Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's played exactly like this since we signed him, but it's just that some of us didn't notice.

BOLLOCKS

He's been fantastic in many games this season & one example of the many differences, which made me smile last week v Tottenham, (because it's an actual situation I used as an example of consistently poor judgement over the last seasons), was: long aerial ball up to Harry Kane near halfway line, (Kane had won several) . Last season's dog with balloon Otamendi, charges at Kane again, either knocks him over for a free kick in frustration at being unable to beat him or takes himself out of game trying, as Kane flicks ball over his head, & Alli takes up the space behind.

This season's Otamendi, takes a few paces, Kane feels him coming to challenge, Otamendi fucks off back into the defensive line & lets Kane have the ball. City's midfield converge on Kane. Problem over.

Pure Kompany/Lescott method for similar situations, which we have been fucking up, for years, since they split up.

Also yesterday, faced with superior pace 1v1, only went to ground & had to be rescued on one occasion, as far as I remember. (Used to be his main way of dealing with it)
Rest of the time, stood up, made the attacker work for an opportunity, whilst help arrived, much smarter.

Passing, really great. Feining injury & diving (relying on dodgy refs to bale him out rather than doing it himself) minmal, almost gone from his game.

Just a vastly better cb & playing huge part in this run. Brilliant turn around which I couldn't see happening after several seasons of brain farts.

Well done to him.

He's played exactly like this since we signed him, but it's just that some of us didn't notice.

BOLLOCKS

He's been fantastic in many games this season & one example of the many differences, which made me smile last week v Tottenham, (because it's an actual situation I used as an example of consistently poor judgement over the last seasons), was: long aerial ball up to Harry Kane near halfway line, (Kane had won several) . Last season's dog with balloon Otamendi, charges at Kane again, either knocks him over for a free kick in frustration at being unable to beat him or takes himself out of game trying, as Kane flicks ball over his head, & Alli takes up the space behind.

This season's Otamendi, takes a few paces, Kane feels him coming to challenge, Otamendi fucks off back into the defensive line & lets Kane have the ball. City's midfield converge on Kane. Problem over.

Pure Kompany/Lescott method for similar situations, which we have been fucking up, for years, since they split up.

Also yesterday, faced with superior pace 1v1, only went to ground & had to be rescued on one occasion, as far as I remember. (Used to be his main way of dealing with it)
Rest of the time, stood up, made the attacker work for an opportunity, whilst help arrived, much smarter.

Passing, really great. Feining injury & diving (relying on dodgy refs to bale him out rather than doing it himself) minmal, almost gone from his game.

Just a vastly better cb & playing huge part in this run. Brilliant turn around which I couldn't see happening after several seasons of brain farts.

Well done to him.

Exactly. Criticisms of him in the past were well justified just as the praise he's receiving this season is very well justified. I dunno if it's Pep, him pulling his finger out or a combination of the two but he's really turned the corner this season and long may it continue.

I was never a fan of his but this season he's well and truly won me over. I read the pundits teams of the season on BBC and it lets you select your own. To have Otamendi in your team wasn't even an option!?

BOLLOCKS

Well done to him.

Indeed. Well said.

BOLLOCKS

Well done to him.
Lol. Ok mate. You are right. He was shit before but now he is good.

And as usual, you have the single situation evidence to prove it ;)

His first season, the last one under Pellegrini, i don't blame any players playing badly really (in hindsight). The team was a bit of a mess, lacking motivation, coaching etc, just getting by on talent and moments of quality.

Last season, you could see he was working on his game, but till struggled often when exposed (our press wasn't as co-ordinated, slow full-backs, Bravo giving everyone the jitters etc), making rash decisions and over-committing at times.

Now everything's come together with the team, and you see what all our individuals are capable of. He's been fantastic, full of confidence and a key player.

Lol. Ok mate. You are right. He was shit before but now he is good.

And as usual, you have the single situation evidence to prove it ;)

As Guardiola said a couple of months back, Otamendi is "a guy who wants to learn", his performances this season are testament to that.

I didnt think he'd be here too long to be honest,i just didnt think he would cut it.

Fair fucks though,the lad has listened to instruction and he has improved tremendously.He still makes the odd gaff but his contribution to our lofty status shouldnt be underestimated.Great news about the extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.