Highly critical article about Citys' owners

The whole article is innuendo and third party hearsay dressed up with specific claims against individual distant relations of Sheikh Mansoor. The writer claims that Sheikh is no more than a front for the UAE without a single bit of evidence to support it. He then goes on to use obvious situations 'voiced' negatively. e.g. ADUG are not investing in City for financial gain, its to promote Abu Dhabi. We know that you idiot and we don't care but you manage to make it sound as though its a business front for a crime syndicate. I have been to Abu Dhabi and stayed very close to a building project where thousands of migrant workers would stream out at the end of their shift. Did they look hounded, down trodden, shifty, afraid, desperate? Were they manacled to warders or heavily monitored as they left for their buses? No, to all of that, they looked as though they were leaving AEI in Trafford Park in the 60s; tired but happy, normal behaviour for manual and skilled workers at the end of their day. I wont argue about how offenders are treated but I know that if you do offend there is no liberal group suggesting you offended because of the way you were treated as a 5 year old. The Arab world as a whole works very much on the idea that you do the crime you take your punishment. If you don't like the rules that apply in the country and you are the type that doesn't believe rules are for them don't go there. I am in no position to argue for or against individuals who are held in the state as described by the writer but we only have their belief that its because they are a Human Rights activist. They can argue all they want that the individual is supported by Amnesty International but it wouldn't be the first time that organisation got it wrong. This makes interesting reading: -

https://www.ngo-monitor.org/books/a..._methodology_corruption_and_anti_israel_bias/

It would be naïve to suggest that any country is morally perfect but how other people run their affairs is up to them.

I'm sure a journalist in the UAE could write about human rights injustices in Russia and cite Ambramovich and a guardian of morals

The author's job is to expose abuses of human rights, particularly in the middle east. Thankfully we have a free press and I am pleased that there are people who hold these countries to account. It is good that they are. However, the link to City is a cheap trick for publicity purposes. Abu Dhabi invests in all the international markets – equities, fixed income and treasury, infrastructure, real estate, private equity and alternatives (hedge funds and commodities). In other words, if you take just one second to think of a famous public company, institution, Government or piece of real estate, the chances are that they are invested in it.

But hey, lets not bother mentioning them, let's just associate them with Manchester City.

I think the difference with City and PSG is that they're (ultimately) backed by the state of those countries. I can't think of any other clubs that have that backing. That said, lots of clubs are backed by companies who aren't squeaky clean.
Real Madrid?

Why do these articles always talk about City? Almost all of the big clubs take money from the Emirates in one form or another.

To be fair, towards the end of the article he says other top clubs are also taking money from the emirates "Manchester City are currently the favourites followed by Paris Saint-Germain. Third favourites are Bayern Munich, whose shirts are now sponsored by Qatar, fourth favourites are Barcelona, who only recently ended a seven-year sponsorship deal with Qatar, and fifth favourites are Real Madrid, who have sold the naming rights to their new stadium to Abu Dhabi."

The way we're playing at moment is bound to attract more attention on the club and whilst there's plenty of people wanting to heap praise on us at the moment, it's understandable that people might want to talk about the issues mentioned in the article. I'm having a great time watching us this season but it does require me to ignore a few uncomfortable truths about the people running the club.

A lot of our fans get very angry about articles like this. Personally I think it's something we're going to have to accept as what's going on around City, whether we like it or not, is part of something much bigger than football and it's a story that deserves to be told. It does however grind my gears when fans of other clubs, who normally don't have an opinion on human rights abuses and inequality throughout the world, suddenly develop a social conscience when it comes to finding an excuse to slag us off. In reality, the vast majority of people in this country benefit from and are complicit in all kinds of messed up stuff going on around the world and do nothing to try and change that, so unless a person can honestly say their own choices consumer habits are perfect, then it just smacks of hypocrisy when it's fans of other clubs talking about it.

It doesn't make great reading but we've known all along who our owners are and the reasons behind their ownership

As football fans we turn a blind eye to it, as do the millions of visitors to the UAE every year

There will be many comments in this thread justifying it with whataboutery etc

The uncomfortable truth is that we wouldn't want to change a thing about who and how they run our club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.