Roberto Mancini - next Italy manager

Im still pissed about the maner of his dismissal. To let it be known he was toast in Spain before the event which resulted in Barca leaking it to the press the week before the cup final cost us the FA cup. A trophy we haven't won since.
My understanding was that Barcelona had also approached Pellegrini but were told that he was committed to us. I'm not sure we hung him out to dry.

My understanding was that Barcelona had also approached Pellegrini but were told that he was committed to us. I'm not sure we hung him out to dry.
Yep that's my understanding too.
It should have been sorted out the day after the Chelsea QF. To wait for a leak was mismanagement.

Last edited:
I actually got the chance to ask Marwood about what is was like to work with Mancini. It was only a brief conversation but he essentially indicated Mancini was more difficult than the accepted public wisdom i.e. we don't know the half of it. Marwood, BTW, was very matter of fact about it, no bitterness or edge or slagging Mancini off.

I'm sure we don't know the half of it and everything points to him being difficult to work with. I still love the fact that he turned us into winners, but I felt a bit sorry for Marwood when Mancini seemed to blame him publicly for the transfer failures in the summer of 2012. You still get people on here going on about it and blaming Marwood, but he was operating to strict instructions from Abu Dhabi which resulted from the policy with regard to FFP that was decided at the very top of the club. I happen to think it was the right policy, though we were still shafted by UEFA, but if people want to disagree, it's a legitimate argument. Blame Khaldoon and the Sheikh, though. (Incidentally, I understand that Mancini's public disparaging of Marwood didn't go down all that well in Abu Dhabi precisely because Marwood was acting in the way he'd been instructed to).

Meanwhile, in last night's Europa League game, Zenit beat Macedonian side FK Vardar:

It was a bit like City at West Brom the other week - one of the most one-sided wins with a single goal margin that you'll ever see, with lots of missed chances and a goal pulled back at the death to give the scoreline a completely misleading aspect. Zenit led 2-0 at the break and had already missed a penalty at that point (or rather, the opposing 'keeper pulled off a good save). They should have scored more but didn't, before Vardar notched their late consolation.

Mancini, having rested several key players, seemed happy enough. Next up for Zenit, meanwhile, is the vital Monday night league trip to Moscow to face a resurgent Spartak.

I'm sure we don't know the half of it and everything points to him being difficult to work with. I still love the fact that he turned us into winners, but I felt a bit sorry for Marwood when Mancini seemed to blame him publicly for the transfer failures in the summer of 2012. You still get people on here going on about it and blaming Marwood, but he was operating to strict instructions from Abu Dhabi which resulted from the policy with regard to FFP that was decided at the very top of the club. I happen to think it was the right policy, though we were still shafted by UEFA, but if people want to disagree, it's a legitimate argument. Blame Khaldoon and the Sheikh, though. (Incidentally, I understand that Mancini's public disparaging of Marwood didn't go down all that well in Abu Dhabi precisely because Marwood was acting in the way he'd been instructed to).

I am not at all close to what goes on athe club and something still doesn't sit right with me about the whole Mancini sacking thing. Not the sacking. He should have gone at the end of 2011/12 if you ask me. But this:

If management knew he wouldn't work with a DOF, or at least one of his own, and with the plans for Begiristain and Soriano, why on God's green earth give him a new 5 year contract. They knew the guy. What did they expect to happen?

Throw Guardiola's availability into the mix and I get the impression we are missing a big chunk of what happened that summer (or at least I am .....)

I am not at all close to what goes on athe club and something still doesn't sit right with me about the whole Mancini sacking thing. Not the sacking. He should have gone at the end of 2011/12 if you ask me. But this:

If management knew he wouldn't work with a DOF, or at least one of his own, and with the plans for Begiristain and Soriano, why on God's green earth give him a new 5 year contract. They knew the guy. What did they expect to happen?

Throw Guardiola's availability into the mix and I get the impression we are missing a big chunk of what happened that summer (or at least I am .....)

They gave him a five-year contract, but it included a clause setting a fixed amount of compensation if he was fired. And remember that by the time he signed the deal, Mancini had made us champions while there was the prospect that Guardiola would be available the following summer (he'd announced that he was leaving Barca and taking a year out by this point). I think it's possible that, a couple of months before, we'd had wind of Guardiola's intention to leave Barca through the impending appointments of Ferran and Txiki. We might have hoped to replace Mancini with Guardiola in 2012 (I know @Prestwich_Blue has a theory about this) and then, when it fell through, put in place arrangements that left us with a crack at pursuing Guardiola in 2013. From Mancini's side, if he did leave after one more season, he was in effect guaranteed three years' salary for one year's work, so there was something in it for him, too.

Meanwhile, Mancini is quoted in the Italian press as suggesting that he fancies a crack at the Italy job. The words below come from the online round-up at skyscports.com today, for which the link is here: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ter&utm_source=quiboat&utm_content=&utm_term=

Zenit St Petersburg boss Roberto Mancini says managing Italy would be "a great honour and the ultimate dream". The Azzurri are looking for a successor to Gian Piero Ventura who was sacked after failing to qualify for the World Cup. Carlo Ancelotti is believed to be the favourite for the position, but former Manchester City coach Mancini has tossed his hat back into the ring. (Rai Sport)

And finally for now a happy 53rd birthday to Roberto:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.