Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread.

Liverpool are getting really excited about this win as if it is a watershad moment that they proved they are better if not ten times better than the best team in the premier. What they forget is that they scored 3 goals in a few minutes, didnt play us off the park, we actually made their goals in our mistakes, they got the rub of the green, and still at the end we were doing our usual pushing for a winner/equaliser in the last few minutes and my god Anfield was quiet.

The City comeback (after our errors) was impressive and means we suffered no breaking of our confidence going into the next games (Though would like to see Kompany instead of Stones for the next few games) and we're set to keep on winning.

Had we not come back into that game we would have been on the end of a thrashing, Liverpool would be full of confidence going into the last part of the season, and ours would be shattered.

Liverpool were excellent and deserved their win. Our willingness (some might say stubbornness) to continue with Pep's playing philosophy even when we were 4-1 down almost got us an unlikely draw.

If both teams get through to the QF of the Champions League I certainly wouldn't want to draw Liverpool.
Agree with your first paragraph totally.

On the second one then I’m not as sure. I think they would find it hard to sustain that level of pace (and quality of finish) over two games - whereas I can’t believe we would make so many mistakes

Thought we missed David quite a bit tbh, his ability to hold the ball past their press and to move their midfield about would have helped us a lot last night. Sergio was awful last night, constantly slowing down play but then trying to do too much with it and losing the ball, leaving us overloaded in defence. Luckily for us, we have a weeks rest and the next few games *on paper* aren't as difficult as they could be so we can get Jesus back and ready.

We had a 15 minute spell of losing the plot defensively, much like they did against us. But the one real positive for me was the drive we showed at the end, even though it was too late, we kept doing what Pep wants us to do and not just hoof it up top.

Bottom line is, we play risky football that has big rewards and those rewards have been constant this season, it was bound to fail at some point. But IIRC, the same thing happened for Bayern against Dortmund and they still had a good season so nothing to panic about.

Good post.

Missing Silva, Mendy and GJ hurt us badly yesterday. Their stand ins aren't up to dealing with a team like Liverpool who were well up for the game urged on by their cultish following.

Hopefully this season will see us win some silverware but next season with some key additions should see us become the real deal which I don't think we currently are (I don't think Pep thinks so either)

BTW for all the praise for Liverpool and they did do well, it took several brainfarts from City players to hand them the game. Oh and it was a foul on Stones. All this 'he's got to be stronger' is bollocks. A push in the back is a push in the back and is a foul.

CTID

I was thinking if Jesus had been available Pep would have played with a false 9 as he did at the swamp. Yesterday we struggled with the press because the defence go wide but there was a lack of options for coming short from midfield/attack. Unfortunately Sergio can't play that role as he neither has the energy or vision and he is unable to hold the ball up to any great effect.

Sergio really misses Mendy as much as anyone else as it takes away his most effective armory, movement in the box as the ball rarely gets in there with pace. Sane is excellent but he doesn't whip it in first time like Mendy

To compound it fern had one of his worst games I have ever seen him play as his passing which is crucial was terrible.

Liverpool were excellent and deserved their win. Our willingness (some might say stubbornness) to continue with Pep's playing philosophy even when we were 4-1 down almost got us an unlikely draw.

If both teams get through to the QF of the Champions League I certainly wouldn't want to draw Liverpool.

Over the 2 games we won 1 and lost 1.. scored 8 conceeded 4
If we draw them in champions league I would think we would progress and moreso if Silva and Jesus are back

This relates to earlier threads, particularly those around the LC tie at Leicester, when it was felt by some that we might better off out of the competition.
The problem now is that we're looking jaded, and injuries are beginning to take their toll. (just like they did in 2014 and 2016). We're going for all competitions, but suddenly we look nervous, and it won't get any easier.
Also, when Jesus returns, we need him to score, because almost under the radar, he was out of form at the time of his injury.

I don't know what Pep could have done to be weaker in the League Cup and still we managed to get through. The Christmas run would have killed most teams and we did phenomenally well. Liverpool just had a week in Dubai to chill and profited. We beat Leicester away with Mahrez and Vardy in the team with us having Zinchenko, Dele-Bashiru, Mangala, Tosin, Yaya and Nmecha on the pitch.

In one word I would sum up the display - Sloppy.

I think it’s been coming for 5 or 6 games. Our passing has not been as crisp and decision making not of the high standard of earlier in the season.

Whether that’s fatigue or a bit of relaxation I’m not sure.

The one player who frustrates me the most at present is Sane. Yes he scored...but I thought in this ( and vs Bristol ) he should have had far more impact on the overall game. He has everything needed but is far too soft at present

The 3-2 the other year pissed me right off and thought we had blown the league, this doesn't and seeing scouser celebrate like they just won the champs league and rags in the pub cheering their goals and showing how much they hurt at us at the top makes it bearable.

How much it means to them is a compliment to us but I see building a decent record at Anfield as a touchstone on the way to having a truly great team.

The 3-2 the other year pissed me right off and thought we had blown the league, this doesn't and seeing scouser celebrate like they just won the champs league and rags in the pub cheering their goals and showing how much they hurt at us at the top makes it bearable.

Fucking plastic rags cheering scouse goals and a win that moves them level with utd, wankers. Lost the plot a bit yesterday as i was surrounded by 'em. I pointed out that no proper red would ever cheer a Liverpool goal, and was backed up by, yes you guessed it, a couple of proper united supporters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.