The Boxing thread

Seen the injury, not ideal obviously it basically stopped him from being able to win anything from round 8 on. If we're honest though, Cotto was struggling well before that. Hit hard and hurt early doors, timing off, jab not nearly as authoritative as it used to be. He wasn't the same Cotto even from his previous fight when he bashed Kamegai from pillar to post.

On the juicing debate, you can ask questions and come up with what we think are probable or likely answers but ultimately there's no concrete facts. No official drugs tests were failed as far as I'm aware. Yes I know boxing has a rep for being crooked as fuck in many forms over the years but I'd rather not condemn fighters over things that haven't been scientifically proven against them. Not everyone's choice I know but it is mine. Fighters operating in multiple weight classes these days is much more commonplace though Pacquiao is an extreme example of that with the success he had with it.

Agree on the injury, it made a bad situation worse rather than being the deciding factor. Cotto remained classy though, which is rare.

Pac didn't fail drugs tests as he refused to take them. Agree there is therefore no 'proof' but for me his career is tainted.

Agree on the injury, it made a bad situation worse rather than being the deciding factor. Cotto remained classy though, which is rare.

Pac didn't fail drugs tests as he refused to take them. Agree there is therefore no 'proof' but for me his career is tainted.

Since when did he refuse to take them?

Wasn't Mayweather demanding all sorts though right up to a couple of days before the fight? Blood testing and the like? Pretty sure blood testing that close to the fight can't have been good for the fighter especially the punishment they go through to make weight as well. Loads of people out there who don't respond well physically to having blood extracted from them and I'd imagine that's especially the case for fighters and other finely tuned athletes. Not that I really know anything about the subject mind.

Wasn't Mayweather demanding all sorts though right up to a couple of days before the fight? Blood testing and the like? Pretty sure blood testing that close to the fight can't have been good for the fighter especially the punishment they go through to make weight as well. Loads of people out there who don't respond well physically to having blood extracted from them and I'd imagine that's especially the case for fighters and other finely tuned athletes. Not that I really know anything about the subject mind.

He refused Olympic style testing. Wouldn't agree to testing within 30 days of a fight. Neither obviously prove that he had something to hide, but it's more than enough to cast serious doubt.

Also, and I'm not 100% on this, but Khan was his training partner at the time and he too wouldn't be tested.

Edit: It was around the time Alex Ariza was the S&C trainer at Wild Card.

He refused Olympic style testing. Wouldn't agree to testing within 30 days of a fight. Neither obviously prove that he had something to hide, but it's more than enough to cast serious doubt.

Also, and I'm not 100% on this, but Khan was his training partner at the time and he too wouldn't be tested.

Edit: It was around the time Alex Ariza was the S&C trainer at Wild Card.

So why has Khan never had a spell in his career where he destroyed everyone in front of him? He's been the same fighter and had the same flaws his whole career.

I do get the doubt but the suggestion that he might have had something to hide doesn't automatically make me believe that he did have anything untoward to hide. There are unique people out there genetically and it's just as likely Pacquiao is one of them as it is that he may have had some illegitimate help. Without proof either way, it's all hearsay with no right or wrong answer.

Decent night tomorrow DeGale fights Caleb Truax, Lee Selby also on the card. Lomachenko fights Rigo later in NY live on Boxnation.

The skill level on show in that Rigo Loma fight will be insane. 100% be getting up to watch that one live. Love watching Lomachenko but got a sneaky feeling Rigo will pull something stunning out of the bag and get it done inside the distance. I know there's a 2-weight jump for Rigo in this fight but he's just that good, that skilful and a real sniper on the counter, I can see him getting it done inside the distance I really can. I'm prepared for that to be proven total bollocks but it's just the hunch I've had for the last couple of days.

So why has Khan never had a spell in his career where he destroyed everyone in front of him? He's been the same fighter and had the same flaws his whole career.

I do get the doubt but the suggestion that he might have had something to hide doesn't automatically make me believe that he did have anything untoward to hide. There are unique people out there genetically and it's just as likely Pacquiao is one of them as it is that he may have had some illegitimate help. Without proof either way, it's all hearsay with no right or wrong answer.

Khan's problem has always been his chin. PEDs wouldn't help there.

Just have a read up on what was going on there while Ariza was involved. You're obviously entitled to believe everything was clean, but it's certainly worth reading some of the boxing press from that time.

Edit: Nice to chat to another Cotto fan on here btw

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.