The Pre-Takeover Year...

I still wake up in a cold sweat when I remember getting a phone call, not long after Garry Cook took over as CEO and Hughes was appointed, to tell me it looked like we were going into administration. Had that happened we'd probably have been able to buy the club for around £2m. Now it's worth £2bn.

Also someone senior at the club told me that Thaksin threw a vase at Sven during a row about transfers around Xmas time. Then there was the Benjani transfer, where he didn't want to come so made every excuse not to travel up. In the meantime we'd filed all the papers. Eventually he was persuaded to come up to Manchester but by this time we'd got fed up and decided we weren't going to go through with it but, having filed the papers, had to complete the deal. So we had a player we didn't want, who didn't want to be here then went out and scored the winning goal in the derby. You could not make this stuff up.
I remember the very real fear city could have gone into administration, it was horrible. Thank goodness for Mr.Mansour, he saved our club from who knows what

Think you might be getting Bojinov mixed up with Bianci, who played in Svens team and scored in his first game against the Hammers.

No Bojinov mate. Came on with 30 mins to go and he just had something about him. Think he did his cruciates 3/4 matches into the season. Scored a few beauts pre season against Milan one year also.

That was a great and confusing time to be a blue. Some of that pre Christmas footy was the best I’d seen in many a year and of course at the time the majority of us had no idea why things went tits up in the new year.

Ironically singing what the f**k is going on, one of my favourite away games that.

It was a carnival atmosphere and only comparable to Robinhos debut. Both surreal days and beautifully highlighted the insanity of being a city fan.

Was a great day out, I was sick as a dog, didn't even have a beer all day, imagine that!!!

Had £20 on Bianchi first scorer, was telling my hammer mate at work all week to get on it, 8/1 he was.

Felt better after the game, so made up for it with a few ales on the way home. Played in that lovely white kit with the light blue on it too, didn't we?

Yes we did. Great kit that. Highlight was Geovani scoring late on in front of the City fans cue delirium in the stands.

Reading it now

02A4BB5900000578-0-image-a-6_1512679929105.jpg

+17
Despite a tumultuous year, Sheikh Mansour swooped in to make City a superpower in 2008

"At his first staff meeting at City in June 2007, Thaksin Shinawatra pointed to a photograph of a dog on a chart and said: 'If a dog can bark, good. If it can't bark then shoot it.' Those in the room felt the analogy was appropriate. Thaksin's minder wore a thick black belt round his waist in which some presumed rested a gun.

'If you made Thaksin a cup of tea, that guy would be one foot behind you to watch what you put in it,' recalled a former City staffer."

Hilarious blend of optimism, tragedy and farce which nicely encapsulates what City have been for many fans over the years. We're a bit different now mind.

The Thai buffet in Albert square with a squad with exotic names such as Geovanni and bianchi. I was utterly convinced no one could stop us under even and we would romp the league.

Happy days!

No Bojinov mate. Came on with 30 mins to go and he just had something about him. Think he did his cruciates 3/4 matches into the season. Scored a few beauts pre season against Milan one year also.

Yeah, Bojinov did his cruciate after a few mins of the 1-0 win over the rags at home - then did it again the following year against Villa in the warm up!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.