David Silva - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not but this season I actually think it will be an advantage playing for City when the voting starts.

Too soon to be handing out gongs or worrying about any of our players being overlooked for individual awards. Team trophies are what count anyway.

However, Dave was in PT Barnum mode last night.

He is playing better than ever. Being Captain suits him and he has stepped up how much responsibility he takes.

We've only got two and half more seasons to witness the brilliance of this little magician

Enjoy every minute because we wont see his like again

The send off will knock Zabba's into a cocked hat

From football365's winners & losers http://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-84

David Silva
Understated and still underrated, Silva remains the one master magician in the Premier League. Philippe Coutinho, Christian Eriksen and Mesut Ozil may stake their claims, but nobody touches Silva’s golden crown.

Using Stan Collymore’s opinion as a barometer of anything is dangerous, but he spent a recent column detailing why Silva should not be remembered as a Premier League all-time great, placing John Terry and Didier Drogba ahead of him, amongst others.

I use the examples of Terry and Drogba for a reason, because Silva is their antithesis. In celebrity (and punditry), it is often those who shout the loudest who get heard and therefore remembered, and we increasingly tend to take memorability as a synonym for excellence.

The same is true for football, with Collymore explaining his preference for Drogba and Terry because ‘they were dominant over several years and demanded your attention’. His reasoning is shared by many others.

It is so easy to overlook Silva, partly because he has been doing the same thing for so long and partly because what he does is so smooth. Football’s version of celebrities demanding attention to be noticed and thus remembered is players with power and pace sticking in the mind, and Silva has neither in abundance. He is, to be frank, not the type of player FIFA enthusiasts want in their team.

Yet bizarrely, it is also Silva’s sheer quality that sees him taken for granted. If we can see the cogs turning in a player, and see the effort put into every ounce of brilliance, it makes them easier to appreciate. Silva makes the difficult look so damn easy that eventually we are persuaded that it must indeed be easy. And so it is overlooked.

What is true is that Silva is in the form of his life at the age of 31. Three players in the Premier League have scored at least five goals and assisted at least five goals this season, and all three play for City; Silva is one. It is no surprise that Guardiola has got the best out of a diminutive Spanish midfielder with a wonderful ethic who thrives when making intricate short passes.

Rather than doubting the greatness of Silva because you don’t notice him, it is precisely that ability to go under the radar that makes him so special. For all the lasting legacy of Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero, it is Silva who the majority of Manchester City supporters will miss most when he has gone.

Pep: "David [Silva] is hugely competitive, everyone knows his skills, there is no doubt -- a blind guy is able to see that -- but you cannot imagine how competitive he is. He is a stylish guy, but he is an animal, always wanting to win games."

As nobody has mentioned it, what happened to Silva hand?
Was it injured in unigate derby?
Did he lump one on Lukaku?
Did he cut it on the silver foil milk top?
Did he dislocate his finger in Pegs eye?
Please! Someone put my overactive imagination to rest, so I can sleep well tonight.

You may have been forgiven to think Silva may be on the decline given his age... but I actually think this is the best he has ever played for us. Quite incredible, he is finally also adding goals to his game. Irresistibly good!

I hope he stays for many more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.