Burnley (h) FA Cup 3rd Round pre-match thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This becomes the lowest priority now that we're 2 games away from the league cup final. Play an entirely changed lineup from last night. If we go through, great the kids get another game if not, we get valuable resting time further down the line.

Now that there's an established top 6 the FA cup does seem to have more value as it's an easy way for teams/managers to justify their season, hence Wenger pretty much prioritising winning it over anything else over the last few years. That also means it's much harder to win than it was 5-10 years ago though. I want us to win every competition we're in but it's almost impossible and therefore sacrificing this cup early on will prove beneficial further along in the season.

Can you imagine the fixture pile up we'll have in April/May if we were to carry on progressing in all competitions? There's a definitive deadline for the season to end with the world cup this summer too so no extension meaning we could very realistically end up playing 4 big games a week for 2/3 weeks straight,

We'll get knocked out of this if we don't play a decent team, which is why I think we will play one.

Bristol City might be a semi but it's the 4th most important competition, against Championship opposition, with the fall back of the 2nd leg.

Personally think we'll play a stronger team in both games though than we played at Leicester.

Comments about sacrificing the FA Cup game altogether arent the brightest of remarks. We going to do that anytime we make a League Cup semi then despite it being an inferior competition?

The FA Cup game vs Burnley is a 54k sell out. We'll be lucky to get 40k vs Bristol City in that league cup semi and didn't even sell out the Everton semi a couple of years ago. Tells you all you need to know.

Play a strong side. The League Cup is two legs. Bristol won't be quite so strong or confident over two legs. A decent mix should put us out of sight in that.

Burnley.

Ederson
Danilo
Stones
Mangala
Delph

Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Bernardo

Sterling
Aguero
Sané

Bristol.

Bravo
Danilo
Otamendi
Tosin
Zinchenko

YaYa
Gundogan
D Silva

Diaz
Bernardo
Aguero

We could see a false 9 at Liverpool.

We have a great chance at the treble & possibly CL this year with the way we are playing. Don’t throw it away by fielding a junior/inexperienced side. Give Burnley & the FA Cup some respect. If the big guns can get it sown up by half time, then rest them. I never thought I would see it in my lifetime.

Strongest side possible for both Cup games. Get to the final and through in the FA Cup. I would take that over a Liverpool win. We can afford a loss / draw in PL and who is to say we would not win that game. Nobody can guarentee CL especially if we are used to playing in 2/3rd gear most games be tough to pick it up when required. From this position if we only the PL it will feel a little flat as we are all think PL is ours already which it is.

Play a strong side. The League Cup is two legs. Bristol won't be quite so strong or confident over two legs. A decent mix should put us out of sight in that.

Burnley.

Ederson
Danilo
Stones
Mangala
Delph

Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Bernardo

Sterling
Aguero
Sané

Bristol.

Bravo
Danilo
Otamendi
Tosin
Zinchenko

YaYa
Gundogan
D Silva

Diaz
Bernardo
Aguero

We could see a false 9 at Liverpool.

Think it's more likely we see Aguero on the bench or not in the squad in one of the next two games rather than starting both and playing a false nine against the best opposition of the three...

bravo
danilo
stones
otter
Zinchenko
ferdy
gundongan
Kev
benardo
sterling
Aguero

Don't think we have the option to rest some, Burnley won't so if we want to win we wil have to play a strong team, try and go a few up then take them off

I think Burnley would be better served concentrating on the League. I don't know why their manager would think differently.

Looking forward to this. I'm in the dead posh seats. Anyone know, is a dinner jacket necessary, or will a three-piece suit do?
If you mean Tunnel Club mate, I went in jeans and a jacket. If i’ve just taken the bait then enjoy feller. Food is ace!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.