VAR (PL introduction 2019)

nothing to do with prices and recession then?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...league-fans-off-football-20171216-h05xh8.html

Going round in circles here but its clearly not popular in the A league, Bundasliga and Serie A.

Fair enough if you want to see it trialled, just from what ive seen its makes football much less entertaining and its gonna cause a lot of mayhem. Thought it was shite in the confederations cup and nothing ive seen since has changed my mind,

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...league-fans-off-football-20171216-h05xh8.html

Going round in circles here but its clearly not popular in the A league, Bundasliga and Serie A.

Fair enough if you want to see it trialled, just from what ive seen its makes football much less entertaining and its gonna cause a lot of mayhem. Thought it was shite in the confederations cup and nothing ive seen since has changed my mind,

so your defending these tackles

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-17/var-killing-football-for-fans-says-incensed-okon/9266350

the first one is a career ending type stuff.

Would you be happy with one of our players on the end of these?
How can a manager defend these tackles and claim them to be yellows he needs sacking if you ask me the fans deserve better.

You're just proving VAR works now and you still haven't provided any credible counter article

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-17/var-killing-football-for-fans-says-incensed-okon/9266350

How can a manager defend these tackles and claim them to be yellows he needs sacking if you ask me the fans deserve better.

You're just proving VAR works now and you still haven't provided any credible counter article

You've still not answered the point about what happens if a goal is scored and there is a foul 5 minutes before in the build up. Do you want the play to be brought back? Also every single incident affects the outcome of a game so to obtain “justice” you need to check EVERY tackle, free kick, pen, hand ball, corner/GK and throw in? How do you know which one(s) will be crucial? Why single some out?

And you can disagree all you want but it does ruin the flow of the game. Theres been matches ive watched in Serie a this season where the game has stopped four or five minutes to review a debatable penalty decision. Not all decisions are black and white.

All you have to do is go on twitter and type in VAR during a Serie A or Bundasliga match to see what fans think of it. Don't watch the Portuguese league or A-League but Ive not heard many people say good things about it there either. Seems to be a pattern emerging here......

Last edited:
There has to be a balance between continuously reviewing every refereeing decision/non-decision and keeping the game flowing. Some degree of human error is part and parcel of the game so, if we could just cut out the extremes, that would represent real progress. For that reason I favour the “one or two challenges” idea.

Serious stuff that’s picked up on camera, but not challenged, can be dealt with retrospectively. But, again, only within reason. Not every fcukin kick of the ball.

It’s not perfect but what is? While we need some improvement, football is entertainment, not a game for robots.

Last edited:

Not sure what planet you are on. How does that link support VAR. The bad 'career ending' tackle still happened despite VAR and the second one is a dubious red. If VAR is meant to pick up on obvious mistakes then it has been wrongly used here, especially the second foul. VAR is just another way for media companies and refs to manipulate games. They will chose what to review and what not to review...

Even if the VAR system does allow more control by Sky etc. as long as we have the benefit of seeing why a second evaluation of an incident was necessary and why that conclusion was arrived at surely it is beneficial ?
Let bias prevail as well as commercial reasoning by those who decide its findings but if they have to show us via that video why they reached their considered opinion then maybe I could be convinced that fairness occurs.

I fear that it will just be decision rather than a display of why the decision was made that will be the result.

For VAR to work it will require complete honesty from all the officials in so much of holding hands up in real time and saying yes, i've made a mistake there and will change my decision.

Sadly i dont think we will get that and instead it will be used to try and vindicate their mistakes if you want to be so kind as to call them mistakes in the first place and rather than help the game it will actually make things worse.

Hopefully i'm wrong but i'm sorry, i have zero faith in PiGMOL.

You've still not answered the point about what happens if a goal is scored and there is a foul 5 minutes before in the build up. Do you want the play to be brought back? Also every single incident affects the outcome of a game so to obtain “justice” you need to check EVERY tackle, free kick, pen, hand ball, corner/GK and throw in? How do you know which one(s) will be crucial? Why single some out?

And you can disagree all you want but it does ruin the flow of the game. Theres been matches ive watched in Serie a this season where the game has stopped four or five minutes to review a debatable penalty decision. Not all decisions are black and white.

All you have to do is go on twitter and type in VAR during a Serie A or Bundasliga match to see what fans think of it. Don't watch the Portuguese league or A-League but Ive not heard many people say good things about it there either. Seems to be a pattern emerging here......

That can't happen. It can only be brought back if the foul is in the 'same phase of play'. I think anyone would be hard pushed to justify that 5 minutes is in the same phase of play

For VAR to work it will require complete honesty from all the officials in so much of holding hands up in real time and saying yes, i've made a mistake there and will change my decision.

Sadly i dont think we will get that and instead it will be used to try and vindicate their mistakes if you want to be so kind as to call them mistakes in the first place and rather than help the game it will actually make things worse.

Hopefully i'm wrong but i'm sorry, i have zero faith in PiGMOL.
This.
That can't happen. It can only be brought back if the foul is in the 'same phase of play'. I think anyone would be hard pushed to justify that 5 minutes is in the same phase of play
And this.
@greasedupdeafguy you are splitting hairs here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.