Leroy Sane - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think that shows nicely how Sane's physicallity is not only about being lighting quick but also to have the body to fend of a number of defenders, atleast for a winger of his age, and probably will become even stronger in the years to come. Fairly tall too for a guy with such speed. More like Ronaldo or Bale than Messi or Neymar.

Last edited:
@FlemishDuck It shows his quality and physical strength I'll go with that but I don't go in for player labelling Sane is Sane IMHO quality unlike no other that's why Pep wanted him...

When a player is young you liken them to others such as Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez etc once people stop attaching others names to them is when you know they are approaching world class in their own right(providing they are still in the discussion of elite players). Nobody does that with Hazard any more, or De Bruyne... I think Sané is already looking like his own this season which is a good sign.

Honestly believe this is Sané's team, we really miss him when he's not playing. He'd have stretched that defence last night and created more space for others but we have to get better when we don't have our best 11.

I want to see the game where either him or Merlin is missed, it's usually both of them when they don't play. Hard to decide who we miss more.

I want to see the game where either him or Merlin is missed, it's usually both of them when they don't play. Hard to decide who we miss more.
In my opinion they're missed for different reasons.

Sane at the moment is our only source of natural width on the left given Mendy's out. So when he doesn't play, naturally it follows through that we have no width out there and that's why we suffer, especially given how important width is to a Pep system. But an argument could be made that if we had another left winger at the club, or even a left back that's got the ability to get up and down to provide the width, then Sane wouldn't be quite as missed. Obviously his ability makes him a miss regardless, but more so due to the lack of cover in a sense.

Silva's more missed due to his sheer quality. In theory, if we were at full strength right now (excluding Mendy ofc) and Silva was the only player unavailable we wouldn't deviate from the way we play to the same extent we do without Sane. However the problem is that Silva is our most adept player in the 'False 8' role that Pep likes. We have players that could all do well there and all offer incredible ability for the role (De Bruyne especially) but none of them are quite on Silva's level, in terms of control, fluidity and familiarity in the position. Having no Silva would be like having Danilo play instead of Walker. In that it wouldn't change the way we play but you'd notice the difference.

Honestly, I think we'd miss Sane more. Because positional play is everything in a Pep system, and width plays a huge role in that. As a player Silva is on another level but due to the lack of cover for our left sided players a Sane injury can be far more disruptive.

Whilst it's hyperbole at this stage, I cannot help but draw comparisons to Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.