telamatics was £1600.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed my test at the good old age of 46 (last year) and found the more you have on who could conceivably have to drive the motor the better (I had brother/sister in law/dad/mate) and it made a difference...I looked a little deeper and it seems (un-tested) even someone with only a provisional who could conceivably drive the car reduces it. (This was off some piston head type forum btw)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.