Yaya Toure - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't diss him but he did leave the holes they kept getting through,we have to send the big guns to brizzle now,hope he doesn't go
Remember back to Pellers tenure, particularly games in the champions league when was paired in central midfield with Fern. Nobody would have dreamt of playing him as a single holding midfield player then. Yaya's defensive capabilities have been a long term issue.

There probably won't be a lot left to see of Yaya this season. He'll probably play in the second leg but can't see him getting many minutes in the second half of the season other than league games when rotation is needed between CL and FA Cup matches (as in when the league is won/all but won)

Remember back to Pellers tenure, particularly games in the champions league when was paired in central midfield with Fern. Nobody would have dreamt of playing him as a single holding midfield player then. Yaya's defensive capabilities have been a long term issue.

Yaya was at his best when he had Fernandinho/Barry/De Jong playing behind/alongside him. It's not so much that his abilities/athleticism have left him, it's simply the tactics that we play. We rightly play them tactics because we're a better team for it, but people saying that Yaya is a disgrace/nowhere near good enough for this level don't understand that the reason he's not at his best is because he's not playing a system that suits him. It was only a few months ago that he was far and away the best player on the pitch in an FA Cup Semi Final which is why Pep gave him another 12 months.

I agree with that,the way we play now we just can't have him in the middle i'm afraid,bristol at home are aggressive and we will all need to press,it will have to be our first team midfield now,i had wanted to start first team and get it down last night to hopefully save the best players the trip,now we can't do that one game from the final
yaya can't play against the arses or chavs in the prem so he shouldn't be playing them if we get there

Doesn't have the mobility to cover the gaps in open play, but i thought he was really important in defending set-pieces against such a big team. Got his a head on a lot of the corners/free-kicks.

Yaya was at his best when he had Fernandinho/Barry/De Jong playing behind/alongside him. It's not so much that his abilities/athleticism have left him, it's simply the tactics that we play. We rightly play them tactics because we're a better team for it, but people saying that Yaya is a disgrace/nowhere near good enough for this level don't understand that the reason he's not at his best is because he's not playing a system that suits him. It was only a few months ago that he was far and away the best player on the pitch in an FA Cup Semi Final which is why Pep gave him another 12 months.

Agree with that, we haven't needed him because the players have taken to the plan, so well & this season, Pep's system has worked. If it hadn't, & people didn't understand his instructions as well as they have done, we would probably be glad we had Yaya to fall back on & he would keep us ticking over.

In any case, he has filled in where needed, allowing us to leave out players & give them an extra day off. Now it's time to consider whether he should play from the bench in front of young players, later in the season, if we have an opportunity to give them game time. I would prefer to see more minutes for young players used as sub, rather than Yaya & just keep him in reserve, then say goodbye later in the season.

No the reason why is because his legs are completly gone. He'd be even worse in a more offensive role as he wouldn't have the legs to make the first press or have the pace to go through/past their midfield. He's painfully slow these days and doesnt contribute to our play in any way.

No the reason why is because his legs are completly gone. He'd be even worse in a more offensive role as he wouldn't have the legs to make the first press or have the pace to go through/past their midfield. He's painfully slow these days and doesnt contribute to our play in any way.

His legs haven't completely gone at all, we heard the same from people on this forum a few weeks ago about Aguero which, likewise, wasn't true. He's not fully fit and fully sharp, I'd agree but that's because he's not playing regularly. Your legs don't go overnight - at the end of last season, he was one of our best players. He just doesn't play in a system that suits him. Unfortunately for him, City are a better team in that system but if he was to play in a team that suited that system, he'd still be one of their best players.

And doesn't contribute to our play in any way? 91.9% passing accuracy was the best on the pitch by any midfielder, and very impressive given the way that Bristol pressed us. He also, unusually, made a couple of important defensive headers which I haven't seen from him in years. He had a good game against Bristol, the stats bear that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.