What is there new and worthwhile to do in Manchester?

How long are you in Edinburgh mate?
We’ll be there 1-3 Dec, but it looks as though the 2nd will be a full fledged trip to Glasgow for a walk about before and after the match—I’ve never been so, though I know it’s not the same sight as Edinburgh, I am actually looking forward to it. The last day will be a bit abridged as we need to take the train back to Manchester that evening. That gives us 24 hours total touring time in the city, give or take.
Britannia is in Leith and it is worth spending some time in. Good vibe and more Michelin stars than you can shake a stick at. If you want something a little more homely try the Kings Warke. Depending on how long you stay, the old town round the royal mile is a must. Every type of pub from bright and shiny to v traditional. Avoid princes street other than Christmas market which has some good stuff in amongst the tat. If you have a day, I would spilt between old town and Leith. More than that, new town + galleries. Modern art is very good but is a good walk/Taxi out of centre. It’s worth a visit as is the portrait gallery. Have a look what’s on at the Kings/Festival although might be Panto season! If you like authentic French food cafe st honaire is v good. Fishers in the city or preferably Leith good for seafood. The chop house in town and in Leith also good. For gastromy Martin Wishart but you would have to book in advance as it is booked up.
Cheers, mate—this is great information. We’ll be going to Princes St as we both have a soft spot for Christmas markets (and need to pick up gifts for the family) and will also have to trek out to Leith based on your recommendation.

Know of any decent places to watch City near enough to Waverley (Royal Mile)?

Whitworth definitely worth a visit - a world class venue we have our our hands now.
As a starter drink (and never fails to impress when I have visitors over) is the Refuge bar (there's a restaurant too) in the Principal hotel (formerly Palace hotel). Whitworth is only 5-10 mins taxi ride away. Enough features in there to gloss over the fact you've mashed another drink into the itinerary.
If you're heading to the NQ then the Mackie Mayor (for food and drink) is a must. I'd normally suggest jumping the tram to Altrincham and trying their food market (which the Mackie Mayor is based on) but if time's short then just stick with the Mackie.
There's a few arty shops on Oldham Street (Magma) and there used to be a photo gallery in the NQ (Richrd Goodhall Gallery) but that closed and I'm not sure if it moved elsewhere. However, the sister gallery (seeling 'cool' posters and film prints etc) is still open: http://www.richardgoodallgallery.com/

If in the week then Chethams Library (not open to the public, sadly, at the weekend) and also the ace John Rylands Libary on Deansgate.

Certainly noticed a big increase in homelessness over the past couple of years, but nothing like the problem they have in many US cities (try San Francisco's Tenderloin district).
There does seem to be an impetus to tackle these issues quite thoroughly (but the scale is probably far deeper than the few sleepers we see on each of the Ctiy's main streets).

We’ll be there 1-3 Dec, but it looks as though the 2nd will be a full fledged trip to Glasgow for a walk about before and after the match—I’ve never been so, though I know it’s not the same sight as Edinburgh, I am actually looking forward to it. The last day will be a bit abridged as we need to take the train back to Manchester that evening. That gives us 24 hours total touring time in the city, give or take.

Cheers, mate—this is great information. We’ll be going to Princes St as we both have a soft spot for Christmas markets (and need to pick up gifts for the family) and will also have to trek out to Leith based on your recommendation.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but the Three sisters down on the Cowgate will most likely cover it. It’s very close to the royal mile and mo more tha 10very leisurely minutes walk from Waverley. Don’t watch football in town so can’t give it a personal recommendation but it is v popular.

The game is on Sky so there will be plenty.
There used to be a few in Market Street near Waverley Station.
Not been for a while but pretty sure that would be a good bet.
There is a bar in Waverley Station itself.
Not sure if they show Sky though.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but the Three sisters down on the Cowgate will most likely cover it. It’s very close to the royal mile and mo more tha 10very leisurely minutes walk from Waverley. Don’t watch football in town so can’t give it a personal recommendation but it is v popular.
@bennyboy Thank you both for the tips. I’ve sent some inquiries to a few pubs via twitter, as is the custom these days, and will hopefully line up a decent place before then. Haven’t missed watching one of our matches either on the tele or in the flesh in quite sometime (it has even become a staple event at my current office, which actually has a few blues) and don’t intend to break the streak while on holiday.

@bennyboy Thank you both for the tips. I’ve sent some inquiries to a few pubs via twitter, as is the custom these days, and will hopefully line up a decent place before then. Haven’t missed watching one of our matches either on the tele or in the flesh in quite sometime (it has even become a staple event at my current office, which actually has a few blues) and don’t intend to break the streak while on holiday.
Have a great trip mate.

Have a great trip.
You will have a ball in Edinburgh.
Modern art gallery is only a 15 minute stroll from Haymarket Station.
There is also a regular free bus service from the national gallery to the portrait and modern gallery.

You would not get the game on The Royal Mile I don't think, been in most bars on there and can't recollect any, they all cater for the tourist. Dropkick Murphys is an Irish Bar somewhere between Princess Street and The Royal Mile, they had a ton of screens last year.

You would not get the game on The Royal Mile I don't think, been in most bars on there and can't recollect any, they all cater for the tourist. Dropkick Murphys is an Irish Bar somewhere between Princess Street and The Royal Mile, they had a ton of screens last year.
I had heard of Dropkick Murphy’s but unfortunately they don’t open until 19:30.

Still hoping the Three Sisters will have it on.

In Manchester they've started doing an open top bus tour (If the weather is alright you can go and see the different areas and have a walk about Salford Quays, University area etc). We have City bikes now, you can download the app, it's called 'mobike'. They're really easy to use and a cheap/nice way to see the City centre. I'd definitely recommend the Christmas markets and there is a nice pub round the corner that Lowry used to drink in - they do nice, reasonably priced pub grub, if your missus is into her Art, there is a bronze statue of him at the bar which she might find cool. It's called Sam's Chop House.

Northern Quarter is great for a walk around. Comedy Store on Deansgate was brilliant when I went. Piccadily and market street is infested with spice zombies nowadays so I'd skip them and maybe head to the Printworks. I love the museum of science and industry. Deansgate looks brilliant, especially with the new skyscrapers they're building. If there is a Football game on whilst you're hear try and go.

I've only been to Edinburgh as a tourist once... I went to a place called 'Camera Obscura & World of illusions' - seriously, it's brilliant!! Think it was £20 each and you get 6/7 floors of different illusions, photo opportunities, virtual reality stuff and then the top floor, they do a 'tour of Edinburgh'... Only go if it's a clear day, but it's a really, really good attraction IMO. Right on the Royal Mile as well so you don't have to go far to get there. I didn't enjoy Arthurs seat when I went, but it wasn't the clearest day so couldn't see much. They have a cool zoo on the side of a mountain, you get brilliant views over the valley below. Sterling is worth the 20/30 minute train journey.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.