Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This from Pep’s press conference:

“We were clear on Mangala that we needed a solution in the summer,” the manager said. “The moment we didn’t I met with him in my office and said: ‘Now you are my player, you’ll be treated like everyone else.’ The reason we looked for another one, he knows. But in some games he is going to help us.“

There you have it. The manager didn’t want him. Probably on the same grounds some fans like me don’t want him: He’s just not the type of player who is comfortable playing out from the back and one whose positional play has always been suspect. Yes, he has a job to do this season and I sincerely hope he does well. None of this “eat humble pie” nonsense some of you are saying after one decent game. Let’s just all hope he can continue the promising performance against the rags until the end of the season.

“We were clear on Mangala that we needed a solution in the summer,” the manager said. “The moment we didn’t I met with him in my office and said: ‘Now you are my player, you’ll be treated like everyone else.’ The reason we looked for another one, he knows. But in some games he is going to help us.“

There you have it. The manager didn’t want him. Probably on the same grounds some fans like me don’t want him: He’s just not the type of player who is comfortable playing out from the back and one whose positional play has always been suspect. Yes, he has a job to do this season and I sincerely hope he does well. None of this “eat humble pie” nonsense some of you are saying after one decent game. Let’s just all hope he can continue the promising performance against the rags until the end of the season.
That is not news,we knew he stayed because we couldn't get anyone else and we know his limtations,he is what he is,in some more physical games likes the rags and v bony later he will be fine,getting on his back is a waste of time,at least pep was a gent and spoke 1 to 1 with him so he feels included,also he has only trained with pep for a few months so he might improve a bit yet,your post reeks of there i told you so

He'll be gone as soon as reasonably feasible - I can see January actually being an option if a decent offer comes in for him and he'd be willing to go. The issue is, the clubs he's agreed to go to (i.e Inter) have given us a piss poor option that benefits us in no way. His contract expires in 2019, so we're going to be limited on the return we get for him. £8-10m in the summer I reckon, if we're lucky. A club of Everton's level would turn his head imo and he'd suit a big Sam team - given how piss poor Williams has been this season, he'd be a good option for them.

Definitely our worst ever transfer in terms of value for money. Top lad, some decent performances, some woeful, but not in anyway right for what we need right now.

He'll be gone as soon as reasonably feasible - I can see January actually being an option if a decent offer comes in for him and he'd be willing to go. The issue is, the clubs he's agreed to go to (i.e Inter) have given us a piss poor option that benefits us in no way. His contract expires in 2019, so we're going to be limited on the return we get for him. £8-10m in the summer I reckon, if we're lucky. A club of Everton's level would turn his head imo and he'd suit a big Sam team - given how piss poor Williams has been this season, he'd be a good option for them.

Definitely our worst ever transfer in terms of value for money. Top lad, some decent performances, some woeful, but not in anyway right for what we need right now.
Bony was far worse value for money.

Bony was far worse value for money.

Considering we got approx. half of what we paid for him back, I'd argue he wasn't. Depending on what fee you go with, we're going to take a ~£20-30m hit on Mangala (if we actually manage a £10m return, which we may not).

Mangala has had better performances, but overall, for the gulf in total spent/return of investment, Mangala was a far worse purchase.

Considering we got approx. half of what we paid for him back, I'd argue he wasn't. Depending on what fee you go with, we're going to take a ~£20-30m hit on Mangala (if we actually manage a £10m return, which we may not).

Mangala has had better performances, but overall, for the gulf in total spent/return of investment, Mangala was a far worse purchase.
There's no need to go with any fee except the £32M we actually paid and was in the notes to the accounts that season.
Mangala has contributed whilst Bony did fuck all.

The last 2 games have made me feel a much, much better about him starting on the weekend.

The clearance he made after Ederson double save won us the game.

He didn't have a single mistake against United, won all the duels as far as I remember and now he have a very good performance away against Swansea.

He is the best 4th choice CB you can get and we should appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.