Burnley (h) FA Cup 3rd Round pre-match thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is I think Burnley will field a far stronger team than Leicester did. By the end, Leicester clearly had a top side out and the boys were Herculean in their fight to the end, but are we going to just put out kids for every Cup game and hope they can get through on penalties every time???

I realize the Prem and the CL are the primary targets here, but SILVERWARE in the cabinet is what they also want, because Pep is going to be graded (by others in the world) by pots, not the quality of football he is producing and simply advancing the Project. The League Cup is the best first opportunity to secure silverware and put that BS to bed. Thereafter, maintaining a significant margin in the PL enables Pep to provide greater strategic rotation as the season enters the final weeks and months.

In a perfect world, our best first team would be good enough to win the PL & CL, and the kids could step in for the EFL & FA Cups, but I think we are in a less than ideal situation with the ability to rotate. Pep likes a smaller squad, because it keeps quality very high and everyone happy, while allowing the kids to slot in every now and then. So far, so good. However, it is key injuries that throw the wrench in that system.

Here’s hoping we can find the right balance, but I don’t think we need to do it just yet. When the CL shows back up, I agree. Until then, best available team, based on the science behind the scenes on player fatigue levels and fitness.

The future is BLUE!!

It's a tricky one with a small squad. I don't think Pep will be judged too much on League cups and Fa cups as long as he wins the big ones. If he doesn't, as Maureen found out last year, winning trophies still keeps you in the good books.

Personally though I thought our season 15/16 was relatively poor despite winning the league cup. I enjoyed watching the youngsters in the last round of the LC.

Expectations are a bit higher now.

I think he can juggle nicely in both games but the players who have played 4 games in 10 days shouldn't play in this one. Rest is needed for De Bruyne/Walker/Otamendi/Fernandinho and I would also rest Aguero unless we are signing someone.

All the players have had a long 4 days rest should be fine to go full strength.
It's about cumulative wear and tear. Sometimes you just need rest players or their performance and execution will drop.

For example, Kevin's long killer pass has been off the last 4 games. I'm sure thTs the erosion from wear ant tear.

Get guys fresh. We've got 5 months to go.

WHY are people worrying about Anfield that’s two games away? Play a strongish team in this one, rest in the Bristol game then strong at Anfield. Sure Pep will think the same game by game and he certainly won’t put out an academy side.
Spot on

who knows with Pep but wouldn't be surprised to see a team like this
Bravo
Zinchenko Mangala Stones Danilo
Bernardo YaYA Gundo
Sane Raz Diaz

subs Eddie, Delph, Ota, Nmecha, Bashiru, Duhaney, Sergio

Because we are not greedy people and we like to share things around and it is in our best interests. We have a great chance to win two domestic trophies this year and that should focus our minds. I will also let you into a little secret i.e. we have a great chance winning the CL this year. Imagine that. On its day I believe this team can beat anybody. But the FA Cup is a bridge way to far and infact may torpedo our chances elsewhere. Give the kids a shout and if they give Burnley a good seeing to so much the better.

Share what around? The cups? I just don't get it. This team is performing at an unprecedented level, but it needs to win multiple trophies to show for it. It's usually hard for teams to go for things on all fronts but our league cushion is allowing us to have a go at it. By the time the champions league is seriously down to business the league should be all but won so I'm sure it will be prioritised in due course.

My argument here is with those who think the Liverpool game is the more important fixture. I'm not disagreeing some players need a rest, I'm just saying we should look at resting them in games that have less impact on what can be achieved this season. Losing to Liverpool wouldnt be as bad as losing to Burnley. If the league is won in March we can just focus on the FA cup on Champions league games without it being much of a stretch.

do expect a 2nd string lineup which will be dangerous as burnley will play a strong team I imagine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.