Vincent Kompany - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm, not sure if joking....

One always sees greater “greatness” in current players, but I wouldn’t discount a few others in the past 50 yrs.
I can’t think of a better defender in all the time I’ve been following us.

I'm sorry but I'm not having this. Vinny has been hurt off and on for three years now, during which time the club has shown incredible patience and has literally sent him around the world to try anything possible to help him get healthy. Over the same period of time he hasn't shown the same standard of care towards his own body, has consistently exposed himself to unnecessary risks with Belgium, and got hurt in a meaningless friendly against Gibraltar. He absolutely has not proven he can stay healthy for a long period of time and again has put us in a difficult situation going into the winter period.

In our squad we cannot have passengers. He is, and will always be, a club legend but his foreign slot is valuable and we need to move him on for the good of the club.

Bravo, Mangala, Yaya are way ahead in the line for the foreigners closest to the exit door. I dont see anything positive forcing Vinny out of the club in january. He deserves to be around when we likely will win the PL with an emotional send off and a testimonial in the summer. Who knows? Vinny might retire after the WC

Last edited:
I dont mean to be rude but... I think its fucking disrespectful to want one of our biggest legends out in january. Since these injury issues started, too many started to think we need to get rid of him. Well, if all of our CBs is of his quality then there is no crisis if he gets injured. Mangala is the problem as he simply isnt good enough. Replace him with a better CB in january and we are more than fine in the short term. Vinny HAS recently proved he can remain fit for a longer period, he was injury free from end of march to the beginning of september. At Bayern, Robben, Ribery, Boateng and particulary Badstuber were all hampered with injuries. Did Pep get rid of them? No. Because if you have the quality to play in a Guardiola team you stay in the squad. Otamendi and Stones will remain our first choice CBs, and whoever replaces Mangala will likely be 3rd choice.

Vinny has 18 months left of his contract, and the club wont get rid of him as they hold him in high regard. The likely scenario is that he retires when his contract is up, as i cant see it being renewed. So he will stay here for one more season and retire, as that is the proper thing to do as he is a legend at City.
I don’t see Vinny leaving in January. The club has too much class to do that to a man who has done so much.

we won't be moving him on as he has 18mths left on his contract,he will be left out of the cl team i would think and free up a space there, any other decisions will be made by him and the club together as it how it should be,this is vinny we are talking about here,he has led us to glory and will be treated with respect

Spot on, Karen. One of a few talking sense in this thread. We all agree we need another Cb and that Otamendi and Stones is the main paring now. But no positives in forcing him out of the club in my opinion, especially in january.

we won't be moving him on as he has 18mths left on his contract,he will be left out of the cl team i would think and free up a space there, any other decisions will be made by him and the club together as it how it should be,this is vinny we are talking about here,he has led us to glory and will be treated with respect

I don't think we're going to force him out in January; it would be impossible, there are no takers for him. And if he is on the squad next year that will be the only reason. And on a side note, I agree with all of you that he is absolutely worthy of respect but we're competing at a high level, with limitations. Each person needs to earn their spot, its just business at a certain level.

I don't think we're going to force him out in January; it would be impossible, there are no takers for him. And if he is on the squad next year that will be the only reason. And on a side note, I agree with all of you that he is absolutely worthy of respect but we're competing at a high level, with limitations. Each person needs to earn their spot, its just business at a certain level.
yaya will be gone and maybe mangaler and bravo,we'll have enough room for him to see out his last year,he is retiring from belgium after the world cup,i do think he has been wrong to overide instructions from bobby,mp and now pep when it comes to belgium,i think he has hastened his decline with injuries but thats for him to mull over in the future

I'm sorry but I'm not having this. Vinny has been hurt off and on for three years now, during which time the club has shown incredible patience and has literally sent him around the world to try anything possible to help him get healthy. Over the same period of time he hasn't shown the same standard of care towards his own body, has consistently exposed himself to unnecessary risks with Belgium, and got hurt in a meaningless friendly against Gibraltar. He absolutely has not proven he can stay healthy for a long period of time and again has put us in a difficult situation going into the winter period.

In our squad we cannot have passengers. He is, and will always be, a club legend but his foreign slot is valuable and we need to move him on for the good of the club.
I'm sure we won't be moving him on.

But I would imagine we are planning on how to cope on all fronts without him. It would be folly to have any plans that rely on Vincent being available, since no-one can have any confidence that when called upon, he will be.

I dont mean to be rude but... I think its fucking disrespectful to want one of our biggest legends out in january. Since these injury issues started, too many started to think we need to get rid of him. Well, if all of our CBs is of his quality then there is no crisis if he gets injured. Mangala is the problem as he simply isnt good enough. Replace him with a better CB in january and we are more than fine in the short term. Vinny HAS recently proved he can remain fit for a longer period, he was injury free from end of march to the beginning of september. At Bayern, Robben, Ribery, Boateng and particulary Badstuber were all hampered with injuries. Did Pep get rid of them? No. Because if you have the quality to play in a Guardiola team you stay in the squad. Otamendi and Stones will remain our first choice CBs, and whoever replaces Mangala will likely be 3rd choice.

Vinny has 18 months left of his contract, and the club wont get rid of him as they hold him in high regard. The likely scenario is that he retires when his contract is up, as i cant see it being renewed. So he will stay here for one more season and retire, as that is the proper thing to do as he is a legend at City.
You've been on here under two weeks and you're twisting what I said? Show me where I said I want vinnie out in january. You'll have a job though, because I said no such thing. Don't do that again.

You've been on here under two weeks and you're twisting what I said? Show me where I said I want vinnie out in january. You'll have a job though, because I said no such thing. Don't do that again.

I see now that i should have made two different posts, as it got a bit messy. Sorry, i have removed your quote now. You said "we can't rely on Vinny any longer to have a sustained injury free run of, say, 12 games". My point was that he has already proved it recently by being fit from the end of march until early september, and did indeed play 12 games straight for City in that period.

I see now that i should have made two different posts, as it got a bit messy. Sorry, i have removed your quote now. You said "we can't rely on Vinny any longer to have a sustained injury free run of, say, 12 games". My point was that he has already proved it recently by being fit from the end of march until early september, and did indeed play 12 games straight for City in that period.
Fair enough re. my quote being removed. People twisting my words annoy me. I still stand by my point though re Vinnie not being able to put together a sustained run of games. As you said yourself, the run you mentioned was from March until september, with the close seaon to rest and recuperate. I'd love the guy to prove me wrong, as he's one of the best City capotains I've had the privilege to watch, alongside the likes of Doyle and Booky. If Vinnie can't continue as a player, I'd love to see him stay on in some sort of capacity at the club. Coaching in the academy, or some sort of ambassadorial role (though that might not appeal to him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.