Speakers Corner in London

Anyone ever been to this?

I was there for an hour a few weeks ago and witnessed:

*Hardcore anti feminists
*Intense argument over race involving white middle aged man and young black guy that had to be broke up by police
*American in cowboy hat giving Evangelical type sermon
*Old guy who just sang hymns
*Gang of posh college types going on about God knows what
*Black people with display about slavery
*Several Muslims
The life of Brian

We had one in Platt Fields near the old training ground. I was only a kid at the time but I am sure I listened to Jomo Kenyatta there.
Just had a quick look at his biography and I must have been badly mistaken, I do not know who it was now. Young Peter Swales perhaps. :-)

Last edited:
Once saw a man dressed like Alfred, Lord Tennyson debate with a rasta as to the contribution to the English language of The Lady of Shallotte and A Hard Rains Gonna Fall.
Mesmerising.

My dad regularly spoke at Speakers Corner outside Central Library. This was in the early eighties. He was an evangelist. He occasionally debated with James H Reeve on his late Piccadilly Radio show too.

One of the things that makes our country so unique and cultural.
Di they have many speakers corners in the US or other European countries?

never mind speakers corner try getting on the metro/tram after 6pm they will find you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.