Benjamin Mendy (Back In Training)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, I think Mendy has the potential to become the top left wing back of all time. Just looking at his play at Monaco, it was easy to see he has all the attributes of the likes of Maldini, Lahm, Lizarazu & Frank de Boer and even a touch of Roberto Carlos. He has incredible speed, strength, vision, close control, touch and awareness and once Pep has really gotten his hands on him and a run of games in this current side, he will be mind blowing. Him on the Left and Kyle on the right will be like a never ending tsunami of speed and crosses coming at the opposition.
I remember the game in the CL last season they played against Tottenham in Monaco. He ripped Spurs a new butt single handedly and they could do absolutely nothing to stop him.
I also think he could be the ideal long term captain in a few years time. Because of his general attitude to life, given a bit of maturity, he is a Kompany in waiting.

ACL injuries are so tough because the recovery is psychologically and physically demanding. It's a very long and difficult road. Some athletes are just freaks and are able to come back from an ACL tear relatively quickly. For most, however, it's more of an 18-24 month injury even though you can return to normal activity in 9-12. It just seems to take a while to be able to return to top physical ability and to fully trust your body again. Mendy is young and seems to have the right attitude so here's to hoping it's the former.

In the past tearing an ACL was so feared because it made it significantly (I think somewhere around 5-10x) more likely it would re-tear again in the future. I believe those odds have gotten better recently, but it is still an injury that has a nasty habit of reoccurring. I wonder if Mendy will have to wear a brace like this for the rest of his playing days. Many NFL and basketball players coming off the injury wear them during games/practice after returning, but I haven't seen them in European football (although that could just be ignorance on my end)

Reckon he will be back by end of April. Important for him to get some matches as it's WC year and important for us if we are still in the CL and FA Cup.

We need to get another LB on loan till the end of season. Delphinho has been immense this season but there is too much risk in playing him week in and week out. Danilo isn't a left back, neither is Zinchenko. Even someone from the championship as a cover for Delph would be good enough for 8-10 games if he's a pure left-back and not some versatile player who can play in 5 positions but is poor at all of them.

ACL injuries are so tough because the recovery is psychologically and physically demanding. It's a very long and difficult road. Some athletes are just freaks and are able to come back from an ACL tear relatively quickly. For most, however, it's more of an 18-24 month injury even though you can return to normal activity in 9-12. It just seems to take a while to be able to return to top physical ability and to fully trust your body again. Mendy is young and seems to have the right attitude so here's to hoping it's the former.

In the past tearing an ACL was so feared because it made it significantly (I think somewhere around 5-10x) more likely it would re-tear again in the future. I believe those odds have gotten better recently, but it is still an injury that has a nasty habit of reoccurring. I wonder if Mendy will have to wear a brace like this for the rest of his playing days. Many NFL and basketball players coming off the injury wear them during games/practice after returning, but I haven't seen them in European football (although that could just be ignorance on my end)

Having had an acl tear myself I did lots of research on what's referred to as the "gold standard" surgical repair. This changes over time as they've refined techniques but I believe most grafts these days if they take and heal properly, create a much stronger ligament than the original tissue making it less likely to tear again. I think the key is the acute stage and mid term recovery injury management by the physios. Athletes have a much quicker response time than us mere mortals.You're right about the psychological aspect of the injury.
I expect him to be out all season to be fair as 9 months takes us to June which is when I suspect he'll be approaching match fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.