Why the best of City is bringing out the worst in the Premier League

Thanks Stephen. You hooked me with the first sentence and the reference to the great minds of football (and David Moyes) lol.

The Premier League is a very wealthy league, and the distributions to the clubs make it a cash cow for the participants. This is a double edged sword because it leads to desperation for those fighting to remain in the top tier. The ultra conservative Huddersfield approach is appalling to watch, and in my opinion very damaging to 'the product' of the league, yet its currently deemed to be the only way to play against City. Is this necessarily the only way to play City?

Teams like Shakhtar and Napoli have nowhere near the budgets of a lower level premier league team, yet both those teams competed very effectively with City. When I looked at the lineups of those two teams they looked like cobbled together teams with a mixture of football journeyman from far and wide, and a small number of quality players. So how did they manage to compete so effectively? Both teams pressured City on the ball and were encouraged to do so by adventurous coaching. Credit to both of the managers for having a go. As Stephen succinctly said we are witnessing a cornucopia of cowardice by the English managers. It's the easy way out. Rather than try and actually coach like the Napoli or Shakhtar managers, they hide behind the easy way out.

To me Shakhtar and Napoli demonstrate that a tactically astute manager can definitely present a genuine challenge to City. The best City games I have seen this season have been against Napoli. So called Sarri ball made for brilliant football.

Unfortunately the Sarris (or Peps) are in short supply. My only hope is that clubs look at how City and Napoli play the game, and attempt to copy that model, rather than retreat into the cowards castle.

Coaches will not copy the likes of us or Napoli as they don't have the players with the skill and rather than coach them it is far easier to shut up shop.

great article , especially highlighting, the disgraceful pogba comments and danny murphys dark sided advice on how to stop city, i actually dont mind if a team turns up and parks the bus, its after all their choice on how to go about getting a result, ugly as it is,its perfectly within the laws of the game, but the recent attempts to hack the legs off certain city players is what gets my back up, and for murphy to actually ask why teams are not doing that on MOTD was a disgrace . i absolutely love the way city are getting under skin of everyone and long may it continue, city are magnificent right now and the original "sky 4" are squirming like slugs covered in salt. i love it

I get panned every time I mentioned 60minutes 'stop clock matches' and 'reverse offside' (where the defending team cannot have two players deeper than the edge of the centre circle) - yet the only way to stop anti football of the sort we saw from Wagner and Benitez and the time wasting after just 20seconds of Burnley are rule changes.

They got rid of the back pass because it was killing football - they brought in offside to stop goal hanging.

It's time to introduce a stop clock to make sure those paying £50-60 quid actually get an hour of football. And bringing in "reverse offside" (or whatever it gets called) would open up the pitch BOTH ways for BOTH teams.

Winning this league won't take any shine off the achievement though!

Great Article too - shame it's for thhose shysters at Unibet (they banned me for winning).

We are the medias worse nightmare, I have been saying for years that the premier is all razzmatazz and about the money.that is why they wanted Pep to fail as it holds up all the myths of the premier being the hardest league. Just watch home many so called international give the ball away because of the speed of the English game, Since Pep came look at how many teams try to split their defenders and try and play from the back.

If things carry on like this I see a bonus point system being introduced as with rugby. The football we watch is turgid due to the set up of other teams. The sooner teams are able to be credited points for a scoring despite a loss the better. That may then open things up.
lol

Great article. I have been fuming about the "dead football" antics of these teams for weeks. Disgusting. And the officials are not doing enough to protect our players. What's it going to take for one of these these hackers to get sent from the field of play?

Still, Woy has promised his Palace team will attack tomorrow. We shall see.

Last edited:
Not just against us. Stoke's line up against Chelsea today was criminal. Unfortunately the players Hughesless brought in for the rested players couldn't defend to save their lives.
As an asside - glad to see Brighton get a point at Newcastle. Shame they didn't get three.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.