Are the match going fans the last piece in Pep's revolution?

maybe, but at least it would allow more younger people to go. i usually sit in in east stand level 1 now and most people near me are 55 +. the only younger people i see are with there dad like me. even in ian chessmans vlogs theres like no young people at all. its a real problem that needs addressing in the league generally.
I think the only answer as far as I see is safe standing, not just for us for all teams, until that happens we are unlikely to see large groups of younger people starting going to games together, And I dont think we'll see safe standing anytime soon, hope I'm wrong on that.

People need to be more open to new ideas. Plenty moan about the atmosphere, but when people mention a drum/a capo/constant flags they're instantly shot-down as something 'League One clubs do' to quote someone in this thread. Despite the fact that's plain wrong, just see Huddersfield for example of how it can be done successfully without going full continental, we have an extremely conservative fanbase.

Just give something new a go; if it's terrible, fine, get rid. But on plenty of occasions, you have Luddites shooting down new ideas, even if they look pretty good. Remember the drum in the South Stand for that game, or those lads at the EDS games at Hyde a few years back. Both worked well, but were shot-down by people who weren't willing to give them a go, but who were quite happy to bemoan the atmosphere.

I think the only answer as far as I see is safe standing, not just for us for all teams, until that happens we are unlikely to see large groups of younger people starting going to games together, And I dont think we'll see safe standing anytime soon, hope I'm wrong on that.

hopefully mate. the problem with the standing argument for me is that we already have the entire south stand standing up and it makes no difference. i can't see it being unreserved either if it was brought in. for me we either need to follow the german model ( safe standing/cheaper tickets) or the 1894 group need to expand and grow into a larger group. having say 250+ people at the front just singing all game, people will join in. look at palace or celtic as good examples.

The atmosphere is no worse than anywhere else. This myth about every ground bouncing is bollocks, Christ, Maine Road was like being at a wake at times!!

Most of go along to watch, sing the occasional song but mainly sit and watch the fantastic football on offer, I’d guess that Guardiola is more pissed off finishing in a half empty stadium. Can’t and don’t see why people need to leave early but hey ho I can only control what I do.

Sorry but the rags have it right with away tickets. A ballot. Behind the scenes it weighted to who goes most but also gives every season ticket holder a chance.

You really want the young fans in then there has to be a way to enjoy a good away trip now and again. When your 16 to 25 years of age you look forward to away trips far more than any home game. I was lucky. My 16-25 year old period came when demand wasn’t high. I have been 50+ grounds watching us and always enjoyed the away games far more than home games.

One away game tells you more about the clubs support than 10 home games for me.

That's the issue though, the government, local authorities, and clubs don't really want large groups of youths at games, because invariably it leads to trouble, so for them they'd rather avoid 'safe standing' I'm afraid. In any case it wouldn't solve the issue because us older supporters would want the cheaper tickets too.

I'm guessing you're young ?

You do realise why we have so many 50+ year old fans ? We did f**k all for 30 odd years, and the younger ones looked at the successful clubs to support, and those younger ones we have now are largely a result of parent brainwashing. Its also worth pointing out, that without all us older supporters (and their brainwashed kids), you probably wouldn't have a club to support today.

Also visit SS3, and you might change your mind, plenty of younger ones up there, and plenty who get behind the team, old or young.

I wish, I’m in my 40s and I’m also in SS3, around me I seem to be one of the youngest in the area around me.

That's the issue though, the government, local authorities, and clubs don't really want large groups of youths at games, because invariably it leads to trouble, so for them they'd rather avoid 'safe standing' I'm afraid. In any case it wouldn't solve the issue because us older supporters would want the cheaper tickets too.

In Scotland you do seem to get a lot more teens going to games, I’m a bit of a ground hopper and you do see gangs of 18 year olds following their clubs and even for smallish clubs they do seem to have fair numbers. It’s obviously more expensive down here so maybe not a great comparison.

You can ask but people aren't going to change just because Pep asks them. We moved to 109 a couple of seasons after moving to the Etihad as it was a lot livelier than where we were. So I'm used to being in an area where there's usually a far bit of support. But I remember at Wembley for the semi-final in 2011 and being in the top tier and with just minutes to go, being told to sit down by people who didn't make a sound all game. All were older people and you aren't going to change them. That's just completely naive to believe these people are suddenly going to stand up and start singing and shouting.

So the theory is that, if you encourage younger people to attend, they are generally more uninhibited and more inclined to make a noise. Liverpool's Fan Committee got the club to set aside 1000 cheap tickets for young locals. The club were prepared to listen. These lads have probably had a few beers as well, which helps. And the more noisy people you have in one area, the more noise they're going to make. and the more they make, the greater the chance that others join in/

Do you not think that we, as fans, know what works to create an atmosphere and what doesn't better than someone who works in admin at the club & is paid to come up with ideas? The club need to talk to a representative group of fans to understand what works for them and what doesn't. Most of us don't want the atmosphere 'managed' right up to kick-off. We may not change the majority of people but we can take small but significant steps

Great post to be fair, (Prestwich Blue) my first reaction is to all the City fans just ****ing sing!! But now after years of watching fans sit there in total silence it isn't going to change, we need a designated area, cheap tickets, young lads in singing, if we can't get a cheap section of 500 vocal fans we need to start asking questions, the club has to work with the fans to improve the atmosphere...
Oh to everyone reading this just fucking sing tomorrow...thank you...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.