Yaya Toure - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to put my two cents in regarding what is perceived to be a lack of effort from Yaya.

There are two versions of Yaya: The young industrious Yaya, and the old "lazy" Yaya. First of all, we need to forget about the first version. The guy is 34, he can't be the effective box to box midfielder of the past. What he can be is an experienced, technically imperial maestro, and I don't use the word maestro lightly. The common sentiment I feel from this thread is that you need to defend to be a "proper" midfielder. One example that destroys this argument is Pirlo. Pirlo was never a defender. In fact, he barely moved in either direction whether its offensively or defensively, and he was arguably the best midfielder of this century. Does anyone here in his right mind question Yaya's technical ability and understanding of the game?

Now I agree entirely that Yaya can't slot in a KDB-Ferna-SIlva dynamic, his current style of play is very different. But he can definitely dictate play with minimal physical effort in his own slow style. Yes he won't play the Guardiola way, but he is at least an above average player by this league's standards if used correctly.

People also tend to underestimate what a cl winner gives to the team by simply existing. Make no mistake, this guy is more important off the field than on it.
I'm going to talk his perceived lack of effort and for starters I'd say no one will ever truly know if this is a case of physical limitations as a result of ageing or just outright sabotage by the player. Now I'm an African and usually when a footballer born in Africa says he's "x" years old, in my mind I'm thinking maybe he's actually "x+5 or more" (I'm actually being lenient adding 5 years, sometimes it's a lot more). "Football age" and "actual age" are common terms used in this part of the world basically due to poor record keeping on our part (not proud of any of these, I literally forced myself to do this post). I'm not for one moment saying Yaya is older than 34 but I think we need to have some perspective so that when we criticize him we can have a view from all the sides rather than adopt a straight jacket approach.

Sorry but shouldn’t be starting games anymore. Every time he starts we play bad and can’t find our rhythm.

Pains me to say it but Yaya is finished. He should only be brought on for maybe 20 minutes to give our other midfielders a rest but starting games let alone a quarter final whatever cup it may be, is out of the question for me.

Doesn’t have the energy to press and this effects how the whole team presses obviously. Every club knows this and exploits it.

I thought the Swansea game was a marked improvement over previous performances this season, but the bar was set so low I'm not sure that's a compliment.

I thought the Swansea game was a marked improvement over previous performances this season, but the bar was set so low I'm not sure that's a compliment.
I think all of his cameos when we were already up by a few were very good, it's just that when he starts in a team which anyway has been heavily rotated, then you can immediately sense it. Still, I think he has to start today.

Remember 2010/11 Yaya? Remember when he'd run from one box to the other knocking to the ground anyone who dared get in his way? Immediately to be followed by a 5 minute nap in the opposition penalty area? Only to be rinsed and repeated?

The good old days..
I'll never forget his naps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.