Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread.

I can't agree with this OB1. Of the team that lost there in 2014 only Fernandinho played today (Aguero came on as a sub) and our manager and his staff are also completely different. From City teams that played at Anfield under Mancini there are no survivors. There can be nothing about Anfield, the Liverpool club badge, You'll never walk alone or anything else that puts City at any psychological disadvantage. In Pellegrini's last season we turned in a display of such heart chilling incompetence at Anfield and lost 3-0. Last year we lost 1-0. But these results were all too typical of our results against top six teams. This season we have won at Stamford Bridge, the swamp and in Naples. The reason is not that mental weakness at the mention of Anfield is a consequence of signing for City but simply that we haven't played well enough there. Today we did not fall apart when the second goal went in, though we did make two more costly errors. Any side making such errors will find it hard to win. But we didn't fall apart - we played our football, did not panic and came within a whisker of a point. I remember in 2011 when we had won once at OT since 1974, we couldn't play at OT because we were frightened of a club for which victory was in their genes! The real reason is that we had never played well enough there - but we all know what happened in 2011! None of our players showed any sign of mental weakness!
Good post sir.

I can't agree with this OB1. Of the team that lost there in 2014 only Fernandinho played today (Aguero came on as a sub) and our manager and his staff are also completely different. From City teams that played at Anfield under Mancini there are no survivors. There can be nothing about Anfield, the Liverpool club badge, You'll never walk alone or anything else that puts City at any psychological disadvantage. In Pellegrini's last season we turned in a display of such heart chilling incompetence at Anfield and lost 3-0. Last year we lost 1-0. But these results were all too typical of our results against top six teams. This season we have won at Stamford Bridge, the swamp and in Naples. The reason is not that mental weakness at the mention of Anfield is a consequence of signing for City but simply that we haven't played well enough there. Today we did not fall apart when the second goal went in, though we did make two more costly errors. Any side making such errors will find it hard to win. But we didn't fall apart - we played our football, did not panic and came within a whisker of a point. I remember in 2011 when we had won once at OT since 1974, we couldn't play at OT because we were frightened of a club for which victory was in their genes! The real reason is that we had never played well enough there - but we all know what happened in 2011! None of our players showed any sign of mental weakness!

I call that falling apart for 15 or whatever it was minutes!

I've already said that I don't think Pep is the issue but I think the fact we have such a rotten record there gets into the heads of the players, regardless of how often they have played there for us. We've been better than Liverpool for years now but we almost always screw up there; either it is a huge coincidence, a jinx or a mental issue.

I might be wrong but I am going with mental issue. I want to be wrong by the way and long for the team to prove me wrong: aside from winning the UCL, building a decent record at Anfield is the last great hurdle for me, and the it is the Emirates, which we still have to go to and, I'll be amazed if we win the league game there.

Next person who tells me I'm talking out of my backside about how we're psychologically fucked at Anfield, can I refer you back to this game? We were piss poor on the ball today and got what we deserved.
But why? The atmosphere is a complete myth, we’ve been to old Trafford, Stamford bridge and San Paulo and won. If this is psychological (which I’m not ruling out) why the fuck is it still a problem?

as a side note. really impressed with bernardo when he came on. made things happen and scored a good goal.
He turned the game on its head. My MOTM - KDB second consistent but not brilliant.
Beg to differ slightly. The complete lack of defensive play when it was most needed by us caused that result.That 1st goal is fucking criminal from 2 or 3 of our players.
But against Chelsea by playing the full backs inside we could lose a ball but win it back quickly because we outnumbered then in the centre. Today once Fernandinho was bypassed we were in trouble as runners pilled forward.

Those errors are the reason they deserve it.

At times our defending was as bad as anything you will see from any team all season. You don't deserve to win, if you play that poorly.
I think the argument should be not who deserved to win... clearly if we make so many mistakes that lead to goals and they don't we can't say we deserve to win.

The argument most are having seems to be which was the biggest factor how good Liverpool were or how off form we were today? I personally think Bristol legitimately forced more errors the way some are describing Liverpool today, we made their press easier for them today with our poor play, we've beaten presses better than that from worse teams than Liverpool who took their goals well regardless of how they came. They are still nowhere near as good as us for me.

Thought gundogan was poor today,comes no where near as a merlin replacement,hardest game of the season out of the way.

That was a definite foul on stones,pushed in the back,only last month the Everton forward went down in almost the exact spot and won a penalty,big game changing moment,our luck changed in that moment for there 2nd goal..

You need to watch the replay then, to be honest.

It was a push but he'd already done the damage by slowing down and sleedi
To those who say Stones wasn`t fouled, if it was at the other end of the pitch and a Liverpool defender pushed over Aguero would you be calling for a penalty?

He was in trouble the minute he misread the pace of the ball and seemed to slow down. Still think it was a borderline foul but he put himself in that position.

They "deserve" it because they scored more than we did, but we gave them all their goals. Our pressing was as good as theirs for me, and but for the Stones mistake/foul, when we should actually have been taking an attacking free kick in their half, who knows how it might have ended.

By our standards this season, we were a little below par, they on the other hand, had their game of the season, but still only won, because we made last years errors.

It wasn't they constantly pressed us into mistakes and misplaced passes, giving away throw ins etc. They don't what we normally do well better today and is why they won

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.