Arsenal 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone who quotes petrol money seem to conveniently forget FFP, they voted in to try to stop us!

I think this doesn't mean what you think it does. To quote a french reddit user -

It comes from a well known French expression.

"Nous en France on a pas de pétrole mais on a des idées !"

Said by our then-president during the petrol crisis of the 70s. Not sure if it translate well in English.
"We have no petrol but we have ideas" - it's a saying that means basically we have the ability but not the resources.

So when Wenger is saying we have petrol +ideas, he's we're fantastic because we have the resources and the brilliance of Pep.
He is bringing up our resources but I think the use of petrol is just from the french expression, not a comment on the source of our wealth.

Last edited:
Good job we only had two strikers when we won the title:
Aguero, Dzeko, Mario (when not suspended) and Tevez (when not playing golf) in 2012 and Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and Jovetic (when fit) in 2014.
We need that extra striker though I'll admit others seem to be contributing more in terms of goals: Raz, Sane, KDB and Spanish Dave (in recent games).
If we beat Leicester next week we've got another couple of games in January. We need to strengthen in central defence and attack.

I think it's the rest or rotation it offers for Sané and Sterling that would be key.

Good job we only had two strikers when we won the title:
Aguero, Dzeko, Mario (when not suspended) and Tevez (when not playing golf) in 2012 and Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and Jovetic (when fit) in 2014.
We need that extra striker though I'll admit others seem to be contributing more in terms of goals: Raz, Sane, KDB and Spanish Dave (in recent games).
If we beat Leicester next week we've got another couple of games in January. We need to strengthen in central defence and attack.

It's a completely false equivalence to say we had 4 strikers when we won the titles, because we always played with 2 of them, now we play with 1.

I think this doesn't mean what you think it does. To quote a french reddit user -

It comes from a well known French expression.

"Nous en France on a pas de pétrole mais on a des idées !"

Said by our then-president during the petrol crisis of the 70s. Not sure if it translate well in English.
"We have no petrol but we have ideas" - it's a saying that means basically we have the ability but not the resources.

So when Wenger is saying we have petrol +ideas, he's we're fantastic because we have the resources and the brilliance of Pep.
He is bringing up our resources but I think the use of petrol is just from the french expression, not a comment on the source of our wealth.
If he thinks he's on a par with Guardiola as that would suggest then he's both arrogant and deluded.

Just listen to Wenger press conference what a bitter man. Why don’t someone tell him that we haven’t spent any “petrol” money in the last 3 season.

Just listen to Wenger press conference what a bitter man. Why don’t someone tell him that we haven’t spent any “petrol” money in the last 3 season.

He is an absolute outrage he really is. Bitter is the word. Ever since his financial doping comment he's had his colours firmly nailed to the mast. He just can't resist having a dig can he.

The only thing Peg has ever been right about is the fact this pasty faced, walking dead, sleeping bag wearing twat is indeed a Voyeur

It's a completely false equivalence to say we had 4 strikers when we won the titles, because we always played with 2 of them, now we play with 1.

Not completely though. We have played with 2. And Guardiola’s recent comments on this matter perhaps suggest this scenario is still a possibility on his mind. How strong a possibility? One can argue on that, but that is hardly the issue here. Because no matter what, Guardiola will always be thinking twice before deciding to field both GJ and SA (weather he plays with a lone striker or not is irrelevant), for obvious reasons. No wonder Pep seemed to be avoiding such situations recently (for reasons hardly associated with Mendy’s absence). And no wonder City’s enemies are praying for injuries, they know exactly what they are talking about. We should be praying for exactly the opposite. Or decide to strengthen the team with another reliable forward, able to adapt as quickly as possible. A player combining technique, tactical flexibility, proven finishing, experience, personality (among other attributes)…

The PL is an incredibly competitive plus physically demanding league, while City’s football under Guardiola is also extremely demanding. Things have developed smoothly so far, but there is absolutely no reason to complicate the situation, test our luck etc. The manager will need options. It’s not just a case of dealing with unfortunate situations (injuries, suspensions, out of form players etc) and improving the team’s scoring ability. City are ambitious, competing in 4 fronts, we need players as fresh as possible on the pitch every 3 / 4 days. Rotation is an absolute must…

Last edited:
uGTDF3K.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.