Bernardo Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old conundrum when building a squad, do you want replacements or alternatives? I think if your coach is as great as Pep, and players are good enough to adapt, then you want as much quality and variety as possible, rather than for example Sane, and a less good version of Sane on the bench.
Sane and Sterling are hardly similar. But both possess tremendous speed. We can find another player with varying degrees of other qualities, but one who has that underlying similarity of immense pace.

If it were up to me, that third player will be Gelson Martin's. He is the kind of raw talent on the outside that can become unplayable under Pep.

We are at our best with 2 wingers flying at you off of deadly passes from the exquisite Quartet of Silva, Silva, Ilkay and Kevin

Sane and Sterling are hardly similar. But both possess tremendous speed. We can find another player with varying degrees of other qualities, but one who has that underlying similarity of immense pace.

If it were up to me, that third player will be Gelson Martin's. He is the kind of raw talent on the outside that can become unplayable under Pep.

We are at our best with 2 wingers flying at you off of deadly passes from the exquisite Quartet of Silva, Silva, Ilkay and Kevin
I don't like bringing up things from the past, but I fully believe Sancho would be perfectly suited for us this season, he would have been the perfect option for the 3rd winger that I think Bernardo doesn't quite bring.

On Gelson Martin, he has the qualities on paper but I worry because he is a poor finisher. He would HAVE to improve that under Pep, now Sterling has so there is hope, but I would hope there are better options. This makes me think Barker would have been a good option or Patrick Roberts, would have been nice to have one of those stay this season for added winger depth.

I don't like bringing up things from the past, but I fully believe Sancho would be perfectly suited for us this season, he would have been the perfect option for the 3rd winger that I think Bernardo doesn't quite bring.

On Gelson Martin, he has the qualities on paper but I worry because he is a poor finisher. He would HAVE to improve that under Pep, now Sterling has so there is hope, but I would hope there are better options. This makes me think Barker would have been a good option or Patrick Roberts, would have been nice to have one of those stay this season for added winger depth.
I here you on Sancho. It saddened me as it became obvious that he was leaving. :(

As for Barker or Roberts, I think those guys have unique skills but not that pure speed. Certainly not Roberts.

Let me not be coy, Gelson Martin's is bloody raw, but no more so than Sadio Mane was 3 years ago. Actually, I'd say he is a bit more polished than Mane.

But he has that similar drive, energy and belief in his speed and skill that has propelled Mane. I have no doubt, he'd score for fun in a team like ours.

I here you on Sancho. It saddened me as it became obvious that he was leaving. :(

As for Barker or Roberts, I think those guys have unique skills but not that pure speed. Certainly not Roberts.

Let me not be coy, Gelson Martin's is bloody raw, but no more so than Sadio Mane was 3 years ago. Actually, I'd say he is a bit more polished than Mane.

But he has that similar drive, energy and belief in his speed and skill that has propelled Mane. I have no doubt, he'd score for fun in a team like ours.
What about Inaki Williams? Just spit-balling other players.

He's definitely not a similar winger to Sterling and Sane. He doesn't have that explosive speed or very direct approach. Felt like a lot of the through balls to him last night expected too much of him. Pep has to decide whether he plays out wide and we change our approach a bit, or he fits in centrally.

As an example of allowing him to play wide and drift centrally, we could drop KDB even deeper when Bernardo has the ball and push the full back up to overlap:

EM

JS - NO - FD

KDB - F

KW - BS - DS - LS

SA​

People think he is the Silva replacement for me he a player who plays behind a striker.

The player who for me will be the Silva replacement came on with 5 mins to go Diaz whose ball retention and turn of the shoulder to go past players is Silvaess be great to see him and Foden to come through together.

if Pep choose to rest Sane or Sterling (or both), 442 diamond is the best formation.
all we need is signing another young attacking left back.
sign sanchez and left wing back on January, and we are set.

-------------- sanchez ----- kun
------------------- bernardo
------------- delph ------ gundogan
LWB ---------------- yaya ---------- danilo
---------- otamendi --- kompany

People think he is the Silva replacement for me he a player who plays behind a striker.

The player who for me will be the Silva replacement came on with 5 mins to go Diaz whose ball retention and turn of the shoulder to go past players is Silvaess be great to see him and Foden to come through together.
I was thinking just that when I was watching the game.
One thing that sets Dave apart is his ability to take the ball on the half turn, see the next pass, and so create space instantly. Brahim showed that immediately last night. Bernardo seems to like to hold onto the ball a bit longer and whilst he seems fantastically skilful we lose momentum at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.