Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt he used to be pretty fast? Looks slow as fuck these days for some reason.

He'll start tomorrow and as far as I can tell the more he plays the more comfortable he'll be in the system and receiving the ball. He really hasn't played that much under Pep and lets not forget that all out CBs took time to get to the position where they are reliable now.

I agree with you 100% and I hate it when so called supporters set out to scapegoat certain players. He's our fourth choice CB, who very rarely plays and yet surprisingly makes fewer mistakes in any game he does play than so called "superior" players who have played in the team for more consecutive matches . If we look back at any thread on any player there are always some supporters claiming "he isn't good enough". Cut the guy some slack. He isn't as good as some but he's a damn sight better than many other players who have worn the City shirt in the last 20 years.
CTID

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt he used to be pretty fast? Looks slow as fuck these days for some reason.

That's what annoyed me about the Arnautovic thing; Mangala had matched him for pace and got to the ball first. It's when he had to play the ball that he slowed down, allowing Arnautovic to pinch the ball and go clean down the wing. IMO, he needs to realise (as Stones has) that booting it into row Z is sometimes better than playing the pass. I suspect it's hard for Mangala considering the general opinion that passing is not his strong suit, so hoofing it clear is used as evidence against him, rather than the best case in the situation.

I suspect his dithering in playing the ball was because he was considering how he could control the ball, or play it to a teammate, rather than how he could avoid Arnautovic getting past him.

As others have said, other than that incident he had a fine game and a 4th choice CB is never going to be as good as a 1st choice.

He always gets back quickly from corners! But yes, there were at least a couple of times on Sunday where he looked slower than usual.

Kompany makes a lot of glaring positional (and ball control/distribution) mistakes however these are rarely noticed as he is seen as a world class centre back.

Mangala makes the odd mistake but they are more noticeable and scrutinised to a greater degree as he is perceived as a poor player (which he isn't).

I agree with a poster above comparing him to Stones who does occasionally punt it into the crowd when required and how Quim might be reticent to do so.

In my opinion it's up to Pep to say to him that it's okay to clear the ball sometimes, especially as his technique on the ball isn't great (but not bad for a centre back).

Pep and Arteta have managed to coach Sterling's body position and foot alignment, no reason why they can't do the same for Mangala.

Last edited:
People keep harping on about the errors one way or another but it's more than that. The fact is he could make zero errors and he'd still be the wrong player for us, whereas Stones and Otamendi last season made errors and were the right players.

He works hard, and it's clear he's more adept at playing the Pep way than before. But it's not enough.

I think I've written it here on for about hundred times, but so weird that his vision is actually totally spot on. He had a lovely cut through pass at 0-2 not too long before HT, which was actually perfectly executed, yet his weird body adjustment and panicky passing under pressure (he set up a lovely counter out of nowhere for Shakhtar at 0-1) makes him totally counterproductive in our side...

Tosin should be ahead of him in the pecking order. Curiously, Mangala has lost a yard of pace, isn't good enough on the ball and can always be relied upon to make at least one dreadful error a game. Yet he's surprisingly quite good at long distance passing. Strange player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.