What is the oldest song or chant that City fans sing?

The Viking song must be about 50 years old now ("City, City, the best team in the land and all the world" - the tune is the theme tune from the Charlton Heston(?)/Tony Curtis film The Vikings which came out in the late 60s)

Funnily enough, we've been singing it all these years and now it might actually be true.
I wrote about this in the MCFC programme last season and thanks to BM members we traced it to 23/10/1976 - the film was shown on TV and the Viking Call was used by City fans at Ipswich Town and then at Norwich the week after.

From 1950s, so correct me if your memory is better. An adaptation of words from the early 19th century, with a tune said to be written by a German ww2 general. The Happy Wanderer.....wait for it.....it's dire...

Oh City are a well played team,
With Trautmann in the net,
And with a bit of Revies luck,
We'll come home with the cup.
Valderee Valdera
Valderee Valder aha ha ha ha
Blue and White
Blue and White
You're always in my sight.

Something tells me that it was not a genuine Kippax song, but made up by the MEN.

We'll make Joe Mercer king of England
And Georgie Best the Queen

I don't remember much in the way of songs when I started going to Maine Road in the late 50s and early 60s. All I can recall is the very lame "2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate? C-I-T-Y City!" When City played newly promoted Liverpool the first home game of the 1962-63 season the Liverpool fans were belting out their much more powerful "Ee-aye-addio" chant and I don't recall the well outdated 'appreciate' song ever being sung again at Maine Road.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.