The Pre-Takeover Year...

quiet_riot

Team supported
City
It’s a good read, and a great insight into just how much of a shambles we were in those days. Know a few people who worked at the club around the time, and that article doesn’t even begin to cover it.

All part of the rich fabric of Manchester City Football Club though. It’s why we love them so much.

West Ham away on the opening day was one of my favourite ever aways. Sunshine, optimism and a raft of international footballers playing a style of football the polar opposite of the dull, defensive football of the Pearce years. Football many of us had never seen before by a City side.

Always remember that season favourably and will always wonder how Influential Bojinov would have become. Seemed like he could have been a real cult favourite.

West Ham away on the opening day was one of my favourite ever aways. Sunshine, optimism and a raft of international footballers playing a style of football the polar opposite of the dull, defensive football of the Pearce years. Football many of us had never seen before by a City side.

Always remember that season favourably and will always wonder how Influential Bojinov would have become. Seemed like he could have been a real cult favourite.

Think you might be getting Bojinov mixed up with Bianci, who played in Svens team and scored in his first game against the Hammers.

Loved that season till the later part, when everyone gave up as Svens fate became obvious, the farce of last home game and car give away with about 500 people left in the ground after defeat to fulham and then the 8-1

It was a fitting end to the old style running of city that it was completley chaotic, Taksins party in the square and us finally winning at the swamp and doubling them along with other memorable times. Typical City went out as it had always been since Swales, absolutely disorganised.

Was a great day out, I was sick as a dog, didn't even have a beer all day, imagine that!!!

Had £20 on Bianchi first scorer, was telling my hammer mate at work all week to get on it, 8/1 he was.

Felt better after the game, so made up for it with a few ales on the way home. Played in that lovely white kit with the light blue on it too, didn't we?

I still wake up in a cold sweat when I remember getting a phone call, not long after Garry Cook took over as CEO and Hughes was appointed, to tell me it looked like we were going into administration. Had that happened we'd probably have been able to buy the club for around £2m. Now it's worth £2bn.

Also someone senior at the club told me that Thaksin threw a vase at Sven during a row about transfers around Xmas time. Then there was the Benjani transfer, where he didn't want to come so made every excuse not to travel up. In the meantime we'd filed all the papers. Eventually he was persuaded to come up to Manchester but by this time we'd got fed up and decided we weren't going to go through with it but, having filed the papers, had to complete the deal. So we had a player we didn't want, who didn't want to be here then went out and scored the winning goal in the derby. You could not make this stuff up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.