Kompany calls on Premier League clubs to drop ticket prices

Good post mate.

We cannot deny the glory hunting JCLs, many of them will get the bug and turn into real blues who decide to stay and bond a proper affinity with the club. Many will be just be day trippers who may or may not come back, this is the nature of the beast, and it seems to many of us that these types are welcomed to the club more than blues who are being squeezed out through lack of points and price hikes, or those that have simply lost connection to the club for a variety of other reasons.

Until fairly recently, I would get emails from the club on the 'match day experience'. All it was basically is to determine how deep or shallow my pockets were. Do I visit the club shop each game? Do I use the car parking? Do I use the catering facilities etc etc.
The answer is no I don't. I go in a couple of pubs 10 minutes walk from the stadium, buy a pint or two of reasonably priced decent beer and can eat free tater hash hot dogs and ham sarnies. Also free street parking. I spend almost nothing in the stadium, maybe a pie and a pint now and again, but I begrudge feeling ripped off by over £8 for an average pie and a pint of pissy flat beer. This is not what the club want, they do not want my type who spend very little.

Eventually, when I've seen us win a few more trophies, I'll probably throw the towel in after going to games since 1970, disillusioned on how unsatisfying the 'match day experience' has personally become for me.

I feel as though the club take us loyal supporters for granted, and many have already left the scene.

The club need to listen to real supporters and address the problem of losing them year on year before it's too late. Cheaper tickets, reasonable food and drink prices and addressing the atmosphere problem would be a start.

The football we play is fantastic, the best I've ever seen. This is all the match day experience I need to keep me attending games, but for many former match attending blues, they can watch most games from the comfort of the pub or their living room nowadays, and unless the club are prepared to listen and act on it, these blues will not return .

Good post mate.

We cannot deny the glory hunting JCLs, many of them will get the bug and turn into real blues who decide to stay and bond a proper affinity with the club. Many will be just be day trippers who may or may not come back, this is the nature of the beast, and it seems to many of us that these types are welcomed to the club more than blues who are being squeezed out through lack of points and price hikes, or those that have simply lost connection to the club for a variety of other reasons.

Until fairly recently, I would get emails from the club on the 'match day experience'. All it was basically is to determine how deep or shallow my pockets were. Do I visit the club shop each game? Do I use the car parking? Do I use the catering facilities etc etc.
The answer is no I don't. I go in a couple of pubs 10 minutes walk from the stadium, buy a pint or two of reasonably priced decent beer and can eat free tater hash hot dogs and ham sarnies. Also free street parking. I spend almost nothing in the stadium, maybe a pie and a pint now and again, but I begrudge feeling ripped off by over £8 for an average pie and a pint of pissy flat beer. This is not what the club want, they do not want my type who spend very little.

Eventually, when I've seen us win a few more trophies, I'll probably throw the towel in after going to games since 1970, disillusioned on how unsatisfying the 'match day experience' has personally become for me.

I feel as though the club take us loyal supporters for granted, and many have already left the scene.

The club need to listen to real supporters and address the problem of losing them year on year before it's too late. Cheaper tickets, reasonable food and drink prices and addressing the atmosphere problem would be a start.

The football we play is fantastic, the best I've ever seen. This is all the match day experience I need to keep me attending games, but for many former match attending blues, they can watch most games from the comfort of the pub or their living room nowadays, and unless the club are prepared to listen and act on it, these blues will not return .

Excellent post also.

Hate to admit but rags I know told me all this would happen back in 2008. I was swept along and still am but I have on occasion considered jacking it in. That in itself concerns me as never thought I would.

City do a lot more than people think for the "future generation" - just look at the size of the family stand. The only gap is significant reduction for specific age group post child 18/25 etc. But ultimately It isn't just football. Concert tickets that used to be 15 quid 25 years ago are now 100, same for theatre/boxing/darts etc etc tickets - and inflation hasn't been 600+ percent in that time. Unfortunately leisure activities in most areas have gone up significantly and I can't see why they clubs would consider reducing prices by much no matter the logic. For what it is worth I think the away fan price reduction affects both positively and negatively. Negative because at such a cheap price the "agencies" can grab tickets and sell at an inflated price at less of a risk of loss if they don't sell. If an away ticket was 60 rather than 30 there would probably be less sold at inflated prices because tickets would be harder to come by and they wouldn't buy to speculate as much as a result

Feel like I cared a lot more about "better catering etc." when we were scrapping around for 4th under Pelle. Football on the pitch is what matters and I can't really fathom anyone seriously considering giving up now, it's ludicrous, especially for the majority of reasons given. You've sat in that ground and Maine Road with far worse facilities and service and taken it with far worse football. People are just getting increasingly lazy and won't be happy till City start playing home games in their back garden.

It wouldn't be aimed at you though. I might be wrong but, Based on what you have said, it sounds like you can afford to go. It would be for the thousands of city fans/locals who have been priced out and the younger people who you barely see at the ground (18-25). There are loads of city who have been priced out and stopped going. I just don't buy that we'd have thousands of empty seats with cheaper tickets. Even if we did atleast football would be more affordable and It would give everyone a chance to go again.

• Cheaper tickets - makes football affordable again and gives thousands of people especially working class people a chance to go again vs we'd get some empty seats and people might not attend. It's not even in contest. The positives from cheaper tickets outweigh any negative

I agree on your second point. It can be a night mare trying to park around. The Etihad.

We would have to expand the stadium for that and just make the whole stand available to non season ticket holders at say £20 for adults and £5 for kids. That would help.

There would still be thousands of empty seats where the season ticket holders are though. That bit wouldn't change.

Because if the tickets were £20 for every game then they’d be even more non attendees. The problem hasn’t been selling out, it’s bee making sure people actually attend the matches they have a ticket for.

Surprised you found it difficult to follow.
That doesn’t represent the thousands of fans who’d go to every single game if they could afford to

Look at Wolves at home this season. £10 for adults, £1 for kids = full house

Look at the attendance the other night when tickets were four-to-five times more

The club has always taken loyal supporters for granted, and people have always fallen away as they get older or their priorities change.
Priorities may not have to change so much if tickets were £30 for every fan for every game.

That doesn’t represent the thousands of fans who’d go to every single game if they could afford to

Look at Wolves at home this season. £10 for adults, £1 for kids = full house

Look at the attendance the other night when tickets were four-to-five times more

Still sold out. Empty seats are just ST who don't go. That's the problem and I agree that cheaper seats for ST holders would make the problem worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.