Legalised American Murder...

I was listening to a podcast the other day about this kind of incident. Apparently the only part of this kind of sequence that is 'relevent' is the moment that caused the police officer to fire. I've not seen the video but in this case would appear to be Shaver reaching for his waistband. Absolutely nothing else is considered 'relevent' but the one moment. So the question becomes - ignoring every single thing leading up to that moment is it 'reasonable' to assume a mean reaching for his waistband may have a weapon?

My own personal opinion is that most of these actions are created by fear. If you look at the death of Philando Castile for example the cops are still shouting at him as he's bleeding to death. This is a country terrified of each other. It must be extremely difficult being a police officer especially in a country where people are armed BUT they should be demanding better
It's getting the same way in this country, people being wary of each other.
Comment on an observation to a fellow passenger on public transport and it's like you're some kind of weirdo...

A couple of points; I disagree the actions displayed by the officer were fear driven. He was calm and authoritative...
Thanks Bigga - I was talking generally rather than about this particular incident so thanks for the comments and clarification.

Edit** also I'm not qualified to speak confidentially on the matter but I think the legal precedent is that it is literally only that specific moment of shooting 'counts'. You could strip the guy naked to see he's carrying nothing then redress him so you know he's definitely carrying nothing but if they make a move to a pocket or waistband it's that moment alone that is looked at.

Ironically that's due to a Supreme Court decision based on a case where the police beat up a guy called Dethorne Granham having a diebetic episode.

I'm not trying to defend the police officer just shed some light on why the police officers keep getting off.

Last edited:
It simply should never have reached that stage. Isn't there a protocol to follow whereby a suspect is cuffed at the earliest opportunity? Was the command to crawl forwards made because they thought someone else was lurking behind the victim?
Absolutely this, i can see why he shot him (grabbing his pants) however it should never have got to that, bad training etc. Reading how they can basically shoot you for anything and just say they were scared, then god help the general public.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.