Burnley (h) FA Cup 3rd Round pre-match thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If our reserves and youngsters can be trusted to hold off Leicester's stongest team for the last 50 minutes at the King Power then why not go with them again against Burnley at home.

If they do well then play them again against Bristol. The understanding between them all will be improving with each game. Plus they have far more left in the tank than our first team players.

If our reserves and youngsters can be trusted to hold off Leicester's stongest team for the last 50 minutes at the King Power then why not go with them again against Burnley at home.

If they do well then play them again against Bristol. The understanding between them all will be improving with each game. Plus they have far more left in the tank than our first team players.

I agree almost entierly but just one slight change for reserves i would say excellent squad players, Gundagon, Bernado, Yaya , Danillo , Mangala, Kompany can't be classed as reserves they are top quality players and that's why we did so well at Leicester and that's why we should go again in FA Cup and possibly Tuesday too.

I think Burnley would be better served concentrating on the League. I don't know why their manager would think differently.
Yep, holding onto seventh as opposed to dropping to tenth or eleventh would make them more money than a run to the FA cup quarters or semis and would get them into the Europa if a top 6 side win the FA cup (happened 6 times in the last 7 years).

Think it's more likely we see Aguero on the bench or not in the squad in one of the next two games rather than starting both and playing a false nine against the best opposition of the three...

He's regularlly dropped Aguero for the hardest games. A false 9 vs Liverpool would give them even less chance to counter attack.

The next two games are arguably more important than Liverpool in everything other than ego. Lose to Liverpool, we're still likely 12 points clear with 15 games to go. We have a big cushion in the league. We don't in knock out games. Strong against Bristol should give us a week off effectively. Beat Burnley, hopefully we get an easy draw and a bit of a rest.
We should either try and beat Burnley with a strong almost full squad, or play full reserves. A mix is pointless and may even lead to a replay, which I litterally don't think we could play.

62 points out of 66 is simply magnificent.
I would play kids in FA cup and focus completely on league and CL.
We should make statement by breaking as many league recods as we can.
We have too many injures right now to go after every single trophy.

Last edited:
This becomes the lowest priority now that we're 2 games away from the league cup final. Play an entirely changed lineup from last night. If we go through, great the kids get another game if not, we get valuable resting time further down the line.

Now that there's an established top 6 the FA cup does seem to have more value as it's an easy way for teams/managers to justify their season, hence Wenger pretty much prioritising winning it over anything else over the last few years. That also means it's much harder to win than it was 5-10 years ago though. I want us to win every competition we're in but it's almost impossible and therefore sacrificing this cup early on will prove beneficial further along in the season.

Can you imagine the fixture pile up we'll have in April/May if we were to carry on progressing in all competitions? There's a definitive deadline for the season to end with the world cup this summer too so no extension meaning we could very realistically end up playing 4 big games a week for 2/3 weeks straight,
If we continue like we have only competition we'll have in April/May would be CL and FA Cup.

Play a strong side. The League Cup is two legs. Bristol won't be quite so strong or confident over two legs. A decent mix should put us out of sight in that.

Burnley.

Ederson
Danilo
Stones
Mangala
Delph

Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Bernardo

Sterling
Aguero
Sané

Bristol.

Bravo
Danilo
Otamendi
Tosin
Zinchenko

YaYa
Gundogan
D Silva

Diaz
Bernardo
Aguero

We could see a false 9 at Liverpool.

Agreed.
Strong team vs Burnley. Why not Bravo? Any indication from Pep?
Rotation vs Bristol, 2-0 would be perfect.
5 days then till Liverpool.

Some on here shouldn't forget it's not only about LINE UP but also HOW we gonna play.
Last night vs Watford was a good example of clever game management at quite a low intensity.
So a strong starting XI could also mean, kill the game early and control it home safe.

Arguably Liverpool is the game with the least riding on it.

We could lose even with our best team on the day and even if we do lose we are still way ahead and one match in a title winning triumph will not be remembered in years to come.

Win a Wembley final and that is remembered forever.

So you could make a case that Bristol City, Burnley and Liverpool are the order of priority of the importance of the matches.

I have to agree with all of this.

Plus this is enough of a gap between the BC and Pool games for our players to rest.

I would maybe argue that Burnley, BC, Pool is the order as Burnley is only one match and we don’t want to go out or have to replay it.

Our lead in the league is really something and the advantage we have needs to be used. Even without our first 11 I think we would cause Liverpool a lot of problems. Any club can also lose there so we should really be prioritizing the cup games IMO.

Agreed.

Some on here shouldn't forget it's not only about LINE UP but also HOW we gonna play.
Last night vs Watford was a good example of clever game management at quite a low intensity.
So a strong starting XI could also mean, kill the game early and control it home safe.

2-0 would be good,4-0 would be better, then the second leg's a formality. Aston Villa (FFS) put five past them last week. Bristol are exactly the kind of side who will tire as better teams have tired in the last 20 minutes after being passed to death, so i expect a big win and by then we'll be awaiting Derby at home in the next round of the Cup.

Agreed.

Just picked Ederson based on his larger physique and sweeping ability to counteract their main hoof stregnths.

I have no issue at all with Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.