Rugby League World Cup Final - England V Australia 0900hrs 02/12/17

I was just thinking exactly this before,and true to form as I heard an England player say to him on the ref mic that he was a cheating ****,giving them everything as well

I assume not in those words. Players always complain that the other side are being favoured.

There really isn't an issue in it being an Aussie ref. There are really only 3 national sides of note, and the NZ players play in Australia. They've picked the top ref, and he happens to be Australian.

Ok was just wondering as surely a conflict of interest.
Anyway I am now reminded watching this why I don't normally, not exactly riveting.

All over.

Didn't see any of the game, but post-match comes across like Australia have only won a routine game, not a World Cup final.

So are the NRL and State of Origin the 'holy grails' in League?

Good performance by England albeit against one of the poorer Aussie sides i've ever seen.
For RL to grow you need a more competitive international game, There's Australia followed by England and sometimes NZ, after those sides the standard is dire.

Not watched RL for years, used to be expansive with great fast wingers but it was a bit scared to attack type of game, as a one off was ok bit like a game of chess almost, but couldn't watch that sort of game week in week out.

There really isn't an issue in it being an Aussie ref. There are really only 3 national sides of note, and the NZ players play in Australia. They've picked the top ref, and he happens to be Australian.
They have probably picked the best referee, but a lot of people would disagree it's not an issue or doesn't give the Aussies an advantage.

This is because NRL & Superleague refs tend to apply the rules differently or more strictly/leniently within certain aspects in the game.

For instance, Superleague refs tend to be more strict at the 'play-the-ball' area and penalise more for lying on in the tackle/ trying to delay the play.
Therefore Superleague teams gear a lot of their game around getting quick play-the-balls, as it gives the defending side less time to get their defensive line 'set' and organised, which usually leads to more line breaks (or penalties).

In contrast Aussies refs are more lenient, which means the defending team get more time to get their defence organised, making it harder for the offensive team to make 'breaks'.

So in essence our players spend all season playing a certain way, but then have to adapt for one-off games when they get reffed by an Aussie, putting them at a dis-advantage.

You could then ask 'why don't SL refs ref similiar to the NRL?', and the answer is that SL games are generally considered more open and exciting games, compared to the NRL.
Some NRL teams (like the Melbourne Storm) are quite mechanical and rigid in their play style, where their whole game is based on five big carries, a good kick & chase, then pressuring the opposing team to make a mistake near their own goal line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.